cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I go to get help with my Rogers/Yahoo email addresses

i75Dave
I plan to stick around

I have 7 rogers/yahoo email addresses but when I try and sign in to make changes, I am blocked with a "Secure Your Account" message which requires the phone number of a smart phone capable of receiving SMS messages.

I do not own such a phone.  How can I get around this message block so I can get to the email accounts I administer.

If this is not the correct place to post this question, please help me by directing me to correct Roger/Yahoo support address.

Dave

***Edited Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Where can I go to get help with my Rogers/Yahoo email addresses

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@i75Dave : This was discussed in the following recent thread.  I believe you're out of luck as are several of us.  I have no idea what Rogers plans to do about this situation...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/MFA-for-Rogers-Email/m-p/522930

P.S. One "solution" might be to provide the cell phone number of a friend or relative who can tell you the "codes" so that you can login.  I believe you'll have to do this for all of your accounts.  I have 5 accounts myself.  I have no idea how often the MFA would be required...

At this point I'm using Outlook on my computer or Mail on my iPad for some of my accounts that I use frequently.  I used to be able to login to Webmail using several "tries", but that doesn't seem to work any more.  I have yet to decide what to do about this situation when it comes to Webmail, which I access when I travel.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

I think it is ridiculous that this mfa be forced on a user like this. It is OUR choice to not use it. Like the previous post stated they do not have the capability to receive SMS. Their choice.

i75Dave
I plan to stick around

This is absolutely ridiculous.  I run a small business and all my Rogers email account have been in use since  Compuserve closed down many years ago.

Now I cannot get to my email traffic and customers are complaining.  We can no longer service them and I cannot even reach them to explain.

It's a nightmare and going to put us out of business!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@i75Dave : I have the following suggestions:  You may not like any of them, but I thought I'd provide them for you.

1. You can do as I suggested with the cell phone number of a friend or relative or other contact.  This would get you up and running again.

2. You can get an inexpensive smart phone for say $100-$200, or perhaps you have a friend or relative with a used phone they are no longer using for free.  Get an inexpensive Pre-paid plan starting at $15/mo.

3. Establish a new free e-mail address from say Gmail and import your e-mails from Rogers/Yahoo to Gmail and then use Gmail from now on.  Yahoo (not Rogers/Yahoo) is another option.  That way you're not tied to a service provider and this will not happen to you in the future even if you move or switch providers.  Another option is to purchase your own domain for a few $/mo and establish an e-mail account on it.

P.S. Rogers/Yahoo does not have an option for e-mail forwarding.

P.P.S. I'm not sure if Gmail will import without the MFA functionality working in Rogers....

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

There is opther ways of doing mfa, like call a phone number and the receiptent hears a 6 digit confirmation code to enter. This way it does not need to be a cell phone to receive an SMS.

i75Dave
I plan to stick around

Dear Biollw,

This sound like an acceptable solution but how do I set it up using my Rogers landline?  Whenever I attempt to check my incoming email at  the Yahoo/Rogers sign-in ( https://login.yahoo.com/?.lang=en-CA&src=homepage&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fca.rogers.yahoo.com%2F&pspid=2...), it requests a phone number where it can send me an sms conf number code.  If I enter my landline phone number, will it send the conf number code so I can hear it and respond?  Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@i75Dave wrote:...If I enter my landline phone number, will it send the conf number code so I can hear it and respond? 

This is something that Rogers would have to implement, but it is not something they currently have.  Based on past experience with Rogers/Yahoo e-mail (App PW Generator, etc), it is unlikely they will implement it.  When it comes to Rogers/Yahoo e-mail, Rogers is very user unfriendly and it appears they are not willing to spend any money on it.

As mentioned in the other thread I linked to in post 2, CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) has the option of calling your landline with a code, but it is not something that is ubiquitous, with quite a few organizations, like banks, now requiring the use of a smart phone for some/any transactions - even logging into your account. 

The only option for people without a smart phone, in these instances of "mandatory" cell phone MFA, is to call the organization, sometimes spending hours on the phone, often without a resolution. I doubt you'll be able to get Rogers to change and that's if you find the correct and knowledgable technician to talk to.  Theoretically, you could contact Rogers and they could provide the codes for your e-mail addresses, but good luck with that. 

Probably based on a cost/benefit analysis, organizations simply decline to deal with people without access to a smart phone.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

But with banks it is not FORCED upon you. RBC has a choice, You can verify with smart phone RBC app on a trusted device or none mfa at all., TD Canada trust has either text message or phone call to any number. or none mfa at all.

But these are on a different security level than low level rogers email.

My rogers email is a low secondary email address, so I really don't care. I have it on my notebook outlook only. Never send emails with it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

1.  You can verify with smart phone RBC app on a trusted device or none mfa at all.,

2. TD Canada trust has either text message or phone call to any number. or none mfa at all.

1. A trusted device is a form of MFA since it includes the device and the web. The web is used to "trust" the device and occasionally, that "trust" is lost and needs to be reinstalled.  Although it's not a smart phone text, it is a form of MFA.  Granted, it may not cost extra money, if you already have a tablet or phone, but it is forcing you to have a (typically recent) device that not all people may have.

2. I recently had a TD Canada Trust transaction that required the use of a text to a smart phone.  There were no options.  I discussed the matter with my investment advisor and she understood where I was coming from and even offered to pay the $0.75 that the text cost me, but that was not the point.  The point was that the only way to make the particular transaction (investment of some sort) required the use of a text to a smart phone, with no options.

I certainly agree that Rogers forcing e-mail (low security) users to have access to a smart phone, with no options is a step too far.

i75Dave
I plan to stick around

I'm going to have to bail out of this topic.

None of the suggestions have been acceptable.  I have seven *@rogers email account which I have not been able to access for several weeks without providing a phone number capable of receiving SMS messages ... and I don't have such a resource.

It's damaging my business.

I need a direct contact with Rogers email help (email or phone) so I can discuss and resolve this situation.

As a very long time Rogers client (over 25 years) with cable TV, home phone and fast Internet services, this level of service to resolve a problem is unforgivable.

If anybody has any solid suggestions to get Rogers Help involved (other than through Community Forums), it would be a GREAT help.

Frustrated - Dave

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@i75Dave wrote: I need a direct contact with Rogers email help (email or phone) so I can discuss and resolve this situation.

Normally I would suggest that you contact the forum mods by clicking on @CommunityHelps , however, per their post in the other thread (link below), I don't believe the mods can help, since it requires contact with technical support, as outlined in the following link where the usual phone number has been provided (1 888 764-3771).

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/MFA-for-Rogers-Email/m-p/523015/highlight/true#M78060

I have the following additional comments.

1. I find it difficult to believe you don't know anyone who has a smart phone that can help you by providing their phone number and the codes you require.  It would take a few minutes to get all your e-mail addresses working (one at a time).

2. Going though the usual phone number to get assistance and contact the appropriate person in technical support will likely take you hours, if you even get through to the appropriate technical people/person.

3. If you were lucky enough to get through to the appropriate technical person/people, based on past experience, I highly doubt they will change how the e-mail MFA functions, since Rogers is unlikely to spend any money on it.

4. I don't know if they would have a "workaround" for you specifically.

5. Rogers doesn't use e-mail to communicate on technical matters.

6. Yesterday I tried adding one of my Rogers e-mail addresses to "Mail" on my iPad, however, that required MFA to be "active".  I already have one of my other Rogers e-mail address that I use most of the time on the iPad from years ago.

Again, good luck.

P.S. Since I wanted to test and since I do have a smart phone on pre-paid, I decided to spend the money to get MFA for one of my e-mail addresses yesterday.  It worked properly and I can access that e-mail on Webmail like I could before they started forcing MFA on us.  When at home, I normally use Outlook on my computer to get my e-mails.

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
Best I can tell, there is NOWHERE you can go to get the kind of help you need with this specific problem with Yahoo’s Rogers email. There might be other issues that Rogers might be able to help you out re your @rogers.com email. The lesson here is to never bundle all your services with the same provider and to always contact your M.P. when the government is considering future megamergers thus reducing competition.

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

Occasionally, I come across suggestions to reach out to the moderators by clicking @CommunityHelps  However, the content on that platform [https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1446984] hasn't been updated since July 2023 and is solely in French, which seems outdated and limited

I'm confused about the purpose of this approach. Is Rogers attempting to emulate Public Mobile by providing basic personalized support through forums? Moreover, I'm curious about what information the moderators have access to regarding us and our accounts, and how they manage privacy concerns.

There are numerous questions, yet few answers available. So much for being easily transparent. No doubt the info I am seeking is buried somewhere and very non-intuitive and difficult to find, assuming it exists. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hmm : The purpose of clicking on @CommunityHelps is that it has a link to send a message to them near the top right of the screen when you are logged in. I have developed the following instructions to assist you in contacting them. The rest of the information on that page (if it's in French) is immaterial:

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps  .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

When logged into the forum, check the envelope icon at the top right of the screen for messages.  You would usually also receive an e-mail that you have a PM, but it may have ended up in your spam folder...

The mods have access to all sorts of information about your account once you provide them with your confidential information. The mods have access to technical people who can assist with most any issue.  Your account information is kept private due to the mechanism of communication via a secure connection.

However, with regard to this specific issue, as discussed in the following link, the mods are unable to assist since they've already checked.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/MFA-for-Rogers-Email/m-p/523015/highlight/true#M78060

This was also discussed in my post earlier in this thread which summarizes the issue - link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Where-can-I-go-to-get-help-with-my-Rogers-Yahoo-email...

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation