Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

I recent switched to rogers and have had the service for a few weeks now. The problem started last week  the WiFi would just shut off and be off for 3-5 mins every 2-4 hours. Restarted the modem would stop it from occurring for about one day. When this happens the Ethernet is fine and does not lose internet or anything and logging into the modem displays an up time on the WiFi of 0 seconds while it is down, but the modem doesn't seem to log anything but logins.

I called in two times, the first tech restarted the modem and said all is good and that was it, the second sent a tech. When the tech came I explained what was happening and said it is the temporary line, I asked then why was the Ethernet fine. He responded with it can be caused by the line as it is temporary and vanished. I later asked my roommate if he saw him leave and he mentioned he was going to his van to see if there was an order for a permanent line to the house and that was the last we saw of him.

Since then I have switched to bridge mode and plugged in my old router and it has only gone off once and it was the modem rebooting for some reason in the middle of the night. The issue with this is my router can't handle Gigabit speeds and I was hoping that the one Rogers provided would be adequate. The modem Rogers gave me is the Arris XB6.

*Added Labels*

Re: Ignite TV - WiFi Disconnects Randomly

Hello, @Azsune.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting the WiFi connectivity issue in the Community.

The WiFi going offline for 3-5 minutes every 2-4 hours seems strange, has anything changed prior to this issue occurring? Like relocating the modem or adding a cordless phone base close to the modem etc. 

When the WiFi goes offline, have you noticed the TVs stopped streaming?

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi @RogersMoin,

I have the modem in the same spot it was setup in, I also don't have any cordless phones. The TV's stop streaming due to the WiFi going out. I only made a change after it started happening by bridging the modem and using my own router to make it stable, but this was after the tech had come and left.

Hello, @Azsune.

I appreciate your effort of bridging the modem and trying your own router. Since the WiFi continues to remain stable through your router, we can look into swapping out the modem. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps.  You can find details about our private messaging in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Around

Everything cuts out, every hour or two. Phones, gaming system, computers, Tv's...
We just had Rogers installed yesterday, the first time I have ever switched companies in over 20 years... This is a little disappointing. And I really am not into calling and sitting on hold for hours.
My husband also said the box they installed was used. Perhaps the problem could be as simple as the box?

I've Been Here Awhile

@Momofboys 

My issue was never resolved. They came and replaced my cable modem and the issue went a way for a couple of days then started right back up. Restarting it stops it from happening for a few hours but doesn't solve the problem. I ended up just turning off the WiFi and using my own access point. This stopped all the disconnecting but didn't resolve my modems WiFi issue as I am paying a rental I at least expect it to work.

I have switched companies a few times in the past few years. The best support came from Start.ca but they do not have the speed of Rogers or Bell and their TV is subpar(main reason I switched to Rogers). I miss not renting equipment and being able to select my own hardware but they don't provide the same level of service.

Hello @Momofboys,

Welcome to the Community!

Disruptions can really be inconvenient. Did the pattern continue today as well? I realize waiting on the phones can be quite an ordeal, you can always contact our tech support staff via Live Chat and social media as well.

RogersZia

I've Been Around

I've had Rogers Ignite for a few months now and up until Sun, Sep 22/19 its been working perfectly. Then all of sudden my internet would go offline for around 5 mins or so, like some of the other customers have said, randomly throughout the day...and yes the tv as well. I've spoke to countless technicians over the phone and of course as I was talking to them everything looked good on the their end but had my modem rebooted anyway. It did not help. I've had four technicians come to my house in a week and a half with the first three claiming they fixed the problem. They've switched out filters, switched cables, swapped out my modem, swapped out the three pods and even ran a temporary cable because the buried one at my house was suspect. The fourth technician told me since he ran the temporary cable there have been no "flaps" at all, but unfortunately my internet was still going offline.  So just tonight Fri, Oct 4th I decided to seek out answers for myself online which has been a bit of a task since my internet went down twice while I was doing it. When I found this forum and someone mentioned ethernet, I thought, my son's Xbox has a wired connection and wondered if it still worked and sure enough it did. So it seems to me the WiFi is not broadcasting even though the light on my modem is solid white which I'm told is what you want to see.

Someone needs to figure this out because it is extremely frustrating to say the least. My kids are in school and have had to go to a friend's house to finish online assignments and to do research...... that is not acceptable!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi @93forever  and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.  When the Rogers techs were working in your home, did they do a WiFi "health check" of any kind or did they focus exclusively on your Internet connection?

Faulty hardware is always a possibility but 99% of the time, sudden Wi-Fi connectivity issues are caused by local interference or conflicts with your neighbours' WiFi.  This is especially a problem in areas where there are many WiFi networks and a neighbour's equipment is operating on the same channel that you are using.  If your XB6 modem/gateway is located in your basement and sets its WiFi channels automatically, it may not pick up a strong signal from any of your neighbours' equipment and therefore may not be able to make an optimal automatic channel selection.

If you are connecting on a 2.4 GHz channel, you could also be getting interference from non-Wi-Fi equipment operating on those same frequencies.  (One of my friends suddenly started losing W-iFi every day at around the same time.  It then happened again one day right after saying goodnight to his neighbours, who had to put their baby to bed.  He lost Wi-Fi when they turned on their baby monitor.)

You can troubleshoot potential problems with a Wi-Fi scanner on your computer/tablet/smart phone.  With this tool, you can view all WiFi networks in your area and check to see whether any nearby networks are using the same WiFi channels as your modem.  When you lose Wi-Fi connectivity, you can also use this tool to double-check whether your modem's WiFi is still active.  You can also check for errors in your modem's error log by logging into it and going to "Troubleshooting > Logs"

In other threads, we have discussed how to troubleshoot problems with slow Wi-Fi speeds but many of those tips can also be used to improve the stability of your Wi-Fi network:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/429489#M54216

Re: the Wi-Fi scanner: That troubleshooting post contains links for some tools that you can install on a PC. If you have an iPhone or other iOS device, you can install Apple's "AirPort Utility" from the App Store.  The utility is meant to configure Apple's (now discontinued) Wi-Fi gear but it also has a Wi-Fi scanner that can be enabled in settings.  If you have a Mac, macOS contains Wireless Diagnostics that contain a Wi-Fi scanner.  Similar tools are also available on Android.

I've Been Here Awhile

The same problem started with us yesterday. All TVs go on and off randomly. Very aggravating. Might have switched to Ignite too soon.