cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers providing an a Wifi 5 / XB6 Wifi Router instead of the Wifi 6 / XB7 that I should have received

AFSallam
I've been here awhile

I was moved over from Fido to Rogers recently, and I subscribed in the ignite 150 package which includes Wifi 6 / XB7 router.

Rogers sent me a Wifi 5 / XB 6 router, and none of them even had the curtsy to inform me about the change / breach in their service contract. When I discovered the issue, I communicated it to their customer service, and it was such an awful experience.

The customer service lady asked why would I need a Wifi 6 / XB7and what I'm using the internet for? lol! Then she said Rogers won't swap the router anyway.

The funniest part was when I reject her approach, and asked to escalate my issue to a supervisor, she said, " I don't have a manager or a supervisor to report for. The best I could do is making someone call you within 48 hrs."

What an absolute joke! One one hand Rogers is equipment / service Rogers provided is inferior to what I signed up / paying for. One the other hand, their customer service is absolutely unprofessional / rude.

If you guys shopping around for internet, save yourselves the headache and go elsewhere. There is nothing but dishonesty and disrespect here. 

***Added Labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Rogers providing an a Wifi 5 / XB6 Wifi Router instead of the Wifi 6 / XB7 that I should have received

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AFSallam From time to time, Rogers inventory of modems runs low and when that happens, they may be forced to install an earlier generation of Gateway than they would have preferred.  Technically, the XB6 supports speed tiers of up to 1 Gbps, and it is more than capable of supporting the 150 Mbps service.

As far as I know, there is also no way for Rogers support teams to ship a specific make/model/revision of any Ignite hardware.  If your Ignite Gateway needs to be replaced, they can order you a replacement gateway... but there is no telling what hardware you will receive, only that it will meet the minimum requirements to support your speed tier.

Re: Rogers providing an a Wifi 5 / XB6 Wifi Router instead of the Wifi 6 / XB7 that I should have received

imeem
I plan to stick around

yup they lie. even on https://www.rogers.com/internet/packages, it says wifi6 or wifi 6e. not 5. For all fido to rogers migration, they said they only give XB6 as apart of the process. but told me I can call afterwards to get it replace. I did, but the rogers agent gave an excuse and said Fido to Rogers Ignite 500 customer only get XB5 "due to provisioning issue". But at the same time, told me he can give me XB7/XB8 if i go 1.5 gigabit. Why would a "provisioning" issue only apply to a Fido to Ignite 500 customer, but no one else?  

At the same time, I know if I was a regular Ignite 500 customer instead of a migration customer, they would have given me a XB7. 

imeem
I plan to stick around

@-G- wrote:

@AFSallam From time to time, Rogers inventory of modems runs low and when that happens, they may be forced to install an earlier generation of Gateway than they would have preferred.  Technically, the XB6 supports speed tiers of up to 1 Gbps, and it is more than capable of supporting the 150 Mbps service.

As far as I know, there is also no way for Rogers support teams to ship a specific make/model/revision of any Ignite hardware.  If your Ignite Gateway needs to be replaced, they can order you a replacement gateway... but there is no telling what hardware you will receive, only that it will meet the minimum requirements to support your speed tier.

That's not what i been told. it's basically a business strategy to segment customers, without actually saying its a business strategy. I got the chatlog to prove it but roger's wont let me post i here. 

Chatlog Removed - Keep personal info private - RogersTony

"

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@imeem wrote:

That's not what i been told. it's basically a business strategy to segment customers, without actually saying its a business strategy. I got the chatlog to prove it but roger's wont let me post i here. 

Chatlog Removed - Keep personal info private - RogersTony

I saw what you wrote yesterday.  I'm not a huge fan of chat because people tend to write tersely and messages often do not come across as intended.

I also do not believe that Rogers is trying to treat you or any other former FIDO customers as second-class customers.  The XB6 has traditionally been the modem/gateway that they issue to their 150 Megabit customers.  (My sister still has her XB6; it works great and she has no intention of upgrading.)  As for you, I think that Rogers simply had a larger-than-expected inventory of XB6 gateways in their warehouse and a significant number of new customers (including former-FIDO customers) signing up for their 150 Mb service.  If XB8 gateways are in short supply, they prioritize the XB7 for higher speed tiers and 150 Mb customers get issued an XB6.

Later this year, when the XER10 router becomes available, that will probably become standard issue for FTTH customers.  Rogers will then have more XB8 gateways in their inventory and more XB7 gateways that can be allocated to customers on lower speed tiers.  With new hardware on the horizon, Rogers likely also put a freeze on purchases of XB7 gateways and will manage their existing inventory of gateways as best as they can.

For now, rest assured that you are not missing out on any amazing features, nor will you notice any speed increase on the 150 Mb service with an XB7 or the XB8.  (All of the Ignite Gateways share the same UI and feature set.). When the XB7 gateways become available to all customers again, call in to Rogers, tell them that you need more Ethernet ports, and they will almost certainly provide you with an XB7.

AFSallam
I've been here awhile

I have called Rogers tech support, and they were super helpful. The guy agreed to replace the XB6 with XB7 without any of the customer service poor arguments, and their tech came and installed the XB7 yesterday.

I wasn't complaining about the quality of the XB6, my complain was about being promised / paying for a specific service / equipment, and receiving an inferior one with out even letting me know.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, remember that every time a customer has extensive dealings with Rogers, requires a truck roll, etc, when absolutely nothing is technically accomplished, it costs all Rogers customers money.

AFSallam
I've been here awhile

It doesn't cost Rogers customers money; it costs Rogers money. Money that I have already paid when I signed up to get a specific service, so don't try to portray me as the bad guy here for not falling for their scam.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AFSallam wrote:  It doesn't cost Rogers customers money; it costs Rogers money. 

Ha, ha: I assume you also believe that the various levels of government are not funded by taxpayers?  Or that moving money from your right pocket to the left accomplishes something?

imeem
I plan to stick around

see above for my other comment, i have Ignite 500 via migration, they won't replace it with XB7. But will most definitely will if I had normal a normal Ignite 500 plan NOT from migration. From experience, there is a difference between XB6 and XB7 from wifi standard, additional ethernet ports, and XB7 handles poor RSSI better than XB6. currently i wont activate my Rogers service until my Fido service is cut off since the 4 Ethernet ports is vital to me 

I did, but the rogers agent gave an excuse and said Fido to Rogers Ignite 500 customer only get XB5 "due to provisioning issue". But at the same time, told me he can give me XB7/XB8 if i go 1.5 gigabit. Why would a "provisioning" issue only apply to a Fido to Ignite 500 customer, but no one else?  

At the same time, I know if I was a regular Ignite 500 customer instead of a migration customer, they would have given me a XB7. 

AFSallam
I've been here awhile

Bud, you are making it too political for a simple business interaction. I subscribed to / paid for a specific service / equipment, and I should have received the right equipment since day one. It is a simple contractual obligation that binds both sides. My money for their service / the right one not anything else. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@imeem wrote:

see above for my other comment, i have Ignite 500 via migration, they won't replace it with XB7. But will most definitely will if I had normal a normal Ignite 500 plan NOT from migration. From experience, there is a difference between XB6 and XB7 from wifi standard, additional ethernet ports, and XB7 handles poor RSSI better than XB6. currently i wont activate my Rogers service until my Fido service is cut off since the 4 Ethernet ports is vital to me 

I did, but the rogers agent gave an excuse and said Fido to Rogers Ignite 500 customer only get XB5 "due to provisioning issue". But at the same time, told me he can give me XB7/XB8 if i go 1.5 gigabit. Why would a "provisioning" issue only apply to a Fido to Ignite 500 customer, but no one else?  

Yeah, Rogers is experiencing provisioning issues... but I thought that it only affected the activation of new equipment.  Some new customers, and existing customers getting replacement gateways, were experiencing outages of up to several days because Rogers could get their new/replacement gateway online.

Yes, the XB7 and XB8 have more Ethernet ports, support newer Wi-Fi standards, and support higher data rates.  (See here for more info.)  However, they do not gain any new configuration options.

If I remember correctly, the XB6 also has more 5 GHz antennas than the XB7, and the XB6-T, specifically, can out-perform the XB7 on the 5 GHz band at long range.

With the 150 Mbps service, if there is sufficient bandwidth available, Rogers will allow their customers to download at speeds exceeding 400 Mbps.  With the 500 Mbps service, transfer speeds can exceed 750 Mbps.  The XB6 can support both services but the XB7 has been standard issue for 500 Mbps customers for years.

Regardless of what the Rogers CSR told you, if you subscribe to the 500 Mbps service, you should definitely be getting the XB7 gateway.  Try sending a private message to @CommunityHelps  to see if they can arrange for you to have your gateway upgraded.

be_em
I've been around

I am in the same boat.  Did you have any success or anyone else have any success ?

Jingfeng
I've been around

I called rogers technical support about how the xb6 is making too much noise at night time that I had to turn it off every night and that there are only 2 ethernet ports. So they arranged a technician to come and change it. The technician came in carrying a xb7 but once he realized that i migrated from Fido to rogers recently. He instantly stop and told me that he is not allow to make the switch because i migrated from Fido to rogers and that he needs to make a call to further confirm if he is allow to do so. He came back later that he cant change the xb6 to xb7 since people who migrated from Fido to rogers are only allow to be given xb6. I didn't argue with the technician since he was just doing his job. i can see on his face that he cant do anything for me.  why cant i change xb6 to xb7 because xb6 is  build so dam bad. Ventilation for this modem is almost none existent. it is always hot and the fan spinning is always making humbling sound. the humbling sound is even louder than my pc next to it. Rogers want to keep the fido customers but they want to give this modem to them.

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 in conversation