cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect Samsung series 6 TV to internet with Nextbox 9865

adm7007
I plan to stick around

I have Rogers cable internet and TV with a Nextbox 9865.

I connected a cat6 network cable from the Nextbox to TV and it won't connect to the internet.

I chose wired connection.

There's one green and one amber light on the Nextbox ethernet port when the cable is connected.

The Samsung TV e-manual says to use a cat7 network cable which sounds like overkill.

Could it be the cat6 cable or something else?

My desktop pc is connected to the internet with a modem in another room.

Shouldn't the Nextbox 9865 provide internet access to the TV if I have Rogers internet service?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't connect Samsung series 6 TV to internet with Nextbox 9865

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adm7007 wrote: Shouldn't the Nextbox 9865 provide internet access to the TV if I have Rogers internet service?

No. That port on the 9865 is inactive. You need to connect the TV either via WiFi or Ethernet to a modem or router directly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adm7007 wrote: Shouldn't the Nextbox 9865 provide internet access to the TV if I have Rogers internet service?

No. That port on the 9865 is inactive. You need to connect the TV either via WiFi or Ethernet to a modem or router directly.

adm7007
I plan to stick around

Thanks,I had no idea the ethernet port is inactive.

I thought if theres an ethernet port there should be a built in modem or whatever inside the Nextbox 9865 for the internet to work.

Why provide an ethernet port that doesn't work?I don't have another modem/router to connect the TV to the internet at this time.

Just because a manufacturer builds a box with an ethernet port, that doesn't mean that an ISP has to use it.  That's the ISP's choice. 

Fwiw, since you're probably running a Hitron modem, presumably with its wifi running, you can connect a Samsung Series 6 TV to the internet via wifi.  The performance you end up with depend on the wifi channel selected and the signal level at the tv location:

https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/tv-audio-video/tv-connect-to-the-internet/

Note the wording in the wifi section of that page:  Note: 2018 models NU7100/NU710D, NU7200, and NU7300/NU730D only support 2.4 Ghz networks. They will not detect 5 Ghz networks. This will cause your Wi-Fi network to not appear on the list.

So, you'll be limited in terms of bandwidth if you have one of those models.  That might not show any effects, depending on what your watching, HD or possibly higher, depending on what the tv is capable of running.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adm7007 wrote:  1. Why provide an ethernet port that doesn't work? 2. I don't have another modem/router to connect the TV to the internet at this time.

1. There are lots of devices that have ports that are not "active". For example, a lot of the STBs have a USB port, however, the only thing you can use it for is to charge a small device via USB.  It's the firmware in the device that makes various ports do various things and there is no real use for an Ethernet Output on a STB.  Perhaps it can be used for diagnosis via a tech, or perhaps the USB can be used. Nevertheless it's not active for the application you want.

2. As mentioned by @Datalink above, you can use the WiFi in your TV to connect to the modem/router, or you can use an Ethernet cable if you can "snake" it to your modem/router. If the modem/router is out of Ethernet ports, you can purchase an inexpensive Ethernet switch to provide more connections.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Under the older TV system, the Internet signal was decoded by your modem, and the Digital TV signal was decoded by the TV Set top boxes such as Nextbox 9865.  The Nextbox only communicates with the TV service so it has no idea if you have internet, or what type of Package/Speed Tier you have therefor, those ports are inactive in Canada.  Maybe things were different in the USA and some providers there had provisioning for those ports, however here in Canada, Rogers older TV network did NOT utilize the Ethernet port on the Nextbox 9865.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My parents have a Samsung series 6 TV, you would need to plug the tv into a nearby Ethernet port, if one is available, or connect it to the Wi-Fi network being broadcast from your modem.

My parents TV is plugged into the nearest Ethernet port in the wall behind it. I actually put that ethernet plug there myself, not Rogers.  I ran all the wiring and hooked it up to the modem when I was younger and that has paid off big time.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation