cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Family Setup

veilofsun
I'm here a lot

Hello everyone,

I didn't find anything related to Family Setup here so my question is: Can we expect Apple Family Setup feature for Apple Watch this year?

***Added Labels***

113 REPLIES 113

Re: Apple Family Setup

RogersCorey

Hello and welcome @veilofsun!

We don't have any information at this time to share. Please stay tuned to this space for announcements on upcoming features. 

We will certainly make an official announcement or blog post to announce the launch of a feature like Family Sharing before it arrives.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I hope this feature will come to Rogers soon enough as several friends have commented on putting their children or elderly relatives on an Apple Watch but do not want them to have the trouble of managing an iPhone with it. Family Setup is exactly what they need.

LePeR1898
I plan to stick around
Upgrading my wife's watch and passing her old one to our kid would be nice since she doesn't have an iPhone. Let's go rogers

LePeR1898
I plan to stick around
Any update on this?

Good evening Community!

Previously, the Family Setup for Apple Watch was not available in Canada. Family Setup in watchOS 7 lets family members who don't have their own iPhone enjoy the features and benefits of an Apple Watch. Some Apple Watch features depend on having a companion iPhone, and aren't available on an Apple Watch that you pair using Family Setup.

Check out the Set up an Apple Watch for a family member article or visit the Apple website for more information.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Hi Maude,

I am not quite clear on this. Are saying that Family Setup for Apple Watch is now available on Rogers?

Hello, @Audioforge

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

For further clarification, it seems like the Family Setup is built into the watchOS7. As per the article provided by @RogersMaude, you will just need to ensure you meet the requirements below to benefit from the Family Setup.

• An Apple Watch Series 4 or later with cellular,* or Apple Watch SE with cellular, with watchOS 7 or later.
  • An iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later for the initial watch setup.
  • An Apple ID for yourself and one for the family member who will use the Apple Watch. Your Apple ID needs to have two-factor authentication turned on.
  • A Family Sharing setup that includes the person who'll use the Apple Watch. You need to have the role of organizer or parent/guardian to set up an Apple Watch for a family member.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to use this handy new feature.

RogersTony

LePeR1898
I plan to stick around

My wife received the new watch 6 and i was able to family setup my daughter on her old watch 4 and it works using wifi but it won't let me setup cellular service to it using rogers. Gives me

"The rogers account on this iphone cannot be used to add cellular plan to "apple watch". visit https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular for more information about apple watch cellular plans."

Hello Community,

We have looked into this and inquired with our second level of support. It looks like the Apple Family Setup is not supported on the Rogers network.

We will keep the Community informed if this changes in the future.

RogersTony

Ningw
I've been here awhile
The question is when? From the beginning... come on Rogers support

Customer service thought it was and they tried to troubleshoot it for about two weeks and it wasn’t until I figured out their network didn’t support it that they gave up and refunded me the activation fee. Too bad at that point the week return period for Apple Watch passed. I only bought it for my daughter because I thought Family Set Up was possible. Now it’s just a very, very expensive watch for a 10 year old.

fkmobile
I've been here awhile

Hi

Any update on when the cellular will be supported for Family Setup?  I want to add 3 watch plans.

ianr68
I've been here awhile

Hi RogersTony!

Thanks for the info - I would like to buy an Apple watch for my elderly mother for the fall alert feature, but she has an android phone (Which means I must set it up for her using my iPhone.)  Family Setup appears to be just what I am looking for - can you provide any more info on when this might be added to the Rogers network?  I might just have to get her a Samsung watch that she can use with her Android phone instead.

Thanks,

Ian

ianr68
I've been here awhile

Did a bit of digging and came up with this list of carriers who support Family Setup... None in Canada so far.
https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/#table-family-setup

TyefisherA
I've been around
I talked to Apple yesterday who said that Rogers was set up to offer this service. 🤷‍♀️ It’s unfortunate both parties can’t get on the same page

Many other countries have this service approved. It almost looks like the big three in Canada haven’t discussed their monopoly stance on this yet and none of the big three wants to alienate their buddies.
I wish Rogers would take the lead and pull the switch to enable this already.

Hi RogersTony,

Any update on this...? We have a lot of parents at the school that LOVE this idea, a way to keep tabs on kids without them yet having a full phone.

Would be great for Rogers to lead this charge in Canada, as other countries already have it.

Ryan

Chris2586
I've been around
Nope. I tried and was told by apple Rogers don’t support it.

Terrible....would be such a great service for kids, etc.

ianr68
I've been here awhile

What is preventing Rogers from offering this?
https://www.apple.com/ca/watch/cellular/#table-family-setup