LTE Apple watch support and plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

Meowmix, I’m not even certain if they’ve confirmed that support is coming next year. As far as I know Rogers statement is just “we aren’t supporting the Apple Watch currently” with no confirmed plans to support it in the future.

It’s very aggravating to me as a consumer, as I’m planning to buy a Watch and would prefer the LTE model, but what would be the point if Rogers decides not to upgrade their support for it? My guess is that the Apple Watch is probably a ~5 year purchase, so I’m stuck with my choice. It would be nice if Rogers would give a concrete confirmation regarding upcoming support (or lack thereof).
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Angrymoose

This is a reply I got from a Rogers staff member and also from a internal manager as well.

" We will look at launching the cellular Apple watch next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standards."

So they are "looking" to launch it next year however there is little to no other information which is sad. Telus and Bell have already confirmed they will carry it and give service to it.

As much as i like Rogers, their new CEO and head managers have no clue what people want. Fido ( sister company of Rogers) confirmed they wouldn't carry the iPhone X. After posts on their forums and many complaining, they decided to carry it. Rogers only listens to their customers when we make a huge ruckess or the media starts sharing the news.
I've Been Here Awhile

“Next year” that could be next December. Is the problem. I’m looking at Bell, better coverage out of main cities. Makes me sad, I have been with Rogers for 18 years.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Roadgoddess

Yeah unfortunately that's the only thing they said. It can be any time next year. Hopefully this changes and we get to enjoy it.
I've Been Here Awhile

I have purchased an Apple Watch with LTE. It only cost me $90 more than the non-LTE watch, so I didn't think very hard about it (and it comes with more memory). Switching carriers would cost me - with the deal I've negotiated with Rogers - over $60 a month for the same service with Bell, since as a new customer, I wouldn't be privy to any retention benefits. Over a year, that's $720. Is having the watch with LTE that important to people? Adding the monthly fee, we're talking ~ $800/year.

I just don't see that much value in having standalone LTE; I'm annoyed that Rogers doesn't support it yet, but if they charge any more than $10/month for it, I'm even sure I'd activate it. 

I Plan to Stick Around

And they didn't say it was coming "next year", only that they would "look at it" next year. So they might look at it and say no.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers will lose us as a customer, we have a bill of 800$ a month from rogers and we have been loyal customers since the Cantell/Shaw Cable days. If Rogers doesn't implement the Apple Watch 3 LTE on their network in 2018 then we're gone.

I've Been Here Awhile

I agree
Also have a 2-300 $ bill per month and we are gone as well
If Rogers does not support Watch it’s s sign they are losing their innovative edge
I've Been Around

Please add the Apple Watch to your services!!! How many unhappy customers do you need before you offer the service!??
I Plan to Stick Around

Add me to the list, moving to Bell just so I can get Watch LTE

Bye Rogers, can’t say you will be missed.

ya snooze ya looze