Nextbox clicking

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joshrachlis
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox clicking

I’m having the same problem. I’m sleeping in my parents‘ basement and my dad’s PVR is constantly humming. Like the hard drive is spinning all night. It’s driving me insane. It’s been going on for months. It finally occurred to me to Google the problem. And I see everyone is having this problem. There’s got to be a solution. I’m afraid to just unplug it because I don’t wanna ruin my dad’s recording settings.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As discussed in many of these threads, it's perfectly normal for a PVR to make a soft whooshing sound (fan).  The unit may also sometimes make a bit more noise when it's recording or downloading the IPG (soft thudding).  You either need to get used to it or put the unit in a "hush box" or similar enclosure/space where you cannot hear it. Some people are more bothered by it than others.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-4k-PVR-G10/m-p/460483#M52154

If it's a loud clicking sound, that may be the signs of a failing hard drive

SPLB
I've Been Here Awhile

ok I have a question re the "soft thudding". I've had my Nextbox for 4 years, and in the last week it's started making the "soft thudding" noise constantly (and louder than it used to). I unplugged it for four hours this morning to let it cool down fully, wondering if it was a fan issue, but when I plugged it in it immediately started again before the box had even booted. So my question is: Is there something wrong with the box, like is it going to fail at some point soon? Or is it just the noise? Because if it's just noise I can learn to ignore it, but if it's a sign that something's wrong with the box I'll want to replace it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The soft thudding that I hear is usually when the PVR is recording.  Remember it records any channel you're watching in order to pause live TV.  If it's not set to record anything at the current time and if it has finished rebooting for a while, change it to channel 950. At that point the iHDD should be quiet since nothing is being recorded or watched. 

It should also be quiet (except for the soft whooshing of the fan) when it's turned off and not recording.

SPLB
I've Been Here Awhile

Nope, still making the noise even when it's turned off and not recording! The only time it stops is when I unplug it. I'm guessing that means I need to talk to support and maybe replace it (sigh). I guess 4 years is a good run... my last cable box only lasted 1.5. Thanks for your help!