cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Apple watch support and plan

Jay_Starks
I plan to stick around

Any idea on when the new Lte Apple watch will be supported on the Rogers network? If it is supported what would be the price plan? 

***Added Labels***

369 REPLIES 369

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @phopp

Compesation for what exactly? Your services as they should. The only reason you will get a compensation would be if your service does not work or has issues. They don't give out compensation if a agent made a mistake. We are all humans and make Mistakes.

However the agent should be pulled and trained a bit better and not give any misinformation like that.

Open_Mobile
I plan to stick around

Good!  I'm hoping Bell has really started something here that we'll all eventually benefit from.  One bucket of data - light up as many devices to share it for $5 per month - each (provided they have an eSIM).

Considering most people are only going to use one or two devices at a time, it really shouldn't be using up a lot of sessions on the carriers base stations.  It's practically free revenue for the carriers for a one-time provisioning.

(ie. why shouldn't they do it?) 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Open_Mobile

Agreed. Hopefully with this, carriers will start adapting to this and e-sim which is supposed to be coming out with new phones next year ( leaked out to be with the Galaxy S9 model) and start going toward instead of backwards.

Paul88
I've been here awhile

I just received my new iWatch 3 yesterday.  After calling Rogers for support so that the watch will work independently from the iPhone, they told me that they cannot do it.  Grrrrrrrrr.  I paid $1800 for the new watch with excitement about its untethering.  The technical support person was really pleasant and said he would look into it and call me back.  He did call me back and said that there were no dates for which Rogers would support this product.  I'm now going to explore BELL and TELUS as they apparently support it.  I'm disappointed as I've been with Rogers for about 30 years.  All good things come to an end.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Paul88

Dont know how you paid $1,800 when the highest Apple Watch 3 is $989 and that with taxes is near $1,100.....

As for Rogers, they said they won't support it at the moment and there is a thread already made about this on here. Unfortunately the reps give misinformation all the time ( as i am dealing with this issue right now with my mother and her services for Smart home).

Telus won't support it until December. However Bell does support it as of this moment. Rogers will release the service sometime next year as they said.

Paul88
I've been here awhile

You're right,  It wasn't $1800.  It was $1819 plus HST coming to over $2000 for the Hermes iWatch 3.  Check out apple.ca - go to iWatch, Buy, scroll down.  So it was a big investment and I'm dismayed that Rogers is not on the ball with this matter.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Paul88

Ahh you got thay high end model. Even then. The decision on paying that much for the watch was because you wanted it,not because Rogers told u it would work. Paying $2,000 for a watch style ( hermes wasn't Rogers decision lol). That's what I am trying to say but I see your point.

The watch will work as advertised but for it to work on LTE, unfortunately right now Bell is your only option until December when Telus lights up there network for it and next year Rogers will.

Yeah a big investment I agree. However Rogers reps should not be giving out false information when they do not know. Noticed this alot to be honest with them and other carriers. Also do some research before buying something as well. Never trust what a reps says unless its backed up.

Bohdiez
I've been around
What’s going on with the iWatch? I see Bell has a 5$ month plan. I’m assuming Rogers will be the same?

It’s been 3 weeks since released....

Tick Tock

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Bohdiez

If you read the thread, you would know what's going on.....

Rogers won't release it until next year.

I have to say that Rogers’ response to the matter is lame and lacks interest on current/loyal clients, what company would want to lose clients ? The LTE on the watch is a huge lost for Rogers customers, personally I have two personal lines and manage 28 Rogers’ lines at work , all on apple devices. If Rogers will not be supporting the watch, I will not hesitate switching over all my lines to the carriers that support the watch, other carries will cover the high cancelation fees imposed by rogers. Business wise, having LTE on the watch makes sense as our staff work providing different levels of care (healthcare setting) carrying a phone is not optimal in a healthcare setting, the watch enables mobility and flexibility. 

Garygouril
I plan to stick around

It's time to upgrade my iPhone as I do it every 3 years. Although my Apple Watch (original) still works great, I would love to upgrade to LTE in the next year or so, but if I upgrade my phone now I'll be stuck with Rogers for at least two years. Therefor, I am forced to switch to bell or telus. After 9 years with Rogers I don't switch lightly. Those who don't have an Apple Watch may think they wouldn't switch for "just" a watch, but now that I have had one for a few years, I know I will never be without one again. Is it really that hard for Rogers to offer it? Bell says it's because Rogers network is old and inferior.

If Rogers said it was coming soon I could easily wait but are they really going to stay 2 years behind the competition? I think they want to postpone the upgrade to save money because watch users are a small minority, but what other disadvantages does this old network have?

Roadgoddess
I've been here awhile
Whoever keeps replying that they doesn’t understand why someone would switch from Rogers doesn’t have Apple watch and obviously never used one. I’ve been with Rogers for probably 18 years now at this point and if they don’t support the watch I will change carriers as well. I’ve worked in the telecom industry and know the differences between the different carriers and the end of the day it’s about functionality. I want all my devices to work together and order for them to do that Rogers needs to support the Apple Watch. I use my Apple Watch extensively and as a woman having the ability to use the cellular component if I ever get into an emergency situation makes it invaluable. At the end of the day Rogers needs to get their act together or I am changing and as are my parents who arelong time Rogers customers and also Apple Watch users.

phopp
I've been here awhile
Very well said
My Rogers bill is over $200 : mntn with 3 lines they will be losing that if they don’t support the watch
Don’t understand how they can support an I pad with cellular and not the watch it’s probably just a click of a switch but I’m no expert and may be completely wrong
It’s also disturbing to me that this forum is reporting their equipment to be outdated maybe that is why they cannot support the watch

Angrymoose
I've been here awhile
Roger’s handling of the Apple Watch 3 with cellular launch is an embarrassment.

Companies should be racing to support new hardware to attract business (and maintain it). The fact that Rogers is not tells me that not only is their hardware outdated and doesn’t support it, but they don’t want to spend money on their infrastructure.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Angrymoose

I agree with that. This shows that Rogers isn't as top as we all thought they were. They say our money for our plans is helping the infrastructure yet its taking them until next year for this.

Angrymoose
I've been here awhile
Meowmix, I’m not even certain if they’ve confirmed that support is coming next year. As far as I know Rogers statement is just “we aren’t supporting the Apple Watch currently” with no confirmed plans to support it in the future.

It’s very aggravating to me as a consumer, as I’m planning to buy a Watch and would prefer the LTE model, but what would be the point if Rogers decides not to upgrade their support for it? My guess is that the Apple Watch is probably a ~5 year purchase, so I’m stuck with my choice. It would be nice if Rogers would give a concrete confirmation regarding upcoming support (or lack thereof).

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Angrymoose

This is a reply I got from a Rogers staff member and also from a internal manager as well.

" We will look at launching the cellular Apple watch next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standards."

So they are "looking" to launch it next year however there is little to no other information which is sad. Telus and Bell have already confirmed they will carry it and give service to it.

As much as i like Rogers, their new CEO and head managers have no clue what people want. Fido ( sister company of Rogers) confirmed they wouldn't carry the iPhone X. After posts on their forums and many complaining, they decided to carry it. Rogers only listens to their customers when we make a huge ruckess or the media starts sharing the news.

Roadgoddess
I've been here awhile
“Next year” that could be next December. Is the problem. I’m looking at Bell, better coverage out of main cities. Makes me sad, I have been with Rogers for 18 years.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Roadgoddess

Yeah unfortunately that's the only thing they said. It can be any time next year. Hopefully this changes and we get to enjoy it.

SeamusDDog
I've been here awhile

I have purchased an Apple Watch with LTE. It only cost me $90 more than the non-LTE watch, so I didn't think very hard about it (and it comes with more memory). Switching carriers would cost me - with the deal I've negotiated with Rogers - over $60 a month for the same service with Bell, since as a new customer, I wouldn't be privy to any retention benefits. Over a year, that's $720. Is having the watch with LTE that important to people? Adding the monthly fee, we're talking ~ $800/year.

I just don't see that much value in having standalone LTE; I'm annoyed that Rogers doesn't support it yet, but if they charge any more than $10/month for it, I'm even sure I'd activate it. 

Garygouril
I plan to stick around

And they didn't say it was coming "next year", only that they would "look at it" next year. So they might look at it and say no.