cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix error message 'You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.'

karl_kennedy
I plan to stick around

Ok community, here is a puzzle.

I was watching my shows on Netflix using the built in app of my Rogers box (Xi6-T). All was good. All has been good since signing up with Ignite 2 years ago.

Well, my first error message came up the next day I decided to continue watching my show.

I clicked on the last episode and this came up:

"

'You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.'"

I contaced Netflix and they tell me I am using a VPN?? I have not downloaded nor installed one. After an exhaustive chat, they basically said call my ISP. So, after talking with Rogers, they in turn state it's nothing on there end, call Netflix. Well, i called back and actually had someone do quite a bit more investigation with me.

I can watch the same show on my phone ap or computer, but not through my TV Box or my Xbox ONE app??

very strange as it will work through Rogers as they've stated" nothing wrong here".

Well, I got the answer of " since we can't figure it out, continue to be inconvenienced and use it on whatever does work but for now, we will investigate it. If we do figure it out, just check back periodically until you see if it is fixed. We won't email you if it does though.

Wow.

So, I am forced to try and figure it out myself. Any thoughts community?

*** Edited Labels ***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Netflix error message 'You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.'

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@karl_kennedy  That's really weird.   Are you using your own router or do you have your set-top boxes connected directly to the Ignite gateway or through Ignite WiFi Pods?

If you are using only Rogers-supplied equipment, I do have the following suggestions:

1) Check to see whether you have Protected Browsing enabled in the Ignite WiFi Hub.  If so, try disabling it because it can cause some applications to break in unpredictable ways.  Also, make sure that your set-top boxes are not protected by Parental Controls.  I would also reboot your Ignite gateway to reset your network.

2) It's possible that the Netflix application has gotten into a bad state and needs to be reset.  Press the "A" button on your Ignite remote to access the Help screen, scroll right and select "Reset Netflix".  After you do this, you will need to log back into Netflix again.

Best of luck with your troubleshooting.  Please let us know if any of the above gets the Netflix app working again.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers also has some troubleshooting tips on their Support site: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/netflix-not-working-ignite-tv

The only other thing that it suggests is to perform a System Refresh.  I'm not sure why but it could be to ensure that your set-top box's software components are fully up to date.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

FYI, according to this article, Netflix has been adding some residential IP addresses to their blocklists: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/netflix-is-adding-residential-ip-addresses-to-its-vpn-blockl...

@karl_kennedy  Without more information, I cannot explain why your Ignite set-top box cannot play some content but your Xbox can.  If you are using a standard Rogers installation, it could be that different devices are accessing different CDN servers and caches with different local configurations, or possibly one is accessing Netflix from an IPv4 address and the other connects over IPv6 and only one of those address ranges is getting blocked.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
To solve this problem we must also check what WAN IP is the Rogers Netflix App being assigned? is it using the same one as your Internet WAN IP the one all your devices get when connecting to your modem or is it maybe going thru a Private VLAN and maybe the apps on the set top box see a different external WAN IP perhaps?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:
To solve this problem we must also check what WAN IP is the Rogers Netflix App being assigned? is it using the same one as your Internet WAN IP the one all your devices get when connecting to your modem or is it maybe going thru a Private VLAN and maybe the apps on the set top box see a different external WAN IP perhaps?

There's nothing weird or strange like that going on.

When the set-top box makes a connection over IPv4, it's private IP address gets NAT'ed and connections to Internet hosts appear to originate from the Ignite gateway's WAN IP address.

There's no NAT with IPv6 so, connections from the set-top box will originate from its assigned IPv6 address, which gets assigned from a delegated block of IPv6 address space.

With the Ignite gateways, we don't have the ability to monitor the connection flows through its firewall.

When running over my own network gear, I can see the Netflix client on the set-top box making a connection over IPv4 to a Netflix cache at a Rogers-owned IPv4 address.

Netflix has been working fine for me.  I don't know whether @karl_kennedy  is still experiencing problems.

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Are you using your own router if so, be sure IPv6 is configured and working properly. Also power cycle the modem and your router (if you have one) as well as the Rogers Box

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation