cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Apple watch support and plan

Jay_Starks
I plan to stick around

Any idea on when the new Lte Apple watch will be supported on the Rogers network? If it is supported what would be the price plan? 

***Added Labels***

369 REPLIES 369

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

danheb
I plan to stick around

Rogers is so far behind, even its website is pass due, most of the pages don’t are not fully compatible with Apple iPhones and iPads lots of buttons do not response to touch screen, it’s not possible to simply « like » a comment it doen’t work we need to get on a computer...Come on Rogers your bread and butter is achieve with the IOS devices the least you could do would be to make it fully compatible.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @danheb

Weird on my iPad Air 2 I don't have a issue and same with my girlfriends iPhone 7 when accessing the website / forums. Hmm..

As for the watch. Yes i agree they need to get in times and say they will support it.

danheb
I plan to stick around

It looks like you will have to wait for a really long time, Rogers has changed its song, here are the new lyrics

»We will look at launching the cellular Apple watch next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standards. - Mahmood »

Be patient because after they build their systems to support the Apple Watch LTE they will still have to debug them and with Rogers programmers it could take a really long time. Maybe Rogers network will be ready for the Apple Watch series 9!!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @danheb

Yeah I got a response like that yesterday. It shows that they will support it however not until next year.

I do think it's due to the systems and how they will make both devices work on one number and line. So Bell has already done so and Telus hasn't given a date but will support it. Now Rogers says they will support it but next when they do get the support and functions for it.

Atleast they gave us a different answer.

danheb
I plan to stick around

What I meant was. It is not consistent sometimes the icon is dark and sometimes  it is light grey and it doesn’t react to the touch. On all my iPads Air 1, Air 2, Pro and iPhones 6s Plus and 7 Plus same things all on IOS 11. It was the same on 10,3.

I just figure it out, I needed to deactivate the developper profile.

nelson_bravo
I've been around

I will also switch to a carrier that support Apple Watch 3. 4 phone user.

Binap
I've been here awhile

Well then.  I’ll go chat with Bell Canada and see what my options are.

Best,

Steve

danheb
I plan to stick around

You might wait just a little bit more, I heard there is a problem with the Apple Watch series 3 with LTE, it doesn't connect well on LTE it keeps on connecting onto unwanted wifi network...It might need a software update to rectify this issue. It might Take a little time. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @danheb

That and the fact that battery dies within an hour or 2 using cellular. So really I wouldn't spend the money at this moment to get it until the bugs and battery issue has been fixed.

If i am spending that much money on a watch that is suppose to untethere your device and u can use the watch as the device, i rather have much more battery life and none LTE issues.

This is the CNET review on it.

" If you're pushing the unique features of the Series 3 with cellular, you're going to wipe out your battery quickly. I made a half-hour call to my mom as I walked into town a half mile away to get an iced coffee. A walk there, a walk back, checking email and listening to music (and using GPS with heart rate for the walks), I ended up at 50 percent battery by 3 p.m. Sure, I was using everything. But isn't that the point?"

danheb
I plan to stick around

It's well documented on Apple website that the Apple Watch series 3 will give you about 1 hour of talk time on LTE network, I can live with that as an emergency not to talk with all my friend but if it keeps on trying or connecting with unwanted wifi networks and when I need to use it the battery is drained out that is a whole lotta different story.

I will be really mad 🤔🤓

https://www.apple.com/ca/watch/battery.html

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @danheb

Thats the point though. They brought this out for you to enjoy it and talk on the phone or receive mesaage if you don't have your iPhone with you. If the battery will drain that quick when talking on the phone or with the WiFi / LTE issues then what's the point if rushing to get it right now? I rather wait until it's stable enough for me to warrant and justify my self being one. Although I wouldn't right now anyways lol

Wonder the reasoning for Rogers not to offer this, I would assume that those who would want an LTE Apple Watch would be customers that use a lot of features and therefore data. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Naftalim

They said the reason. They are holding back until Next Year to launch it. Read Below

" »We will look at launching the cellular Apple watch next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standards"

Telus has said they will carry it but also said the same as Rogers as they need to enable this technology and function to do both on one number. Telus however is letting customers know on their site that they will carry it.

Kathyz666
I've been around
I hope Rogers does because I would switch carrier because of the watch. The only reason I haven’t get the Apple Watch yet was because there is no cellular feature. But now with this feature, the new Apple Watch 3 is definitely on my Xmas wish list this year!!! I can wait till them and get my new IPhoneX, so plz Rogers!!! I have been with Rogers since.... for Forever! Don’t wanna leave you just because of this.

danheb
I plan to stick around
The only big difference is that Telus is alreayd working on this (before year end) while Rogers will think about it when time comes to upgrade their portfolio of devices not before next year...or the launch of the Apple Watch series 6😉

davekpatrick
I've been around

When is Rogers going to support Apple Watch 3 ?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @davekpatrick

" We will look at launching the cellular Apple watch next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standards"

Open_Mobile
I plan to stick around

It would be nice to see Rogers actually be specific for once.  They already support VoLTE, so , what precisely are they not able to do for the Watch?

Are they unable to do eSIM provisioning?  (Apple's not the only one doing this - Intel, Qualcomm and Microsoft are big supporters of eSIM proliferation).

danheb
I plan to stick around

Lol, Come on supporting VoLTE if Rogers didn't support this it would be the slowest LTE network in the whole world

Just so you know smartphone used to need at least two channels one for talking and one for Data, before 2010 peoples were consuming more voice than data, after 2010 it all changed and people were consuming more data than voice so carriers transfered the voice channel on data Voice over IP and used both channels for data that is why back in 2011 we began to see faster network (double the previous speed because of the 2 data channels) this way they can benefit from the old voice channel that wasn't used anymore.  

Rogers need to update there networks after sitting on their Laurels for so long, it needs to support eSim and also needs to be able to support 2 devices on a single phone number.

Traditional cellular network only rings a single cellular tower when someone calls you (the last tower your phone sync with) but with the Apple Watch series3 it might needs to rings on two towers if you're not carrying both devices and Rogers network can't do that, so you will for sure miss some calls unless you always carry both devices. Rogers has invest so much money into getting the NHL exclusive rights and so much money into try to compete Netflix with Shomi (poorly failed), Rogers fidelity points « first Rewards » point (even more failed) that they forgot all about their main business (telecommunication). Thanks to the Vancouver winter Olympics in 2010, Bell and Telus drop their CDMA networks to replace them with GSM networks  (to be able to offer tourists a carrier solution into Canada) and they are regularly upgrading their networks as oppose to Rogers which is the main reason both Rogers and Telus will be before years end 2017 supporting the Apple Watch series 3 while Rogers won't be able before 2nd or 3rd trimester of 2018, if they decide rapidly to support the Apple Watch series3 or wait for the series 4 if they don't have the money because loosing to much customers to Bell and Telus.

Open_Mobile
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the story. 🙂  (I've worked in tech and telecom for over 20 years btw) 🙂

Yes, the standards dictate that all of the targets for call resolution can/will be active at the same time - the logic for this will be in the telco's switches - all of the targets will get the signal, whichever one sends a return (off hook) back first will get the context for the call setup.

Rogers doesn't have excuses for not having this setup in time to support this launch...again, they belonged to the GSMA long before Bell and Telus did.

They should be specific as to what changes they need to make and the timelines to implementation (as well as an ETA on being able to provide the service).

danheb
I plan to stick around

Since you've work in telecom for over 20 years you probably also know that each carrier has to commit to a minimum amount of devices bought from the device builder otherwise the carrier doesn't have access to the device specific protocol and how to handle specific functions etc. So Rogers has to commit first to an amount of Apple Watch series 3 like Bell and Telus already did. Then Apple will give them the require files so that Rogers can implement them to its network and only then Rogers might offer the Apple Watch series 3 support. This is why you can't easily switch from an Android to an iPhone or vice versa just by switching your Sim card an expect all specific functions to work well (visual voice mail on the iPhone an many more).😉