cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Activity and Seeking Assistance

asadhameedkhan
I've been around
I am seeking guidance on a troubling incident of fraud that unfolded recently, involving an unauthorized alteration to my wireless plan with Rogers and the receipt of an iPhone 15 Pro Max under false pretenses.

Initial Contact (Early Dec 2023):
In the early days of December 2023, I received a call from the number 778 909 4287 on my work phone. The caller, who identified himself as Sam Austin, claimed that I was eligible for a more cost-effective wireless plan. Initially, the offer included a $45 plan with an iPhone 15 Pro Max, which I declined, expressing my preference for a Samsung S23. After negotiation, the offer was revised to a $35 plan, inclusive of the Samsung S23. To confirm the arrangement, I provided my email address for documentation and my date of birth for verification. I asked for an order confirmation on my email address for my records and I was assured that it would be send.

Erroneous Order Confirmation (Dec 04, 2023):
However, the situation took a wrong turn when I received an order confirmation email from "orderconfirmation@rogers.com" and "donotreply@rci.rogers.com". I was also sent a new agreement via email "donotreplytec@rci.rogers.com". To my dismay, the confirmation detailed a $70 plan with a separate charge for the iPhone 15 Pro Max. 

Follow-Up and Correction Request (Next Morning Dec 05, 2023):
The following morning, I received another call from the same number (778 909 4287). Bringing the incorrect order to their attention, I was informed of a back-office error. The person agreed to cancel the order and place a new one as per our agreement previously for a Samsung S23. I received an order cancellation email from "support@rogersmobiles.ca" and another order confirmation email from the same address depicting an order of Samsung S23. Later that day, I received another email from "donotreply@rci.rogers.com" confirming shipment of iPhone 15 Pro Max. Attempting to rectify the error, I contacted Rogers customer support, only to be redirected to the sales department. Unfortunately, my call was dropped due to the after-hours nature of the inquiry.

Receipt and Return of iPhone (Dec 6, 2023):
On December 6, 2023, I received a call again from the same number. Upon describing my frustration, the person apologized for the error made and stated that the iPhone 15 Pro Max had already been shipped, and the only course of action was to return the device for correction. Despite my concerns, the caller assured me that a shipping label would be provided promptly. A brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max was delivered. Following the instructions received over email through "support@rogersmobiles.ca", I promptly shipped the phone back using the provided label at the UPS store nearby. I received a call from the same number to confirm the shipment return around 6 pm the same day. I asked for another email correcting the order and an order confirmation email for my records.

Failed Confirmation and Suspected Scam:
The whole following day went by and I did not receive any confirmation email. I called the same number and the person told me that they are working on it and I would receive a confirmation email soon as soon as they receive the erroneous shipment. However, despite the assurances, no confirmation email for the corrected order was received as promised. Concerned and attempting to seek clarification, I called the same number yesterday on Dec 12 2023, but to my dismay, the number was no longer assigned. This raises serious suspicions about the legitimacy of the entire transaction.

Current Situation and Seeking Assistance:
As of now, the plan and iPhone appear to be assigned under my name in my Rogers app. This situation not only poses financial implications but also raises fears of potential misuse of the obtained phone for unauthorized activities. Local authorities, when approached, directed me to report the incident to Rogers. I have left several messages and left a complaint on Anti Fraud Canada website too.

I do not know what are my options over here, would I have to pay for the phone or is there any fraud insurance at Rogers or any mechanism to deal with this. I have all the supporting documents (emails and shipment receipt) to aid in investigation. I do not know what to do now, do I pay the bill as I do not want my credit history to be affected. How long this takes, what are the next steps. What should I do? 

**Labels Added**

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Fraudulent Activity and Seeking Assistance

TwitchyPuppy
I plan to stick around
Yikes, I hope you manage to get that resolved quickly!

One question though: "After negotiation, the offer was revised to a $35 plan, inclusive of the Samsung S23" and you didn't think it was too good to be true?

Ambika1
I've been here awhile

Hello

My husband got a call from Rogers Guy regarding some promotion as he moved to other company a month ago.  My husband liked the Promotion as they say its included I phone pro max with $100 Bill with data plan. We received the phone on Dec 20, but phone was wrong as it was I phone 15 Instead of I phone 15 pro max.  Guy called us back that its company mistake they parcel the wrong phone and they will accommodated to this mistake and they ae going to give us ear pods as compensation. We thought its a genuine company and we returned the Phone as they gave us returned shipping Label by email. Then we next day again guy called us told us that you need to go shop to pick your parcel. My husband went and received and when he came back and opened parcel its was again wrong phone. This time some manager called us name Raphel Lucas and gave me his extension and told us that something wrong going on he will solve this issue personally. we believe him my husband again returned the phone got from shop to the ups as they again provide shipping label by email. Now we are waiting for our parcel and its seems like it all was fraud because their phone numbers are not valid anymore and i am so concern as my husband pick phone from shop and returned by UPS  and he also gave them his SIN number. 

I have no idea where to go I just accidentally read this article and thought may be if i write my concern may be i get some idea what to do and where to go now. Can anyone provide us any idea or may be any info which can give us any relief.

Thankyou

Ambika

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ambika1 :  Here are my comments:

1. Here's a link to similar tales of woe:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Scammed-and-probably-sent-two-...

2. You say your husband went "to the shop". What does that mean?  I assume it's not a Rogers store?  I assume perhaps it's some other location like a courier location?

3. You say you've given out your SIN.  You should never do this unless required by law. See the following link on who can have your SIN.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/protection.html

4. Contact the fraud department:

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre has a lot of information on known scams. Review their website to protect yourself from potential fraud.

5. See the following link on various scams:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud/tkb-p/ScamFraudNotifications@tkb

Greetings @Ambika1!

I am sorry to hear that you have fallen prey to this scam.

This is becoming a well known scam where a cold caller offers a too good to be true deal, the scammer then orders the wrong phone deliberately, then when the customer receives the wrong phone, the scammer calls them back offering it make it right, coaching the customer through the return which seems to go directly to the scammers house.

If you look at the return label in these scams, you'll see it's not addressed to Rogers but, in my observations, to a random individual's house if you Google Maps the return label address.

It's this last step that's the key part of the scam where a customer can thwart the scammer. Customers should always contact us directly via the contact methods found at www.rogers.com/contact to arrange for a return of their devices. Do not trust anyone that calls you directly to arrange for a return who somehow has foreknowledge that the wrong device was ordered.

We can escalate a fraud case for you to investigate this matter further. If you still have access to a copy of the return label, that will be most helpful to our fraud team.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

Ambika1
I've been here awhile
Thank you
Yes it was Roger’s shop . My husband doesn’t speak English so guy who was Roger’s employee speak same language as my husband so he talk to store people and my husband show his id and get the phone but that was wrong and it’s already shipped back.

Did this happen at an official Rogers store or a reseller? 

Please PM us so that we can ensure this is properly escalated for further investigation. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

fMarz
I've been around

I was contacted Jan 22 by the same team of scammers. The first person was very polite, described as calling from Rogers Promotions dept. $50 plan including iPhone 15 Pro Max, unlimited calling and texting, 55GB data, US roaming included plus 2,000 international calling minutes. Sent up to lady named Anna Peters for confirmation of my order. Said she would email me the confirmation then I would be contacted by a Rogers rep to finalize and verify my order for completion. Sam Austin called me to confirm. I checked email and there was an order with the wrong phone model - email was from "orderconfirmation@rogers.com" . He apologized and created a cancellation. I received the cancellation email from "rogersmobiles.ca". The email address seemed strange, so I decided to investigate and came upon this forum! Thanks! I immediately called 778-909-4287 to cancel my order. Had to leave VM, but Sam called me back, seemingly surprised. He was very pleasant, trying to reassure me the legitimacy of the whole thing. I replied CANCEL ORDER to all the emails I received - they all bounced back. So please beware of this scam everyone out there!

BigKat
I've been around

Received call from 18887219037 with phone offer and email sale@rogerdispatch.ca .
Had several communications and agreed on a plan. 2 days later I get rogers on line billing and a phone to my door which was not what I had ordered.
Rogers customer service agrees that I did speak to one of there reps but are still treating this as fraud.. What a mess and how is it that they are accessing , creating a new rogers mobile account and shipping a high end phone to me …
Inside job? Now I’m stuck without a phone or mobile plan while rogers try to fiqure this out .. 🙄

Hello, @BigKat.

We appreciate you joining our Community and raising awareness of such scams. While phone numbers and email addresses can be easily spoofed, the domain "roger dispatch" is a clear red flag in this instance. It's great that you have reported this fraudulent activity, and the Fraud Management team is investigating it. We are hopeful for a prompt resolution and sincerely thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

RogersMoin

xuebinli
I've been here awhile

Just now I received a call from 416-382-0968 claiming from Rogers marketing and offering 40% discount to me. They asked my account number. I hesitated to provide but later provided. They then asked my email address and emailed me the offer. The email is from sale@rogersdispatch.ca which is suspicious. They then asked for my home address to finalize the discount but I refused. The guy provided his name Henry David, his call back number 1-888-975-4208 and his reference number for this call HD269420. He was trying to convince me to provide home address. I googled the callback number but found nothing. I googled the email domain and found this page. I told him to not touch my account and I do not want the discount.

=================================================

Quotation Letter.

Hello,

This email is a Quotation Letter from ROGERS!

Monthly Charges   Sim plan only

Rate plan: 50GB Internet data 5G shareable , Canada & USA  unlimited calls, voice mails, text messages. 1000 international free calling minutes. 

Total Monthly Charges  : 14.33 /-  (incl.taxes)

You can expect the final wireless bill from Rogers on the regular billing date, after the service disconnection date indicated above. Plus, access to MyRogers will be available for up to 24 months from the service disconnection date.
Support
You can quickly and easily monitor usage, check your account balance or make changes by logging into MyRogers at rogers.com/myrogers or by downloading the MyRogers app.

Thank you for choosing Rogers.

@xuebinli log into your account immediately and change your password.  Change the PIN number as well.

While you're in there, confirm your personal information.  Look for any changes in address or contact phone number or email.  

If there are offers on any of your services, they should be visible in the service page. 

I'd also contact the Fraud Dept and report this to prevent any fraudulent activity on the account. 

To do that, contact the moderators.  

@CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum.  When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps page.  On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message.  Follow that link to the message composition page. The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details, including your account number and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner.  That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox.  From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required.  There will be an authentication procedure that you will have to complete in order to service any change requests for your account.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @CommunityHelps, hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message.  Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically.  Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

xuebinli
I've been here awhile

Thank you @Datalink . I changed my password. I had a look and it seems my information is not changed. Thank you so much for sharing the steps. 

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 in conversation