cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Latency and Ping Issues while Gaming

sharpenel
I've been here awhile

Hello, I would appreciate if a Rogers expert is able to assist me with my ping/latency issues, particularly while gaming. 

- Rogers Ignite internet 1.5G service

- wireless connection 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands. Have manually selected the least congested WIFI channels for both bands

- ping spikes observed on desktop computer and android phone when pinging www.google.com

- does not matter what game

- ping usually steady at <50ms for most games, but will spike to 100-200 for no apparent reason, even when no one else is intensively using the internet

- Upload/download speed tests are fine, and internet/tv generally works fine otherwise

- Please see ping and traceroute below, as mentioned the issues come and go throughout the day..:

PING Results:
Ping statistics for 142.251.32.68:
Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 556ms, Average = 26ms

TRACEROUTE Results:

Tracing route to www.google.com [142.251.32.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.50.1
2 17 ms 14 ms 17 ms 99.247.72.1
3 14 ms 21 ms 16 ms 24.156.142.173
4 16 ms 14 ms 23 ms 9022-cgw01.wlfdle.rmgt.net.rogers.com [66.185.81.230]
5 17 ms 15 ms 17 ms 209.148.235.214
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 19 ms 16 ms 14 ms 192.178.99.39
8 13 ms 17 ms 17 ms 142.251.68.27
9 18 ms 16 ms 13 ms yyz12s07-in-f4.1e100.net [142.251.32.68]

Trace complete.

I appreciate any assistance.

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Intermittent Latency and Ping Issues while Gaming

RogersZia

Good evening @sharpenel,

Welcome to the Community!

These details definitely help, however we may have to complete a few more tests to assist you further. Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps to get started. 

RogersZia

Twendelboe
I plan to stick around

Same issue (Check post history) and I have an escalated ticket.

I was told It is a neighborhood wide issue, and from what I gather, It won't be fixed anytime soon. Heck, I haven't heard anything in over two weeks.

If you can, switch ISPs to Fibre or even ADSL if fibre isn't available. 

Rogers cable (or a reseller) is my only choice and I am excited for the continued rollout of a local fibre option. 

For the time being, I currently take my zoom calls via Telus cellphone and limit gaming to mostly single player. 

Shadowbeam
I've been here awhile

I have intermittent latency, too. A Rogers tech already replaced my modem, but the problem persists. I'm replacing my Ethernet cable to see if maybe that is the issue. I've switched the port it's connected to in my modem. But while I think that might be part of it, I think something else is the cause because the latency is slow over wifi, too; it's just even slower over Ethernet. Wifi is around 200ms, while Ethernet is over 600ms. So the mystery continues...

Fibre would be really neat to get. I just wouldn't be thrilled about the price.

Given all the issues I've been having, I'm glad that most of my gaming has been single-player offline games—I would be beyond frustrated if game performance was impacted by Internet quality.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation