cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite service slow connections, high ping and lost packets

897nat
I've been here awhile

I have the Rogers Ignite 1,5 Gb down 50 mb up service. Same complaint as many with service crawling during the evening hours until after midnight. Modem is an XB7 that is hooked into a ASUS RT-AX86U which is also linked to another RT-AX86U in a WiFi mesh with a wired backhaul. I turned off the Trend Micro Ai Protection, Adaptive QOS and the Traffic Analyzer on both Asus units and have the latest firmware from Asus installed. 

The modem is running in bridged mode, I understand that since the RT-AX86U ports are at best 1Gb ports I can realistically only see 800'ish wired connection speeds however to see such large lags and speeds dropping to 1 to 2 Mb/s uploads with large lags and download speeds also falling into the 150 Mb/s range is odd.

This has been happening over the last few months and is frustrating when Netflix quits saying the connection is a problem and gaming becomes unplayable or the connection drops out entirely.

Ran a buffer bloat test last evening in the middle of a slowdown and upload showed around a 300+ ms lag average, download was in the 45 ms lag range. I also hooked my laptop into the modem directly and ran the buffer bloat test again and the results were largely the same.

I logged into the modem and the Downstream Channel bonding chart shows SNR at 41.7 to 42.5 Db across all indices which from reading seems to be acceptable. The Power Level ranges from 5.6 to 7.6 dBmV with the majority being in the mid 6 to low 7's across all indices. From looking at other posts the Power Level values should be hovering near 0 ideally.

Upstream channel bonding shows power levels in the 34 to 39.5 dBmV with majority at 39.5dBmV 

CM Error Codewords at the time I checked showed Uncorrectable Codewords at 0 for all indices except for index 2 at 731, index 24 at 10708 and index 33 at 14685. 

Any advice would be appreciated on stabilizing the situation.

The cable into the home is old easily over a decade so I suspect that the cable to the house is an issue and needs to be replaced as testing connected directly to the modem showed the connection was very slow at the time.

I am in Brampton in the west end of the GTA.

**Labels Added**

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ignite service slow connections, high ping and lost packets

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@897nat wrote:

I have the Rogers Ignite 1,5 Gb down 50 mb up service. Same complaint as many with service crawling during the evening hours until after midnight.

If your service performs fine at off-peak hours but slows in the evening, your node is probably at capacity.  There may not be anything that you can do other than report the problem to Rogers and hope that they already have plans to upgrade infrastructure in your neighbourhood.

Any advice would be appreciated on stabilizing the situation.

I would (temporarily) remove all third-party network gear and run in a Rogers-supported configuration with your XB7 in "gateway mode".   That will simplify troubleshooting; the Rogers Ignite gateway was designed to support a multi-gigabit service.  You will also get 100% support from Rogers.  As long as you have your own gear installed, Rogers will try to blame any performance issues on your equipment.

Perform speed tests with a computer Ethernet-connected directly to the Ignite Gateway.  If you have a computer with a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet adapter, connect it to LAN Port 4 (which is also a 2.5 GigE port) on the Gateway.  With the 1.5 Gig service, you should see download speeds approaching 1.9 Gbps.

The cable into the home is old easily over a decade so I suspect that the cable to the house is an issue and needs to be replaced as testing connected directly to the modem showed the connection was very slow at the time.

I am in Brampton in the west end of the GTA.

The coax cabling from the pedestal to the NID at the side of my house is more than 20 years old and the coax cable going into my home is almost that old, and it has tested clean.  A tech can certainly test whether there are any issues with yours.  You need to ensure that you don't have any problems with noise ingress in your home.  The tech can also check the power levels and install attenuators to bring high power levels back to within norms.

If you are seeing a large number of uncorrectable errors, that results in packet loss... but packet loss can also be caused by an overloaded node.

I would send a private message to @CommunityHelps  and ask them to check your connection and to check for any issues that could be affecting your neighbours as well.  Do this during a time while you are experiencing poor performance with your service.  If they discover any issues during their testing, they can also dispatch a field tech to investigate further.

Best of luck getting this resolved!

897nat
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the advice. My laptop does have a 2.5 Gb ethernet adapter, i will pm @CommunityHelps the next time this occurs.

RogersCorey

Good afternoon @897nat!

Have you attempted yet to remove all third party networking equipment, taking the modem out of bridge mode and running your tests again?

We just want to ensure that there is no issue with your personal equipment and this test will tell us whether or not it is.

Please let us know the results as soon as you reasonably can. 🙂 Thank you!

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation