cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged a 60$ Set Up Fee After Being Told it Would be Waived

Shay05
I've been around

So I looked at my bill and noticed I was charged 60$ for a “one time set up fee” when I was told that it would be fully waived by the agent who had to put through my order because the online self serve portal wasn’t working every time I had attempted to order the new phone and apply for the new plan. The agent said there was a note on my account for the fee to be waived. What was even more confusing is that I have a 20$ financing credit for the plan I chose and yet I am being charged 36$ a month for the phone which also doesn’t make sense. Why are agents telling me it will be waived when I had applied for my new phone and phone plan when I set up the device myself I didn't go into a store to do it, and I used the self serve portal online originally to apply for the phone. The customer service agent on the phone only assisted me because the online portal wasnt working for the few weeks I had tried to apply for the new plan. It feels like I was scammed into something that promised to be significantly cheaper than my previous phone plan. I truly feel like I shouldn't be charged a set up fee when I never went into rogers to set up my phone whatsoever. If I knew that this would happen I would have gone to a cheaper phone company. Did this happen to anyone else?

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Charged a 60$ Set Up Fee After Being Told it Would be Waived

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I hear you, and that is a totally different problem.

Instead of asking "Charged a 60$ set up fee after being told it would be waived"  the concerned customers should instead ask:

"Missing a promised credit to waive the installation/setup fee, going to complain to the manager and have the agent coached and disciplined and ask to get my credit again"

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Charged a 60$ set up Fee after being told it was waived because I signed up online and set the device up myself

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
If you were told it would be waited and the person that did the order did things properly. It should be noted in the order details for Customer Care to find and then remove the fee. Give Customer Care a call.

andreakevinwed
I've been here awhile

I was also charged a $60 setup fee after being told it would be waived.  On hold with Rogers for hours trying to get it removed.  They offered $30 off.  Not right.

Also I signed up for home security and am being charged over $500 in setup fees when on the website the setup fees say $99 for set up and $59 for a smart home lock installation fee. Just look at what they advertise on their website. Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 2.42.34 PM.png

Greetings @andreakevinwed!

The only way to avoid the service setup fee is to activate via our self serve options on Rogers.com or MyRogers.

Were you informed that this fee would be waived over the phones or in a store?

As for Home Security, there are some one-time extra fees that can add onto the cost of install depending upon your needs and the equipment being installed.

We'd be happy to go over your bill with you to ensure that you're not being charged any unnecessary fees.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

ACJ
I've been around
Unfortunately the same thing happened to me. The app wasn't working for days at the end of the purchasing process so I called and they said to go in store and note the file. Unfortunately the agent didn't make a note so I couldn't get the fee waived but there is a record I called in. Too bad since I've been with Roger's for probably 20 years, I'm not trying to scam the system.

Good Day @ACJ, 👋

A Warm welcome to the community! We appreciate your loyalty and tenure with us as 20 years is quite some time. I'm saddened to hear what occured as this is most certainly not the type of experience we want you to be having. Has the issue since been resolved?

If not, we'd be more than happy to go over the interaction you had to see if there is anything we can possibly do. Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.

Cheers, 

RogersJo 

Adebaba1
I plan to stick around

Tell me about it. Rogers seems to creep up on you with this sort of thing and you get responses like 'I do not have the power to grant such concessions; it is the policy etc'. The support person I got on the matter was so cold and indifferent.

DanRudmin
I've been around
Had the same experience. Rogers offered a promotion to move a line over. The agent told me that as part of the promotion the $60 fee would be waived and there it is on the first bill. It’s a scummy practice and doesn’t make a good impression.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello everyone. My mother had a similar experience, She had a recent install and was promised the installation fee waived,  so when she got her invoice, there was an installation fee, so did my mom get mad? nope, she called and inquired, and the rep told her the order automatically generates the install fee and it can not be removed from the first invoice, however they advised her to check the next months invoice and what the rep did was apply a "credit" in the same amount as the installation fee, however it was not able to appear on the first invoice but was showing on the next months invoice.  My mom waited one month and voila, the credit equaling to the amount of the installation fee was there on the second invoice.

So to let everyone know, even though the rep says the fee will be "waived"  they often can not remove the actual fee from your order as the system puts it there and they can not modify that fee,  however they CAN offer a credit and apply it, and sometimes that credit will appear on the first invoice, or sometimes on the second invoice, it depends on how the bills are generated by the system, so if you want, i would recommend you clarify with the agent, and confirm that is the fee going away, or will there be a credit on the account to waive the fee?  you as a customer need to ask this, this will avoid multiple callbacks and unnecessary posts about this

ACI1
I've been here awhile

So essentially it's a scam? Roger's representatives are scamming people in the shop when they're selling those products? Telling people that the setup fee will be waived. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How is it a scam? My mom was offered the credit and she received it.

The problem is people are impatient. It takes some time but people in Canada are always in a hurry.

ACI1
I've been here awhile

alright. we can stop thinking about this as a scam, although the results are not what you are expecting, until you do some actions. Even though you've been told that no actions are needed. And if you're not doing any actions nobody will give back your money. I don't know. It sounds like you were intentionally misled. if you don't like the word "scam". it's ok think I if we say that at least. at bare minimum Roger's representatives are misleading, right? Quite unprofessional to say the least.

But. Thanks for sharing the experience.  worth a try to talk to Rogers 

shashi5654
I've been around

I had the same issue. The agent never told that there will be activation charges. I recently moved from US to Canada and was not aware of such charges. I called for internet connection and the agent whom i spoke he clearly told since the building setup require tech person installation, they will wave off the installation charges for internet. Later after couple of days, i called to get a phone line for my wife and they just told since i'm a customer i get the line for $50. Never mentioned about activation charges. later after couple of week i called them again to activate one another line for myself. Then also no one mentioned about the activation charges. I i know there will be charges for the activation calling an agent, then why would i call for my line. Now, after getting the bill i was blown away. i got $400+ for 2 phone + internet connection. When i called the agent says they cant do anything for the activation charges. Looks like its a scam now. What will they do to the agent who did not disclose the charges to the customers or its overall Rogers strategy to cheat the customers by over charging. 

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Unfortunately, this is a very common practice with Canadian service providers. If Rogers doesn't waive them. File a complaint with the BBB and CCTS. It might take a whole to get a resolution, if one can be reached, but more complaints put pressure on these monopolistic companies to do slightly better.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

people need to understand, waiving the installation/setup fee means YOUR STILL CHARGED THE FEE, but the agent puts in a request to add a CREDIT of the same amount, which means you get the money back.

sometimes you have to wait 2 or 3 billing cycles to get the money back, this is not new, this is how the phone billing systems operate

also why do people think the setup or installation fee is going to disappear? that is not how credits work, a fee is still charged, but it is credited,  so most of the complaints are because people do not understand how billing systems work, so please be aware of how it works so you understand for next time

ACI1
I've been here awhile

I'm sorry but it's not true. Most of the complaints are that Rogers' employees lie to Rogers' clients. In a very particular way. Even from this thread, we can clearly say that Rogers' employees are setting very concrete expectations, and those expectations do not meet the reality.
This is not about how the billing system works, by the way as a client I'm not supposed to know how it works. The company provides some services, the company employees are expected to be aware of how the service will be provided and how it will be charged and are expected to notify the client about that. Not misleading the client.
If they don't know how the service will be provided or how it will be paid, reimbursed, or whatever then they have to be trained, if, of course, it should be their circle of competence. Period.
I don't understand this passing the buck to the clients.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you actually read the complants? most people say "I was promised the fee WAIVED but when I got my bill there was the $60 fee"  If they only knew how the fee waived means you still get charged the FEE, but you get REFUNDED the fee on a later bill,  please read the comments, this is not rocket scientist.

ACI1
I've been here awhile

The problem is that a refund never comes. Not after a couple of billing cycles not after four, ten, never. Unless you do actions, unless you call and ask about the credit directly. This is not what Rogers' employees are telling people in stores.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I hear you, and that is a totally different problem.

Instead of asking "Charged a 60$ set up fee after being told it would be waived"  the concerned customers should instead ask:

"Missing a promised credit to waive the installation/setup fee, going to complain to the manager and have the agent coached and disciplined and ask to get my credit again"

fionafafa
I've been around

finally i found this forum! i had the same issue, the rep mentioned to me the set up fee cannot be waived, then she adviced me to call the rogers customer service line, the line rep said she is going to make a note on my account to waive the fee but still i got charged the $60. I called multiple time to follow up and complain but no result, the rep who deal with my complain simply reiterating that "the set up fee cannot be waived" over and over again. I keep trying because this is a " promise made by Rogers that is not honored", still not resolved so far. I'll keep trying and see if there is any hope. I cannot understand such a big provider as Rogers is being so sneaky and refuse to honor own words. 

Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 12 in conversation