SMC Networks Modem/Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

SMC Networks Modem/Router

When I upgraded to Rogers Extreme Plus I had to adopt this modem -- I already had a router I preferred (a dlink DIR-655) and didn't want to figure out how to configure my non-PC peripherals for internet access, I ended up accessing the SMC configuration menu and disabling the router/gateway functionality and just using the SMC as a modem.

- good new is, it's a setup that has worked well for me and I've had no further issues, EXCEPT - I realized that I forgot to click off "disable wireless module" from the SMC menu before I disabled the Gateway/router access.

- now whenever I type in http://192.168.0.1/ -- I naturally reach my Dlink router, and not the SMC modem -- I'd like to turn wireless off of the SMC modem, but don't know how to get access to the system menu?   I tried just plugging my PC into one of the SMC's LAN ports (like the Dlink modem currently is), but no luck.

- how can I access the SMC menu if I'm connecting through another router?  Any other way to turn off the SMC wireless module?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: SMC Networks Modem/Router

You can either call Rogers tech support and get them to turn the SMC into bridge mode which will disable all router functionality.

Or

Try going into your dlink and check the wan IP. Then try to browse to the wan IP while plugged into the SMC directly like you tried before.

Or

Connect to the SMC wireless and try to access the config...
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the quick response, Chris.

- I went through my dlink to get my WAN IP, but I can't connect to that address through a browser, either when plugged directly into the SMC or otherwise.

- also can't connect to the SMC wireless, using either the same IP address or 192.168.0.1.

Something is kind of wacky though, since I can see 2 other networks when I search for wireless networks - one that says D3GN_SSID0, which I can connect to, and something that just says "Network 4"

- I guess I'll have to call Rogers support to turn off the wireless module - I think the SMC is already in bridge mode though if I turned off Gateway/router access, isn't it?
I Plan to Stick Around

Final message to close this out - called tech support as Chris indicated and they flipped the switch for me.  Thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you might also want to replace your modem with the non-wireless one.. it would actually work out better for you and be more efficient

Be sure to click Likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as a Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).

I Plan to Stick Around

> you might also want to replace your modem with the non-wireless one.. it would actually work out better for you and be more efficient

Unfortunately, the SMC router/modem was the only option available for the Extreme Plus or Ultimate packages when I upgraded a couple of months ago, and I purchased the unit instead of renting it.   Is there a standalone modem option now?   Too late to help me, but it would be good to know for future recommendations/options.

I Plan to Stick Around

Network 4 might be a neighbour's router which they have forgotten to secure. 

I Plan to Stick Around

RogersPaul,

Pray tell, is Rogers now offering a standalone DOCSIS 3 modem? There have been many posts in this forum requesting just such a beast, and your comment StefanJ implies that there is a new choice available that nobody knows about. Please enlighten us!!!
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Hi skutflut and StefanJ,

At this time, Rogers only offers the SMC D3GN gateway for Extreme (15Mbps service), Extreme Plus (25Mbps) and Ultimate (50Mbps).

Re: RogersPaul's message, I'm assuming that he may have been referring to switching to a standard DOCSIS 2 modem for use with an Ultra Lite, Lite or Express connection. There wouldn't be much of a point to using the D3 gateway if you wanted to use your own router on a lower tiered service.

Hope this clears things up.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have no idea if rogers offers/offered any Docsis 3 modem, all I know is I had that stupid SMC thingy combined modem and wireless router, and it was giving me so many problems, i replaced it with the regular modem only and used my own wireles router and ever since then i have had no issues

hope this helps