cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Feed Breaking Up

billoncb
I've been here awhile

Stittsville, ON.  Why is the TV feed breaking up every few seconds.  All channels un-watchable.

***Edited Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

Re: TV Feed Breaking Up

RogersJermaine

Hi @billoncb,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your first post!

Disruptions to the TV service are never fun and I do hope that everything is working correctly since you last posted. If you are still noticing an interruption with the services, if you can please let us know below.

You can also check out rogers.com/outage to get a quick update on any network issues being reported, as well as our Rogers Service Interruptions board, where we post any major service interruptions.

Thank you
RogersJermaine

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

Sounds to me that you're having the exact same issue that as been plaguing me for days now (I'm in Nepean).   The image will freeze/pixilate/go dark.   

When I called Rogers, I was told that my Digital Box was reaching the end of its life, and I can't replace it because they're phasing out Digital Boxes (apparently the plan is to have everyone on Ignite by the end of the year).

Finally, after three days of this torture, I said "screw it" and disconnected my Digital Box (only the fact that it's rented prevented me from throwing the damned thing against the nearest wall). 

Luckily, the shows I currently watch  air on Canadian networks, so I can still watch them by going to the website of the network my show is on (say Global) and watch them there when they're uploaded to the site the following day.

In fact, I'm considering dropping cable and just keeping Internet and phone.  I mean that would  knock more than $100 off my monthly bill, for one thing.   And why keep paying for channels I never watch.

As for my TV, I will use it when I watch my DVD's.

billoncb
I've been here awhile

Thanks Jermaine, not easy to find these links among all the web pages that often just drive you in circles.  But easy once you know.  Sadly one ends in a chatbot which are typically not that useful.

Tim, I have the Ignite box, so likely a different issue.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

All of the Rogers Legacy services are getting killed by Dec. or January, unless other factors come up.

So if you have Rogers legacy Internet (also was called Ignite), the funeral for it will begin in December.

There's nothing wrong with paying for channels that you don't watch, as long as your deal includes all of the channels you do watch, for a lower price than you could get them after adding them separately to the $25 starter pack (like I do now with my digital tv legacy PVR). If you don't always need the sports channels, or other expensive channels, then the starter pack might be fine for you ... Even with Ignite TV (with or without the Internet -- but  unless you get a deal, you'll have to add another $20 for the tv box and modem which cost $10/month each).

Since your digital box is rented, Rogers will ask you to mail it to them when you cancel, or if you wait until legacy is eventually killed.

Your digital box might be fine, but unless other people in your area call to complain about the bad picture, the staff will often try to get you to switch to Ignite TV.

You should try to see if your On Demand works (ch. 100). If it does, you can watch Global content and even FF through the commercials (except the beginning part before the show actually begins). With Ignite TV On Demand, you have to watch the commercials (if you use the tv box), but you can FF through them if you watch CTV and City TV, etc.

Rogers won't bother sending a tech to your home (they are no longer obligated to make house/booty calls for Legacy problems), since they will often just blame your box, but if you tell Tech support that you want to be sure that you won't have the same lousy reception with Ignite TV, like you have now, they'll most likely say that Ignite TV will be better ... But just ask them to test a few things out, perhaps like sending your box a signal and also rebooting it from their end.

If they won't help, or nothing seems to improve your picture quality, you could check around for some free digital boxes online.

I don't know if you use a Rogers PVR box to record your content, but if you don't, Ignite TV uses cloud recording that lets you record your content, instead of trying to get it from On Demand.

Or you could just stick with getting your content from the various broadcaster websites, or by also subscribing to services like Stack Tv, etc.

Lots to choose from, but combining a variety of options, usually gives the best results.

I'm lucky that I have plenty of free over-the-air channels to choose from that keep me informed and entertained.

⚠️Digital boxes should never be punched, kicked, or thrown against the wall. It's also not wise to try to drown a digital box in the bathtub, since they may decide to electrocute you.

TimMcCree
I plan to stick around

@mebe wrote:

Digital boxes should never be punched, kicked, or thrown against the wall. It's also not wise to try to drown a digital box in the bathtub, since they may decide to electrocute you.

Don't worry, I ave no intention of doing any of that.  I know the Digital Box is not mine.  For now, it's just going to sit there, until i decide what to do (as I am now watching my shows online).   Guess I will eventually go over to Ignite, looks like I have no choice in the matter.

I'm in my late 50's now, and thus am a child of the analogue TV and rotary phone era.  And, God help me, I find myself longing more and more for those bygone days, when you didn't have to be a bloody Science Major to understand all this stuff.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation