cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skip feature

s-g
I've been here awhile

The skip feature using page up and down is only available in 30 second and five minute intervals. With the previous digital TV remote the skip feature was three minute intervals a much better interval time to skip commercials. can Rogers provide an additional three minute interval for the skip feature?

***Added Labels***

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Skip feature

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Using the page up/down keys to skip can be 30 seconds or 5 minutes.  

To program 30-second skip:

1. Press the Exit button 3 times.
  2. Enter 0-0-3-0. The feature is now enabled.
  3. To use the feature, press the Page Up button to skip forward by 30 seconds, or press the Page Down button to skip backwards by 30 seconds.

To program 5-minute skip:

1. Press the Exit button 3 times.
  2. Enter 0-5-0-0. The feature is now enabled.
  3. To use the feature, press the Page Up button to skip forwards by 5 minutes, or press the Page Down button to skip backwards by 5 minutes.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

Just curious if anybody ever tried to use the 60-second slip code that worked for the older Xfinity DVR boxes (for recordings, but Not for Live TV)?

You still need to press the EXIT button 3 times, but then 0060 (with NO hyphens in between the numbers). If that doesn't work, also press the Rogers button after the 0060. If still fails, try using hyphens in between the numbers (and maybe even the Rogers button at very end).

Not sure why a 5-minute skip option would ever be better than a 60-second, or 3-minute option, but at least you can use the voice command to skip any time period you want.

EDIT: Perhaps there are no hyphens on the remote, and you were just spacing the numbers with hyphens, so easier to read.

Sincerely,
Time Cop

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

No I beleive the only two options are 0030 and 0500, all others aren't accepted.

Yes  voice " fast forward 3 minutes" Then I fine tune it using the page up button at 30 seconds. Sometimes you get to know the show and its commercial length. Like one I always use fast forward 4 minutes and it passes the commercials perfectly.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mebe wrote:

Just curious if anybody ever tried to use the 60-second slip code that worked for the older Xfinity DVR boxes (for recordings, but Not for Live TV)?

I was not aware of any such option.

You still need to press the EXIT button 3 times, but then 0060 (with NO hyphens in between the numbers). If that doesn't work, also press the Rogers button after the 0060. If still fails, try using hyphens in between the numbers (and maybe even the Rogers button at very end).

EDIT: Perhaps there are no hyphens on the remote, and you were just spacing the numbers with hyphens, so easier to read.

The hyphens are just there for readability, and everybody has their own favourite way of writing out those special multi-button sequences.

Also, FYI, you cannot specify an arbitrary time value for the skip function.  The are specific magic codes that the set-top recognizes.

Not sure why a 5-minute skip option would ever be better than a 60-second, or 3-minute option, but at least you can use the voice command to skip any time period you want.

Comcast never said why they made that choice.  Presumably, it was a compromise that would allow them to offer a skip function and also appease broadcasters by making commercial skips inconvenient.  As far as I know, Comcast does not make any mention of a 30-second skip option in any of their support documentation.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@s-g wrote:

The skip feature using page up and down is only available in 30 second and five minute intervals. With the previous digital TV remote the skip feature was three minute intervals a much better interval time to skip commercials. can Rogers provide an additional three minute interval for the skip feature?

As I said in my previous post, Comcast only mentions the default skip intervals in their Voice Remote Overview help guide.  I suppose Rogers could submit a request for a 3-minute skip option but the chances of Comcast ever implementing it are slim to none.

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor
Given the way that you change this option it is asinine that you can only select from two options. You should be able to set any skip times. For example ExitX3 0-0-1-5 should give you a fifteen second skip and exitx3 0-7-0-0 should give you a seven minute skip. Only having two options would make sense if you had to choose from a finite number of options on a list, but given this key number sequence of exit-exit-exit-M-M-S-S you should be able set the skip to any time from 99:59 to 00:01.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree that it would be nice, but commercials can vary between programming or even segments of the same programme, so setting for a certain number may not apply to other programming or segments.  30 seconds is therefore a good compromise. If you want a different skip time simply say "Skip ahead X seconds, or Y minutes, or Z hours into the voice command.

Unless I know the particular commercial pattern, I usually use FF (2). This way I may see something I'm interested in.  If I need to skip ahead a large portion of time (more than say 3 minutes), I always use the voice command.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:
Given the way that you change this option it is asinine that you can only select from two options. You should be able to set any skip times. For example ExitX3 0-0-1-5 should give you a fifteen second skip and exitx3 0-7-0-0 should give you a seven minute skip.

It's not quite that simple.  The Ignite set-top boxes respond to a number of different magic button sequences, many of which are initiated by pressing Exit three times, or by pressing and holding Exit or the Menu button for several seconds; the numbers that follow (or other button sequences) are tied to specific actions.  It just so happens that one of those sequences changes the skip-forward interval to 30 seconds and another restores the default.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 in conversation