cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service - international travel

Kaydei
I've been here awhile

I am currently in Antigua and decided to use my roam like home for a day. I turned off airplane mode while still at home with wifi, got the traditional text stating I will be charged for 15 dollar and was ok until.. I left home. Nothing worked for me, no internet, no phone and NO GPS. Is there a reason why this happened? I’ve checked every single area in the cellular park in the general area and nothing seemed off other then my service provider which led to a local one and my service provider was not listened. Any ideas on how to get my phone working properly while I’m out?

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: No service - international travel

Kaydei
I've been here awhile
Sorry everyone, just noticed I am in android when need to be in iPhone!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kaydei
I've been here awhile
Sorry everyone, just noticed I am in android when need to be in iPhone!

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Do you have roaming turned on in your iPhone's settings? You might need to reach out to Customer Care to make sure international roaming is enabled on your account.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kaydei : 1. This doesn't make any sense since the type of phone (Android or iPhone) should not matter, other than perhaps one phone may be able to pick up a weaker signal than another.

2. When you look at the top of the screen on the phone does it show a service provider for Antigua?

3. In the phone's settings there should be a setting for which Network to use.  This should be set to "auto" so that the phone will access any service provider that has a signal.  If the phone is set to "Rogers", then the phone will not pick up Rogers and therefore not work as soon as you are out of range of a Rogers cell tower.

4. If you use Google Maps and download the offline map to your phone before you leave (or when connected to the Internet at your travel location), you can use the GPS in that country, just like home, only with slightly fewer locations like restaurants, etc.  Obviously it will not provide any real time traffic information without data, however, you can see the traffic information when connected to WiFi and you can use the phone anywhere, anytime if you download the offline map for that area.  I do this all the time when I travel and I check Google Maps for traffic or other information like road closures, restaurants and walking times before I leave my hotel (or other) room while still connected to WiFi.

5. Most parts of the world have access to WiFi somewhere like a hotel or coffee shop, etc.  So you should be able to use WiFi for the internet. Some hotels will charge a small fee for this service and provide a password for their router.  I can almost always find free WiFi when travelling, while being wary of getting hacked or information stolen, but I suppose that will depend on where you are.

6. You should also check all the other applicable settings in your phone to ensure it will function as you want where you are.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation