Outlook.com can't set up Rogers POP3 email accounts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Outlook.com can't set up Rogers POP3 email accounts

No prob.
Glad you got it resolved 🙂

sharty
I've Been Around

Hello: I have been having similar problems with adding my Rogers account to OUtlook.com. I have tried the solution posted here as well as others I have found on various community forums but no luck.

I am using pop.broadband.rogers.com 110

smtp.broadband.rogers.com 587

Any suggestions?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned above, enter in the IP address for the server not the name.

amattera
I've Been Here Awhile

Wondering if anyone is having trouble updating these settings with the new SSL requirements.

When i try to change the incoming server to use SSL with port 995, I get an error saying can't connect to server, even with the IP address. If I try to use "pop.broadband.rogers.com" same problem as before.

Also, for some reason I cannot ping the pop server. I can get a response for the smtp server but not incoming. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Thanks,

Andre

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There might be something else going on.. if your are not able to PING the rogers POP server.. something blocking it.

I checked from my work connection (bell) as well as my home connection (rogers), both with the rogers DNS server and the Google DNS server, and it responded to pings each time.

amattera
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm not sure what could be going on except maybe a reliability issue of some sort as I tried many times to ping both in and out Rogers servers and sometimes I could see the smtp server and not pop but I did finally get a response from www.pop.broadband.rogers.com and confirmed the IP address I was using in outlook.com

However, after several attempts in outlook.com, it finally resolved the server name instead of having to use the IP address as I had been previously, so I'm not sure if that's fixed in general or I just got lucky but the new SSL settings seem to be working for now.

Thanks,

Andre

iso2001
I've Been Around

Called support this morning , spent ove 1 hour on the phone talking to tech support who was reading the manual for configuting outlook. My sent email would not work after the change with rogers recomended setting. To get rid of me instead of helping me to resolve the problem the tech. support guy blaimed my software and told me to call microsoft because the mail program was bad. I have 3 other accounts on the same software ( gmail, hotmail , etc. ) , every single one works great. Spent fristrated waisting my entire weekend till I got again on the forum to find out that I can use as SMTP port : 587. It works now. I want to tell you a BIG Thank you.

Mediaman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I use Outlook 2010 on my desktop. My incoming email was taking forever to process ( ie 30 seconds instead of  2 or 3 ) , so I tried the above suggestion to replace the pop3 server name (pop.broadband.rogers.com) with an IP address (98.139.214.182) and it worked great!! Thanks for the great suggestions!

For interest, when I pinged pop.broadband.rogers.com, I got a slightly different IP address :98.139.212.159.  As well, it resolved to pop-secure-rog.mail.am0.yahoodns.net when giving the ping results.

So, performance was SLOW with :

>> pop.broadband.rogers.com

but FAST with any of :

>> 98.139.214.182

>> 98.139.212.159

>> pop-secure-rog.mail.am0.yahoodns.net

Does it matter which IP address is used?

I guess actual IP addresses are faster ( though may change over time), so for now I am using  98.139.212.159.  Good to have options!!

Thanks.

PS 1 - When I recently set up my cell phone, it automatically used imap.mail.yahoo.com. It works great, for the cell but didnt worked well in Outlook on the desktop.

PS 2, I am using google primary/secondary DNS addresses on my network ( 8.8.8.8 ; 8.8.4.4 ) so that may or may not be related.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That you bring up the DNS..

IF the rogers DNS (i am guessing that is still your primary?) is having issues right now, could be that its not resolving the pop.broadband.rogers.com properly (though you think, that is one they SHOULD be getting right? :P)

Going via the IP address.. you are bypassing that it needs to do the address translation.

As far as i know, either should work... if one stops working, switch it to the other.

The pop.broadband.rogers.com is just a psudo address.. and not the end location address.  Essentially something to point to, which then forwards onto the END server(s).

Most phones, if you do the auto setup, will setup with the imap... and imap usually works the BEST. 
Rogers doesnt have a forward for the imap... but really your going off of yahoo servers anyways.. so thats why its showing the yahoo imap.
imap SHOULD work in outlook as well.  Never set it up myself though.

Mediaman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

What is the actual address for the "rogers DNS" ?

I am actually NOT using it right now. My router has the Unblock-US addresses ( needed from my Roku) and my desktop overrides that with the google DNS values for priamry and secondary.

I can certainly try a Rogers DNS for primary...but I dont know the value ....