cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Apple watch support and plan

Jay_Starks
I plan to stick around

Any idea on when the new Lte Apple watch will be supported on the Rogers network? If it is supported what would be the price plan? 

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @trddddr

Rogers is looking into adding this into their line up but not at this moment. Switching carriers for a watch is beyond me.

I would suggest waiting a bit before making a jump.

This is their official statement.

" Rogers, however, has informed us that it will not carry the Watch Series 3 for the time being, nor will its sub-brand Fido. In a statement to MobileSyrup, a spokesperson said: “We expect a lot of excitement around the new iPhone models and that is what we are focusing on. Rogers and Fido are not currently carrying the Apple Watch. Carrying the Apple Watch will be something we look at as we expand of our device portfolio.”

View solution in original post

369 REPLIES 369

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Jay_Starks

At the moment Rogers has not announced if or when they will support the Apple watch LTE. Until then there isn't much information.

Stay tuned for more information when it comes down 🙂

chrisous1
I've been around

I've never been that satisfied with Rogers in the first place, but I guess because we have 5 phones, plus a celluar iPad, it seemed too daunting to make the change. But no support for Apple Watch 3? I'm throwing in the towel and switching to Bell or Telus, depending on the ease of switching.

Goodbye feckless Rogers!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @chrisous1

Rogers said at this moment they won't be carrying the device. They will look into their portfolio and bring this up to the device team to see when and if they can bring it to.

Goodluck with that. Switching to another carrier over a watch is beyond me. Rogers will get it in time. Patience is something some don't have i see.

trddddr
I've been around

Dear Rogers,

If you're keeping a list of people who will switch to Bell for the Apple Watch, please add my name. Thanks.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @trddddr

Rogers is looking into adding this into their line up but not at this moment. Switching carriers for a watch is beyond me.

I would suggest waiting a bit before making a jump.

This is their official statement.

" Rogers, however, has informed us that it will not carry the Watch Series 3 for the time being, nor will its sub-brand Fido. In a statement to MobileSyrup, a spokesperson said: “We expect a lot of excitement around the new iPhone models and that is what we are focusing on. Rogers and Fido are not currently carrying the Apple Watch. Carrying the Apple Watch will be something we look at as we expand of our device portfolio.”

JeromeM
I plan to stick around

If it's anything like the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier LTE we'll never see it supported 😞 Maybe with Apple there's a bigger chance, if Bell has it I would switch if I were you.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @JeromeM

I see what u are all saying BUT I wouldn't switch over a watch to be honest. Remember switching will make u lose ur discounts and start over again. Either way to each their own. Rogers most likely will add it later on. Also remember Bell and Telus are the only carriers in Canada to support this. Seems maybe they got a exclusive deal.

Rogers is focusing more on the iPhones atm.

Staveros
I plan to stick around

Exclusive deal? I'm going to go with no on that one to be honest. Apple wants this in everyone's hands and I can't see them limiting the carriers to a couple. I'm not sure why you downplay with;  " Also remember Bell and Telus are the only carriers in Canada to support this". There are only 3 major players in this game, so to isolate those 2 as if "hey, that's not too many....in the country" is beyond me.  My opinion is that Rogers had the chance to be a part of it and they chose not to. The quoted answer given by the Rogers rep is a very vague and political answer at best, there's no denying that. All of that said, I'm not saying its the wrong thing to do, but I would have expected Rogers to take the small risk of at least joining the market instead of feeling out.  Hopefully they get on board sooner rather than later, but who knows.  Bell's offer is quite appealing. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Staveros

In the end it's Rogers decision and Apple on if a carrier will have it or not. There are more smaller carriers which could offer it but do not want too or the deal is not what they want to offer. So in the end only Bell and and Telus are the only ones AT THE MOMENT to offer it. Unless things change. Remember a carrier doesn't need to offer it right away. They can take a couple weeks or months to do so.

In the end to each their own but to cancel your service over a watch is beyond me. I can understand if they failed to offer u the service u are paying for but for a watch? A watch can be added by Rogers in the near future and remember, switching won't make any difference as the service will be the same or less. Read reviews before making a decision.

Just me but find it weird that people would leave a carrier over another one that is offering a smartwatch and won't wait a month or so to see if Rogers will...

Goodluck with the carrier of ur choice ( bell or Telus),

Rogers has made a corporate decision not to support the Apple Watch 3 'at this time'.  This is too bad for me and other health and sports aficionados like me that have been waiting for the Apple Watch to become a stand-alone cellular device.  Of all the Apple announcements made yesterday it was Apple Watch 3 that got my attention and it's the one device where I'm going to upgrade.  Rogers decision must have anticipated a loss of customer base, and I for one will be checking out what Bell and Telus have to offer.  Sorry Rogers 'at this time' is not good enough.

Staveros
I plan to stick around

Thanks for fixing your contradictions, I couldn't make sense of what you were getting at. 😛 

I think people want the latest technology now. That's where people are trying to figure out why Rogers would wait. I agree with you. I wouldn't change carriers for a watch, but as the focus for cellular data delivery changes, people will change to, which means switching providers.  If Rogers doesn't offer service for the watch in time, you're going to have people who are frustrated that they waited.  

If someone is waiving candy in their left hand that you can see and they have a closed right hand where there MAY be candy, people are going to take the candy they know exists. That's simple logic. And so for some, switching to a provider that offers the watch will make complete sense. For that, it's tough for anyone to argue otherwise. If you're not locked into a plan, make the switch! You'll get new customer incentives from Bell and Telus, there's no doubt about that. As for services, they are all going to be very comparable. The real service that matters is customer service. From MY perspective, Rogers has excelled in this over the others. 

Truly, I just hope Rogers sees the demand to get on-board with this technology. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Staveros

Typing while on a bus isn't fun lol.

Yeah i agree with that but in the end I guess for them it was that decision they took.

Hopefully they change their views and add it to their portfolio.

Maybe they are also doing this to see the demand for it before adding it.

Carly6
I've been around

Annoyed that I'm locked into a plan for another year. I want to get the Apple Watch with the LTE attached.

Annoyed all around. I am going to look into getting one with Bell and price it out. A friend of mind looked and she could add the watch for $5 a month on her plan.

I would LOVE to see Rogers add it. They need to get with the times.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Carly6

That is true however you must have the same carrier in order to have the watch and phone working together as per Apple.

So all on all you would need to move ur line over and then get it.

I hope so too.

K33N3R
I've been around

I came here to also see if Rogers would get the Apple watch and I see that a lot of people are upset that they aren't (yet).  People want to jump ship, that's fine.. but am I the only one who remembers  a time when Rogers was the *only* carrier in all of Canada that offered the iPhone 3G ??   Point being.. 1.  Back then I think there was an exclusivity deal with Apple and Rogers, but that ended eventually.  2.  The other carriers didn't implode for not having an Apple product. 

Binap
I've been here awhile

I'm one of those that wants an LTE Apple Watch.  One problem Rogers may be considering is that there isn't much money to be made.  Rogers probably won't sell the watch.  And they likely can't add a lot to the subscription price to support the watch, so they may be taking a wait and see approach to gauge consumer demand.  If enough customers want it, and if Rogers can make enough money to cover costs, or if it prevents people from jumping carriers, they'll put it on.  That is all just speculation on my behalf.  From my perspective, it would be way cooler and fun if Rogers just supported it right away.  

Best,

Steve 

gustav
I plan to stick around

@K33N3R "am I the only one who remembers  a time when Rogers was the *only* carrier in all of Canada that offered the iPhone 3G ??   Point being.. 1.  Back then I think there was an exclusivity deal with Apple and Rogers, but that ended eventually"

You might remember that, but you forgot the only reason Rogers was the only carrier that offered the iPhone is because Rogers was the only one with a GSM network. It was about hardware compatibility, not exclusivity deals.

I don't think there are any exclusivity deals today either. I think Rogers underestimated demand. But they'll catch up and get it eventually.

And to those that say "why would you switch over a watch"? Well, a watch with LTE, means if my phone runs out of batteries, gets stolen, I forget it at home, I can still make and receive calls, messages, track my bike rides, pay for things at the store, etc. It's becoming as important as the phone itself.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gustav

I agree but again I disagree. To each their own I guess. It's not the same for everyone and everyone sees it differently.

In the end it was Rogers ultimate decision to do it. They most likely want to see the demand for it before adding it.

Poco
I've been around

Add my name to the list of those who will be switching to Bell to support the new Apple Watch.

Anahita6
I've been around
I love Rogers regardless some of it's short comings from time to time because of the value it gives to customers. But if it remains it's short coming not to support Apple Watch 3 LTE, that's not something to forgive!
How come Bell and Telus are ahead of you anticipating customer's needs!!!
Come on Rogers get sinched before Apple Watch LTE is out 😐