Ignite TV - 4K Channels errors, macroblocking

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Ignite TV - 4K Channels errors, macroblocking

I see that you're on 507. In Toronto SN14K is on 997 and SN4K is on 998. Do you have those mapped channel options in Ottawa?  (I don't get 4K since I still use a NB3 (9865) but am looking strictly at my guide).

I Plan to Stick Around

Thx for replying; in Ottawa we have both 507 and 997 mapped to SN4K, and both right now are showing the SNO feed of the Jays game.

Community,

I can imagine the disappointment when the 4K channels freezes or errors out; thank you all for sharing the different issues surrounding 4K channels. Do you all have tickets submitted for this issue?

Please don't hesitate to send us a private message at @CommunityHelps so that we can collect the required data and submit a ticket on your behalf.

Thank you all for your patience!

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMoin  -  I have already had two tickets opened and closed.  Each time I open a ticket I get an automated call the next day informing me the problem has been resolved.  It hasn't.  I have two work colleagues - both in Ottawa - who are having the same problems as described by myself and others in these messages.  In fact, the Blue Jays home games don't even seem to be broadcast in 4k anymore - it shows the icon for SNO (it used to show SN4K).  TSN4k has never worked for me.  As mentioned, this does not seem to be an isolated issue with one subscriber.  Can Rogers please address the 4K issue in the Ottawa area.  Thank you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

People who are encountering these issues may wish to contact the office of the president. I've usually found them quite responsive.  I use the following link and ask for a call back. They usually call back in a day or two (business days).  I've even had them call me back in an hour or two on occasion.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

The "problem" here is that there are probably not that many people trying to get 4K in Ottawa, so it's not like there are thousands of complaints...

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, but that link just took me to live chat, been there, done that.  I have pretty much just given up.  I have opened multiple tickets and each time I get a automated call saying its been fixed.  It hasn't.  The Blue Jays home games aren't even being broadcast in 4K anymore  - at least on my TV and everyone else I know in Ottawa with Ignite TV.  They too have called Rogers about the issue and get the same response. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jjjjy7 wrote:

Thanks, but that link just took me to live chat, been there, done that.  

Yes, but have you live chatted with the Office of the President?  Or have you used the fill in the blanks option and asked for a call back per the link?  If not, the link I provided is different from regular live chat.  Also, the moderators on this forum have been quite useful for me.  Perhaps you could PM them using this hyperlink:  @CommunityHelps 

I Plan to Stick Around

So a tech dropped by for a visit today, thought I would share this amusing story...

I showed him the macroblocking/frozen picture issue with FST4K, as that's the easiest issue to see when no 4k content is being live-broadcasted on the other channels.

On consulting with whatever central office he was communicating with, he was adamant that the issue was because the modem was "stuffed" being in a TV cabinet, and "overheating" was causing interference with some of those channels.  Never mind that the cabinet had sufficient ventilation, I played along and moved the modem out into the open.  Hardware reboot, and of course the issue persisted.

Next, he does a modem swap, just because.  It was the obvious easy next step in the playbook, and of course nothing changed.

He then says that he's done all he can, he's escalated to his manager/supervisor who will contact me on troubleshooting next steps, and like that he's gone.

Anyway, none of this really surprised.  I made mention of this thread, that others in the Ottawa region are experiencing the same issues, etc, which the tech didn't seem to process or want to acknowledge.

Before going the OOTP route, I'll have one last go with the supervisor, perhaps he may be more willing to push the issue upward after seeing it with his eyes... or perhaps not...

I Plan to Stick Around

The failure to acknowledge that this is an issue that others are seeing and easily reproducible is the most frustrating part. I point tech support to this forum yet I have to go through the usual troubleshooting steps (reboot, try another box, etc.) I declined the tech visit lol.

On a side note, I'm curious if FST4K was part of your original channel line-up? I had to add it through the free 4K Channel Pack. However, after doing that, it seemed to have screwed up my ability to change Flex Channels online lol.

I Plan to Stick Around

@JG24 wrote:

The failure to acknowledge that this is an issue that others are seeing and easily reproducible is the most frustrating part. I point tech support to this forum yet I have to go through the usual troubleshooting steps (reboot, try another box, etc.) I declined the tech visit lol.

On a side note, I'm curious if FST4K was part of your original channel line-up? I had to add it through the free 4K Channel Pack. However, after doing that, it seemed to have screwed up my ability to change Flex Channels online lol.

Yeah, I believe FST4K only comes in the 4K Channel Pack, which I got as part of my service subscription.

The problem with FST4K is easy to show; it also happens on 515/991 TSN5K, though a lot less exciting when there is nothing on and it's just a static image, lol:

20190806_120942.jpg

So for those keeping score, I'll just summarize at least what I'm seeing here in Ottawa wrt the 4K channels:

• 983 NOW4K: looks okay
  • 984 FST4K: plays fine for ~10 sec, then frozen picture/macroblocking, audio continues
  • 521/990 TSN2K: as far as I can tell, seems okay, though will need to reassess once there's 4K programming (which appears to only be CFL broadcasts)
  • 515/991 TSN5K: plays fine for ~10 sec, then frozen picture/macroblocking (I assume audio unaffected like 984)
  • 509/996 SN14K: as far as I can tell, seems okay, though will need to reassess once there's 4K programming
  • 507/997 SN4K: plays back SNO (non-4K) feed, most obvious when Blue Jays home broadcasts are on