Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

The Rogers Community Forums has always played an important role in providing important feedback regarding our products and services. We are excited to offer our users an opportunity to participate in a trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACSMR, CGN3ACR and CGN3AMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). This program is exclusive to registered users of the Rogers Community Forums (space is limited).

The new firmware includes the following features and enhancements:

• IPv6 enabled by default
  • Security enhancements
  • Fix to preserve LAN connectivity in case of HFC outage or loss of signal
  • Addition of Wi-Fi Survey functionality
  • Improved stability of WPS function
  • Improved Wi-Fi performance
  • Various minor GUI changes and improvements

If you are interested in participating, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps with the subject line “Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial”.  A member of our team will be in contact with you and provide you with further instructions.

We’re keen to receive feedback on this new firmware. Once you've received the new firmware, please provide your feedback directly in the FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial thread. 

Questions regarding this program can be posted below.

***Please note - you must be a registered user of the Rogers Community Forums in order to participate.  To register, please follow these steps.***

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

625 REPLIES 625

Re: Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem – Firmware Trial

factory reset the router, then disable 2.4Ghz and test speeds again using a wired connection. After that enable 2.4Ghz, then reboot the modem (unplug the modem for 30 seconds).
if using wireless, always use WPA2 AES, this is the strongest encryption, and allows for the fastest connection speeds

SickBeast
I plan to stick around

I contacted Rogers technical support and they said that the Coda 4582 modem has been recalled.  I then called my local Rogers store and they were also aware of the recall.  The tech support rep told me that the recall was due to "interference" issues.  I was told to look for a small round black sticker near the barcode on the box of the new modem, and he said that there would be the same sticker near where you plug the power cord into the modem.  The rep at the store told me they had the new batch of modems in stock and sure enough it had the black stickers.

So far I have had absolutely no wireless interference with the new modem!  So if you guys are affected by this issue I highly recommend you go into the store for a modem swap.

@SickBeast wrote:

I contacted Rogers technical support and they said that the Coda 4582 modem has been recalled.  I then called my local Rogers store and they were also aware of the recall.  The tech support rep told me that the recall was due to "interference" issues.  I was told to look for a small round black sticker near the barcode on the box of the new modem, and he said that there would be the same sticker near where you plug the power cord into the modem.  The rep at the store told me they had the new batch of modems in stock and sure enough it had the black stickers.

So far I have had absolutely no wireless interference with the new modem!  So if you guys are affected by this issue I highly recommend you go into the store for a modem swap.

it's not a recall, it only affects a certain batch of modems. 

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
@RogersMoin can you help me out here I have been experiencing downgraded upload , and missing channel 14 on my down stream levels is there any way you can check my area for node issues?

Hello, @lethalsniper, thank you for your post. I see you have sent a PM to CommunityHelps. We will check the issue you have reported. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

HI @Datalink @RogersDave which of the two modem should I get for my area the cgn3acsmr or the CGNM 3552 now that they both run on .27 firmware, does one have better latency? Thanks for all your help.

what plan are you on? 3552 is for gigabit plan, ACSMR is for 60,100,250u
3552 can bond to 32 channels, ACSMR bonds to 24 channels. I personally think the ACSMR would have less latency, since there is less channels.

I'm on ignite 250 , I know some people who are on ignite 100 and are on the 3552 modem , so your saying the less the channels better latency ? If that's the case what about the newer modem which suppose to have the better latency how many channels does it have

@lethalsniper@gp-se, and others,  the CODA-4582 is capable of running a 32 channels down, 8 channels up for Docsis 3.0, 2 Channels down, 2 Channels up for Docsis 3.1.  The CGNM-3552 is capable of running 32 channels down, 8 channels up for Docsis 3.0.  The CGN3ACSMR is probably capable of running 24 channels down, 8 channels up for Docsis 3.0 as well.  

In any discussion of latency thru the modem you have to remember where Rogers internet clients are coming from, and that is a Puma 6MG modem, with its inherent latency due to the firmware design.  A read thru the following post should be a starting point as a refresher and for anyone who is new to Rogers modems.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/369...

The top image in that post represents the latency of all CGN3xxxx and CGNM series modems for all protocols with the following exceptions:

1.  Any CGN3xxxx and CGNM series modem running with firmware version 4.5.8.27.  In this particular case, Version 4.5.8.27 brings the IPV4 ICMP (ping) latency down to more respectable levels, as is seen in the bottom two images.  If you look closely at those images, which are from a 24 hour ping test to the CMTS, the average is down around 12 ms, instead of 20 ms with spikes ranging up into the mid to high 200 ms. At this moment, the cable ISP world is waiting for Intel and Arris to get on with modifying the firmware to do the same to everything else: IPV6 ICMP, IPV4 & IPV6 TCP/IP and UDP.  UDP is important for gaming and DNS lookups for web page loading and navigation over the internet.  At the present time, all of those protocols, in application and in a ping test will look like the top image in that post.  

While the cable world has been waiting for Intel and Arris, SuperDave and Co have released Intel's next generation Puma 7 modem, essentially beating Intel and their solution for the Puma 6MG modems.  So, whats the difference.  For IPV4 the CODA-3482 ICMP appears to be on par with the CGNM-3552 plots at the bottom of my referenced post, if not slightly worse.  There are no repetitive high ping spikes.  For IPV4 TCP/IP the performance is relatively the same, no repetitive high ping spikes.  UDP, the jury is still out.  This requires a co-operative server that is set to return a UDP ping which I don't have access to.  

At the end of the day the question is, is there an improvement and which one should I choose?  Without a doubt there is substantial improvement from the Puma 6MG CGN3xxx and CGNM series modems to the Puma 7 CODA-4582.  Remember that this is basic performance and throughput.  There are still some issues that Dave has indicated including some strange results with Pingplotter and WinMTR, but that is really cosmetic and will be resolved.  This also occurred in test versions for the CGN3ACSMR, so, its not a huge issue but it does cause confusion.  

The one interesting issue is UDP packet loss with the CODA-4582.  From my testing there appears to be a limit of 6.995 Mb/s beyond which a UDP transfer starts to fail, loosing up to 50 % at higher transfer rates above 10 Mb/s. Those rates are pretty low, but, consider this:  running GRC's DNS benchmark which is UDP driven, the loss with a CGNM-3552 would be up to approx 12%.  Running the same test with the CODA-4582, that loss drops to 0%.  So, the real question is how much of a loss is seen ingame.  If you're not seeing any loss beyond say a 12% range with a 4582, then your probably on par with a CGN3xxx or CGNM series modem.  The major difference is that you shouldn't see the same ping spikes as would be seen with a Puma 6MG modem.  That however remains to be confirmed with an actual test plot.  I won't believe it until I see the actual results.  

So, at the present time I have a backlog of number crunching that I have to do in order to plot the ping data and present the comparisons.   Given the MDD Timeout failure that I had today, I have another day of ping data to collect with V2.0.10.20.  Once that is complete I'll post the results.  

Hope this helps. 

Thanks @Datalink but if i had to choose which one the CGNM 3552 or the acsmr for latency/ gaming , would there be one more compatible in my area due to node congestion issues and would the modem with more up and down channels cause more latency? Thanks again datalink

Normally, the higher the channel count, the better, in terms of channel bonding and the ability to deliver higher data rates.  In terms of node issues, I can't help as I don't have access to the system and therefore don't know what the load situation is on the CMTS.  Same for any specific issues that might be affecting the CMTS performance.  Those are questions that @RogersDave would have to address.  

So if u had a choose from the two which one would you choose for gaming I'm on the ignite 250 plan and from my understanding the .27 firmware has stopped deploying to the CGNM 3552 ? ? I had the acsmr but had have a missing channel on 14 Rogers are coming to replace the modem ,would that be a 27 firmware issue that's caused a missing channel?

Moving forward, if you want the best gaming experience, you should be using a CODA-4582. There is no doubt about this. It will give you the best performance in terms of latency and the best throughput, especially when we deploy DOCSIS 3.1 in your area.

Now that being said, there are still some issues being addressed. Based on daily conversations with Hitron, I'm pretty confident that I'll have a firmware that addresses all critical issues in the next 4 weeks. I will also likely get interim firmwares with some of the fixes before that.

Participants of the firmware trial program (like you) will be getting these fixes right away. For non-participants, it will take an additional 2-3 weeks for us to complete testing and validation.

So my suggestion, unless your Internet is completely broken and unusable (which I don't think it is, although not giving you the best performance) is to keep your current modem for until we have a firmware addressing the UDP and slowly degrading speed issues. Then you can swap your modem for a CODA-4582.

I will post all the details in this forum as soon as I have it and I'm sure there will be feedback as well from the community to help you decide.

If you do decide to change modem right away and don't want a CODA-4582, you won't have the luxury to pick the model. We are moving to DOCSIS 3.1 and the CODA-4582 is what most stores have in stock. They will likely have either CGNM-3552 or CGN3ACSMR but probably not both. In both cases, I can put firmware .27 on them. On the CGNM-3552, your uplink speed will likely be limited to around 15 Mbps with that firmware.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Dave

Well, I'm running a CODA-4582 by choice, in Bridge mode with an RT-AC68U behind it.  I'm not a gamer, but from the family gamer, I've heard no complaints.  I think that running the modem in Bridge mode with your own router is the way to go.  I'm making an assumption at this point in time that the UDP performance is similar in nature to the ICMP and TCP/IP, but as I've said earlier, I'll believe that when I can see it for myself.  There is an issue with the max transfer rates for UDP packets, but I don't believe that you would be worse off than running a CGN3ACSMR with .27 loaded.  That version can be loaded on a CGNM-3552 by request, but then you would be capped at ~20 Mb/s instead of 50 Mb/s that the modem can do.  

Thanks @RogersDave I do want to get the coda modem but reading all these negative reviews from speeds dropping big time it's stopping me on getting this modem. Is there a way for you to find out this new coda modem does actually work okay in my area with no complaints of Downgrade speeds ? And you say that the .27 firmware on the CGNM 3552 will downgrade my upload to 15 mb but I'm getting that now on my acsmr on .27 firmware ? And I'm on ignite 250/20 plan so it's not a CGNM 3552 issue

Sanek
I'm here a lot

Is there any way to tell if the area I'm in has DOCSIS3.1 deployed?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have a CODA-4582 modem, the front download LED will be cyan in colour denoting 3.1.  For Docsis 3.0, its blue.  If you look at the OFDM Downstream data in the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, you will probably see one OFDM channel active if 3.1 is up and running in your area.

What's the benefits of docs 3.1 anyway ? Will it benefit me even thou I'm only on ignite speeds

Sorry, I meant to ask - if you don't have a CODA-4582 modem, is there a way to tell if DOCSIS 3.1 has been deployed? Will support be able to tell me that?

As of right now which modem will give me the better pings/latency when it comes to gaming the coda with firmware 20 or the acsmr with firmware .27 or 28 if it ever comes out.

The CODA will, however I would probably recommend to wait 3-4 weeks with that until all issues are resolved as some are pretty severe (IMO). So if you have another modem right now and its running fine, I would recommend you to wait until the major CODA issues get resolved.

That said, I had no gaming issues with 3552 running firmware .27, but that does limit your upload to ~20 Mbit.