LTE Apple watch support and plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

It would be nice to see Rogers actually be specific for once.  They already support VoLTE, so , what precisely are they not able to do for the Watch?

Are they unable to do eSIM provisioning?  (Apple's not the only one doing this - Intel, Qualcomm and Microsoft are big supporters of eSIM proliferation).

I Plan to Stick Around

Lol, Come on supporting VoLTE if Rogers didn't support this it would be the slowest LTE network in the whole world

Just so you know smartphone used to need at least two channels one for talking and one for Data, before 2010 peoples were consuming more voice than data, after 2010 it all changed and people were consuming more data than voice so carriers transfered the voice channel on data Voice over IP and used both channels for data that is why back in 2011 we began to see faster network (double the previous speed because of the 2 data channels) this way they can benefit from the old voice channel that wasn't used anymore.  

Rogers need to update there networks after sitting on their Laurels for so long, it needs to support eSim and also needs to be able to support 2 devices on a single phone number.

Traditional cellular network only rings a single cellular tower when someone calls you (the last tower your phone sync with) but with the Apple Watch series3 it might needs to rings on two towers if you're not carrying both devices and Rogers network can't do that, so you will for sure miss some calls unless you always carry both devices. Rogers has invest so much money into getting the NHL exclusive rights and so much money into try to compete Netflix with Shomi (poorly failed), Rogers fidelity points « first Rewards » point (even more failed) that they forgot all about their main business (telecommunication). Thanks to the Vancouver winter Olympics in 2010, Bell and Telus drop their CDMA networks to replace them with GSM networks  (to be able to offer tourists a carrier solution into Canada) and they are regularly upgrading their networks as oppose to Rogers which is the main reason both Rogers and Telus will be before years end 2017 supporting the Apple Watch series 3 while Rogers won't be able before 2nd or 3rd trimester of 2018, if they decide rapidly to support the Apple Watch series3 or wait for the series 4 if they don't have the money because loosing to much customers to Bell and Telus.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the story. 🙂  (I've worked in tech and telecom for over 20 years btw) 🙂

Yes, the standards dictate that all of the targets for call resolution can/will be active at the same time - the logic for this will be in the telco's switches - all of the targets will get the signal, whichever one sends a return (off hook) back first will get the context for the call setup.

Rogers doesn't have excuses for not having this setup in time to support this launch...again, they belonged to the GSMA long before Bell and Telus did.

They should be specific as to what changes they need to make and the timelines to implementation (as well as an ETA on being able to provide the service).

I Plan to Stick Around

Since you've work in telecom for over 20 years you probably also know that each carrier has to commit to a minimum amount of devices bought from the device builder otherwise the carrier doesn't have access to the device specific protocol and how to handle specific functions etc. So Rogers has to commit first to an amount of Apple Watch series 3 like Bell and Telus already did. Then Apple will give them the require files so that Rogers can implement them to its network and only then Rogers might offer the Apple Watch series 3 support. This is why you can't easily switch from an Android to an iPhone or vice versa just by switching your Sim card an expect all specific functions to work well (visual voice mail on the iPhone an many more).😉

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, it used to be that the devices were carrier branded (I doubt the watches that Apple's shipping have any branding to them).  Still, each batch would have a range of addresses that the carrier would use for provisioning.

Yes, you can have platform specific services which would complicate using different platforms with a single SIM (often the carriers have different APN's for these devices to segment the traffic).

Heh...this still doesn't give any cause for Rogers not being able to provision these. 🙂  I think they really should be providing some specifics and some timelines.

I Plan to Stick Around

I completely agree with you on this!! Out of respect for its customers they should let us know.

The AW s3 eSim cards are assigned for each country and won't work when you're out of the country contrary to the iPhone you can buy anywhere and use them where ever the Apple Watch won't.

I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, I'm not convinced that the eSIM's have either the MCC or MNC already coded.

It could very well be that Apple's stating that just so they preserve their local "Apple Tax".   (i.e. we're only getting a 75 cent dollar if you check Apple's exchanges on the new products).  Kinda lousy considering our dollar was 82 cents when they were released.

I'm hoping people have done some cross-border shopping and verified this long before Rogers finally gets their network in shape to provision these.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am not changing my watch just now.  I have a first gen apple watch.  However, whenever it stops working or is too slow to support software, I will get a new one.  If it is an Apple watch I buy, I will want to get the one with LTE, and I will want it to work on the mobile network...and for not more money than other carriers charge. So I hope this is on Rogers' road map to get done at some point.  Apple might be the first to have an accessory with direct LTE connectivity but probably won't be the last.  There should be a common standard for this actually, and it should be universally supported.

I Plan to Stick Around

What are your guys 2 cents on this?
I ordered a series 3 Apple Watch with cellular arriving this Friday.
I’m on Rogers.
I saw the announcement as an exclusivity to Bell and Telus til end of 2017, and then in early 2018, Rogers will support the watch.
Hence why I went ahead with my order.

Are the odds against me that Rogers may not support the watch for at least a year? 0.o
I Plan to Stick Around

Same here I already have the watch, I can’t wait for Rogers to support this service. And obviously I'm not gonna switch carrier just for that, but I hope they are actively working on that, so they can flip the switch on a.s.a.p