cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently Changed to 1.5GBPS and Speed Is Same or Slower

ZACCC93
I've been around

I'm in the south end of barrie and have had "1gbps" service since moving there in 2019 up until a few weeks ago. A new speed was available in my area, 1.5gpbs. Great! made the changes with rogers and confirmed my XB7 is still compatible with this new service. I have noticed no difference in speed over wifi or any of my devices on ethernet running CAT7 to all. Rogers says there is no issues at all and "everything looks good on our end". well I'm declaring shenanigan's on rogers. its been over 3 years of terrible service and rogers not standing up to their satisfaction guarantee. Is anyone else experiencing slower than advertised speeds and getting a constant run around?

*Added Labels*

92 REPLIES 92

Re: Recently Changed to 1.5GBPS and Speed Is Same or Slower

@mdesrochers2  Pods establish a Wi-Fi connection to the gateway, Wi-Fi clients connect to the Pod, and the Pod relays traffic.  If you place a Pod in a location that has poor Wi-Fi connectivity, then that limits its connection speed to the gateway and you will get lousy performance, to the point that you might be better off not even having Pods.  (Picture multiple Wi-Fi clients connecting to a Pod, sharing a slow uplink to the gateway vs each having their own slow connection... although both of those scenarios should be avoided.)

A Gen 1 Pod has only two radios: one on the 2.4 GHz band and one on the 5 GHz band.  Clients connect to the same 5 GHz radio as the one used for the uplink so with the Pod relaying traffic on the same link, the available bandwidth gets cut in half... and since only one device can transmit on the channel at a time, you also lose efficiency.  If the Pod has a poor connection to the gateway, performance REALLY suffers.

The Gen 2 Pod adds an additional radio for its uplink, which is MUCH more efficient.  However, its performance is still constrained by where you place the Pod.  You need to place it in a location where it still has a good connection to the gateway and where Wi-Fi clients will still have a good connection to the Pod.  Do that and you should get respectable Wi-Fi performance.

As for your 200 Mb/s speed test on Port 2, I can't explain it.  It was probably just a quirk of when you ran the speed test, not anything provisioning-related.

If you have a fast-enough computer and a good Gigabit Ethernet card with good device drivers, you should be able to attain 940 Mb/s of throughput on any of the XB7's LAN ports.  (You get Gigabit speeds on the link but there is protocol overhead, so only roughly 940 Mb/s of bandwidth is available for transferring data.)

D4RK0
I've been around

You WILL NEVER be able to achieve 1.5GBPS in one transfer - Or on one PC/Console....the modem only allows 1gbps to pass through the ETHERNET ports...meaning to offer a 1.5GBPS service you would have to have a modem that supports 1.5GBPS there's does not... Now multiple devices downloading like PC/PHONE/LAPTOP/CONSOLE it WILL use a full 1.5GBPS because its passing through multiple GBIT ports on the modem. So when something sais over GBIT only possible if the device allows it, most don't!  Over here near wasaga beach in the small town of elmvale... GBIT single speedtest I can get over 900MBIT and upload which is 50MBIT, I get maxed out! Your nodes must be floored with customers using! Nodes are shared! DSL Is dedicated, no share!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@D4RK0 wrote:

You WILL NEVER be able to achieve 1.5GBPS in one transfer - Or on one PC/Console....the modem only allows 1gbps to pass through the ETHERNET ports...meaning to offer a 1.5GBPS service you would have to have a modem that supports 1.5GBPS there's does not... 

Actually, the XB7 and XB8 gateways have a 2.5 Gbps port (port 4 - with the orange/red line next to it), so you can get 1.5 Gbps on a single device on a single port.  I regularly get 1.4 Gbps with my XB7 and Mac Mini M2 (10Gbps Ethernet Option) and I don't even subscribe to 1.5 Gbps service (probably due to Rogers Speedboost which often provides much more bandwidth than you pay for, which is why I never pay for the top tier).

Hello all Rogers customers.

I also switch to the 1.5G ignite plan as well. I had to get a upgraded "WHITE Modem". But even with the new modem, Rogers does not inform their customers that the modem has only ONE 1.5G port. The modem comes with 4 Ethernet ports at the back. The other 3 are regular 1G ports. The 1.5G port is the bottom right port. However, as mentioned above, your PC setup will have to be capable to handle the higher speed. Having a CAT6E Ethernet cable or higher will help. A PC with 2.5G Ethernet port is a prerequisite. 

One other note, please be aware that the high speed port may experience drop Internet due to over heat issues on the circuitry that handle the 1.5G port.

DandyToronto
I've been around
So I’m going through this similar issue. I feel like I’m getting the run around and am seriously about to switch over to Bell. Ever since I upgraded to 1.5 Gbps whenever I do a speed test it’s showing way lower than advertised. I’ve had 3 Rogers tech’s at my house since I’ve so called upgraded about 2 months ago and every time they have changed my modem and they keep telling me it’s fine and I have the fastest internet on the market. Seems that it will only read on a speed test that it is higher mbps only when it is hardwired and yet I’ve never seen it reach 1.5Gbps . I even started noticing my Xbox start lagging when playing Warzone which was never the case before. It’s 2023 , you think that they would have figured this stuff out already. Like what am I paying for? and how do you prove that this is what I’m paying for Rogers? If these problems persist I’m out and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Woody33
I plan to stick around

Hard to comment on your issue without really understanding your home network configuration.  The 1.5G Rogers service does work.  You will likely never get the full 1.5G rate, given protocol overheads, etc.  The max I get is 1.4G.  In order to achieve this, you need an ethernet connection between the specially marked port on the Rogers modem, and either your own router, or another device on the network that supports >1G.  That router or device MUST have a 2.5G ethernet port (or better), otherwise you will always be throttled to 1G max.  Additionally, you will never get anywhere close to those download speeds over wifi.  For example, my Wifi6 phone, when 2m from my Wifi6 Asus router, registers with a 1.2G connection, but in reality, the true download speed will never approach that.

My Rogers modem is in bridge mode, with its high speed ethernet port connected to my ASUS RT-AX86U router's 2.5G interface.  I consistently get 1.4G download speeds, measured at the router (ASUS Merlin has a built in speedtest).  Everywhere else in the house I always get ~900Mbps.  Most devices only have 1G ports, max, and most TV's still have only 100Mb (ridiculous).  Most newer PC's/laptops should have a 2.5G interface, but then again, if there is any kind of network interface between your device and the source (like a router/switch), you will be throttled to 1G max. 

Apologies if you knew this info already, but you need to adjust your expectations based on your home connectivity, wired or wireless.

Woody33
I plan to stick around

FOLLOWUP:  Apparently the latest ASUS Merlin release has fixed the Wireguard issue.  H/W acceleration now remains active when the Wireguard server is active.  Gotta love ASUS Merlin f/w!

I switched about a month ago. Speed test was over 400 one time. One morning around 5:30 my speed was less than 1 mbps. Another time it was around 4. It is so inconsistent. Sometimes I can hardly use my laptop.
They had a tech here to set up the TVs. I said to go ahead and have the remote control the sound bar. He overruled me and said, "No, I'll put it the way it was." I could have sworn I was the paying customer. 

Darkride
I've been here awhile
Dealing with the exact same issue right now. I had 500mb before and upgraded to 1.5gb. Prior, I was getting 500+ on my Samsung mobile. After the change, I get 188mbs - 239mbs.. but upload went from 40ish to 50s. Tech support came by today and said there is nothing wrong with my service.. that I cannot achieve those speeds on a mobile device and that it will only show on ethernet. I said that I am using the same device to test as I did prior to change and that the speed is slower than before while I am paying for something that should be 3 times faster! Basically all I got out of that tech person was that android is inferior and if I had apple, it would be faster. Ugh. I remember this happened to me years ago when I upgraded to the 500mb. It took a few phone calls for the data to come to proper speed. Why does it have to be such a battle? Wish I never made any changes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Darkride : Please check out the following similar thread where several posts discuss why you may not get the 1.5 Gbps, how to get 1.5 Gbps (or more), and the fact that WiFi speeds vary but typically max our at around 600 Mbps.   The speed at the modem/gateway cannot typically be gauged by using WiFi.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588#M75402

Was there a hardware (modem/gateway) change when you went from 500 to 1.5?

Do you have a computer capable of more than 1 Gbps that you can hard wire (Ethernet) for a test?

Why would you upgrade to 1.5 if you're just using a mobile device which can't get that high?

See the following link regarding WiFi speed and speed testing.

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/speedtest

Darkride
I've been here awhile
I went from the Hitron Coda modem to the xb7. I put it in bridge mode and have a TP-Link Deco M9 plus plugged into orange port. I am currently getting 800mbps in the router speed test, and ~235mbps on my cell's speed test. I'm not expecting my phone to get to 1.5 or anything like that, but was expecting more than these results.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not familiar with the TP-Link Deco M9, however, it appears to max out at 867 Mbps (specs on various websites per single device?).  I'm not an expert at mesh or routers, so I could be misreading it.  My comments/suggestions follow:

1. Put the XB7 back into regular (non-bridged) mode to do any proper testing.

2. What does the phone provide then when nearby the XB7? (I get about 300 down on my iPhone 2020SE).

3. Do you have a computer with Ethernet that you can plug into the XB7.  If that computer only has 1 Gbps capability, the most you'll get is probably 940 Mbps.

4. I get 1.4 Gbps down on my Mac Mini M2 E10 connected via Ethernet to my XB7.  I'm only on the 500U plan.

danno100
I plan to stick around

That's because it's going over coax!! They tried to get me to switch from 1G to 1.5G package, with less channels also. I have 1G and best I have ever got was 850 MBPS. You need fibre to the home!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@danno100 wrote:

That's because it's going over coax!! ....You need fibre to the home!!!

This is totally incorrect.  Lots of people on coax obtain speeds over 1.5 Gbps - many at 1.8 or 1.9, if they have the appropriate computer equipment.  See link below:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588#M75402

I get 1.4 Gbps on my Mac Mini M2 E10 and I subscribe to 500U on coax.  I prefer to have the several hundred dollars per year in my pocket, rather than switching to something I don't need.  People are far to eager to have the latest and greatest when it's not necessary for the vast majority of people.

Darkride
I've been here awhile
I tested it before I put it in Bridge because I thought the new modem was better. The connection was not as strong (less bars on second floor) and speed was inconsistent, but it was similar to the mesh. Looking at screenshots, I averaged 464.2mbps/51.8mpbs, and got as low as 80.2mbps/6.6mbps.

Within router, my levels with Hitron (500u plan) were 692mbps/22mbps. Now I get 813mbps/55.4mbps.

Plugged in my son's laptop (1Gbps), turned off his Wi-Fi. His download was 464.7mbps, and upload was 52.8mbps. Tech guy who came in today said he could see the modem was pulling the full amount but he didn't show me how he could see that.

I was using my Samsung Note 20 Ultra to do the tests, it supports Wi-Fi 6. My router does not, but I don't want to upgrade if I'm not going to notice any difference.

The only reason I changed my plan was because they offered a promotion that was slightly cheaper than what I was paying before. There are 5 heavy internet users in my household and thought, why not?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Darkride  Here are the specs for your Deco M9: https://www.tp-link.com/ca/home-networking/deco/deco-m9-plus/#specifications

It supports Wi-Fi 5, and lists the following maximum speed: 5 GHz: 867 Mbps (802.11ac)

HOWEVER, you can only expect to attain 75% of that, so the highest results that you can possibly attain on a speed test is around 650 Mbps.  Expect to see less in real-world conditions.

Your router also only has a Gigabit Ethernet connection for WAN connectivity.  Due to protocol overhead, the most that you can possibly attain over that link is 930 - 940 Mbps.

As for your router's internal speed test, its CPU may not be powerful enough to perform the test accurately.  For example, I tested a VERY fast ASUS router, with a 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet WAN port.  It could forward traffic at 2.5 Gbps, and I could obtain speed test results approaching 1.9 Gbps with a fast computer, but the router's internal speed test tool maxed out at 1.3 Gbps.

You might also see better network performance with your Ignite Gateway in "gateway" mode (Bridge Mode disabled), its internal Wi-Fi disabled, and using your Deco M9 mesh for Wi-Fi connectivity in AP Mode.

Darkride
I've been here awhile
Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. Some things for me to think about..
I'm not sure I want to put my M9 in AP mode as that would disable all the parental controls I have set up. I'm thinking about upgrading to the XE75 pro in the near future.

danno100
I plan to stick around

they tried to get me to switch to 1.5 GBS..I have 1 G and never been able to gwet over 850MBS. Most network cards and routers don't go above 1 GBPS unless you buy an add in card.

SQUARE7
I plan to stick around

I have a 2.5GB network card.  I have been getting 1.9GB for 6 months, until last week my modem went down, which I assumed was a update.  Since then my speed tops out at 1GB and yesterday was at 250MB!  Has to be a network issue on Rogers end.

RogersJo
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Greetings @SQUARE7!

Thanks for contributing to the conversation and I'm sorry to hear about the speed issues you're experiencing. 😥

We've got a plethora of super knowledgeable Resident Experts @-G- ,@57@Pauly that may be able to provide a solution or offer some suggestions with regards to this matter.

Cheers!

RogersJo

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Does Rogers have a way of running the Speed Test right from the modem / gateway? I know Bell can do this, if so it will eliminate any throughput issues from your network card, and should get you the most accurate speed measurement of  your incoming signal.  If not, I am certain the technical support people at Rogers should have a way of conducting a speed test from your gateway.  This is the best way to do a speed test for the home consumer modems. Rogers should seriously consider getting this software installed in their gateways.  I think Okola makes it, which is the maker of the defacto speedtest site everyone knows.

Topic Stats