Nextbox clicking

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox clicking

A clicking would indicate that the HDD is failing.

You would either have to take it to a 3rd party place which does do the repair.

Or attempt the repair on your own.
(Think this thread here has info on the 9865 NB3 as well)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/122489-internal-hdd-replacement...

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Here is a good question. If a PVR hard drive shows signs of imminent failure, would it be possible to clone it to another compatible drive and have it work in the PVR, retaining all the recordings?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I cloned the iHDD on my 8300HD, but not on my 9865.  I assume it would work, but no guarantees since the firmware is totally different.  Someone would need to do it and I haven't heard of many iHDD failures on the 9865s.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/15719-sa8000-8300hd-internal-ha...

The second time I had an iHDD failure on my 8300HD, I let the iHDD "click" for too long and the cloning didn't work because the index was too corrupt, so you need to catch it early.  Most people simply don't bother - either they wait too long or, after all this is supposed to be a time-shifting, not archiving device.  😉

bborowi
I've Been Here Awhile

I've swapped out my nextbox 4k twice because the first one was clicking. Got the replacement and it does the same thing. Very annoying. I sometimes sleep in this room and it's so loud. Could this be normal as this happened with both boxes or should I swap it out for a third time?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The PVRs are not totally silent (I assume you're talking about a 4K PVR). They have a fan and a hard drive. I would recommend a "hush box" or something similar (behind glass so you can still control it?) for light sleepers and bedroom applications.  I would not call the hard drive noise on these clicking, unless the drive is starting to fail.  I would describe it more like a soft thudding, but the units are not going to be silent, especially when recording and more-so if recording more than 1 programme at a time - working harder.  

I assume you have the unit turned off at night?  Perhaps there is more sound when it's recording?

bborowi
I've Been Here Awhile

This unit and the one before it that I had exchanged both made this noise all the time. Some times are more extreme than others and makes this noise even when nothing is recording. Is it coincidence that both these boxes are damaged or is it what it's supposed to do because it is rather annoying.
It is not a whooshing sound on both the units. Even now its 3am with nothing recording and making all kinds of noise (at times it sounds like a machine gun and the other unit I had did the exact same thing) I guess I will try to replace it again for a 3rd time.
Wish me luck!
OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

At 3:00 a.m. it's vert likely updating.

Also, if the signal strength at the location is not very good, which the Nextboxes require,  It could be attempting to update quite often until it succeeds.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bborowi wrote:
This unit and the one before it that I had exchanged both made this noise all the time. Some times are more extreme than others and makes this noise even when nothing is recording. 

These PVRs are recording all the time, if they are on a channel, and if they are "on", hence the noise.  That's how you can rewind the channel you're watching until the time you changed the channel, or the to the start of the programme.  Try changing the channel to 950 (which has nothing on it on the 4KPVR) and make sure it's not recording anything else.  Then see if you still get the noise.

As stated by @OLDYELLR sometimes, even when not recording, the boxes are updating the IPG or firmware because they are never "off", even when "off" they are really in "standby" and sometimes "doing stuff".

bborowi
I've Been Here Awhile

Ok thanks. I will try changing 950 and see what happens. The tech on the phone did say the connection was poor (not really sure why as it is a direct cable from the wall) so that may have something to do with it. I may need to boost the signal some how.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A poor signal can have something to do with the cabling in your home, or the signal could be poor coming to your home. Rogers should be able to see your signal and that of your neighbours.  See the following post on the topic of signal issues:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

I suggest you do not attempt to boost the signal yourself, especially if you have Rogers Internet and/or Rogers Home Phone, as the proper signal needs to get to each individual service.  Rogers will correct this, usually for free.  It is not usually as easy as simply dropping in a cable amp.