cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting charged for a “free” tablet

Dukeskywalker
I've been here awhile

I’ve been getting charged for a “free” tablet I received from Rogers when I signed my last 2yr old contract. For the 1st 2 years there were no charges, then after 2 years they added a $10 monthly charge for tablet financing. What amazes me is they can send me a monthly text to remind me to pay my $300/mnth bill but cannot text/email or phone me to say “by the way we’re going to start ripping you off for $10 per month until you realize it.” This “free” tablet ended up costing me $100. The customer service rep even admitted he doesn’t look at his bills. Well, jokes on me I guess. They re not budging on giving me my money back or crediting me. I’ve been a Rogers customer for many years and that is going to change. Never, ever accept any “free” products from Rogers, it’s just a greasy scam to take your money. Not to mention that the $150 tablet is a piece of junk and didn’t work from day 1.

***Added Labels***

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Getting charged for a “free” tablet

RogersJo

Greetings @Dukeskywalker!

Congrats on your first post with us! 👌 We most definitely appreciate your loyalty and tenure with us. As a consumer myself, I can completely understand how you're feeling while receiving an unexpected bill amount. 

I know firsthand how imperative it is to ensure you receive the service and product you are promised. It sounds like you received a promotion for a free tablet for 24 months and after the monthly service fee promotion expired, you proceeded to get charged for the $10 monthly service fee. We do send out notifications directly on your bill, 3 months prior to your promotional offer expiring to ensure we give you a heads up on what to expect thereafter. 

With that said, going forward, in the event that you receive any equipment that is not functioning, or if you do notice a change in your monthly billing amount, definitely get in touch with us as soon as possible so we can review your bill with you to see what may have changed, and we'd be more than happy to have a gander for you. 

Regards,

RogersJo

Dukeskywalker
I've been here awhile
So do I get my money back that I was charged for the financing fee for a “free” tablet? This is obviously a greasy money grab. So disgusted in Rogers. Especially in these times where the cost of living has gone through the roof. It would be pretty easy for Rogers to make this right, if they wanted to.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i do not think they finance beyond the 2 years, you are probsably paying a monthly service fee for some kind of line / sim card for this tablet, if u dont want to pay it simply call them and cancel the line and stop paying for it. can't get any easier than this.  

Dukeskywalker
I've been here awhile
Yeah, thanks Tips. I don’t care if it’s called a “service fee” or a “finance fee” the point is they’re charging me for something I was told was free. 2 years later I start getting charged for it. And it’s stated on the bill as a financing fee. It’s greasy any way you look at it.

sounds like service was free for 2 years, after you cancel or you start paying simple as that, like all the subscription services did you expect anything different? shouldn't give bad reviews due to your own fault. all these corporations are out to rip the consumer off so do your due diligence,

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nothing is truly ever free in this world, there is always a catch.

If people keep signing up for things like "free" this,  "free" that, free anything, you will always have fine print attached to it, and believe me, companies never give anything for free, they will always make up the money some how weather its monthly fees or lock you in to a term, etc.

My advice, if u want a nice tablet, go out to the store and buy it outright, you wont have any strings attached to it. if you want a mobile plan for your tablet to be able to use it anywhere, go sign up for a BYOD mobile tablet only plan month to month, so u can cancel it at any time, no contract or term or financing.

Once you learn how to do this, you will have less problems in life with mobile carriers.

olmsc
I've been around

Have this same issue. can i just call to cancel? do i need to return the tablet? I already gave it to my nephew lol.

Hello @olmsc,

Welcome to the Community!

If you're looking to cancel the tablet line please call in or live chat with our Loyalty team to get further assistance. Any applicable fee or charges would vary based on the plan you're on.

I hope this helps.

RogersZia

Poo9
I've been around

I'm dealing with this nonsense right now. I tried cancelling the sim cards associated with the tablet many times and was told it didn't need to be done/couldn't be done. I argued many times and tried returning the tablets the first month. Now that I'm leaving, I owed nearly $50 for a cheap tablet that was "free" if I transferred to Rogers. Nothing about 24 months financing 

Dukeskywalker
I've been here awhile

I didn’t ask for a free tablet nor was I looking for one. It was offered to me for free. I was ensured there were no additional charges but it turns out there were charges that I had to look for on page 12 of my 18 page bill. Thanks for your valuable advice. 

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 7 in conversation