cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite 500 download/upload speed

Iamnotmarty
I've been here awhile

So Rogers installed the Ignite 500 service at my house a couple days ago. When I connected to the modem (XB8) I was only getting about 80/90Mbps download on both wire and wireless with the Rogers speedtest. The installation tech claims there is no issue cuz that's what he's getting as well. So I contacted CS the next day who then transferred me to tech support. They ran some tests on the modem remotely but was not able to he next day, who ran some tests remotely but was not able to find out about anything. They dispatched a technician to me the following morning to look at this. This technician also says there is nothing wrong here since the signal coming into the house is in fact 500Mbps, the signal from the modem will be slower which is completely normal and there's nothing to worry about. Has anyone had this issue before? Cuz it seems bizarre to me that "Ignite 500" means 500 Mbps coming into the house, and your actual speed will be a coin toss.... I've seen download speeds of 400+ on my devices so I know my hardware is not the limiting factor.

***Edited Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ignite 500 download/upload speed

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most people on Rogers 500 typically get significantly more than that, especially with the speedboost that Rogers offers, providing temporary speeds well in excess of what you pay for if the location/infrastructure allows.  If you're not getting the 500 you pay for using an Ethernet connection to a device capable of say 1000 Mbps or a relatively new device like a phone near the XB8 you should be getting around 500, perhaps even more depending on the device and your WiFi conditions.

I suggest you PM the mods on this forum and have them check out and test your location.

When logged into the forum, click on @CommunityHelps   .  On the page that comes up, you'll see a link on the top right of the screen to "send a message".  If you're using a tablet or phone, you may need to switch your browser to the desktop version. How to do that will depend on the device but a web search should find it.  There may be some back and forth required while Rogers get your personal information to look into your account.  Personal information is not allowed in this forum.  

I really hate the fact that some Rogers technicians try to slough off poor performance with lies/inaccurate comments.

PS. Some devices may have an upper limit of 100 Mbps, hence you get about 80-90 on say an inexpensive dongle connected to a laptop.

ve3nrt
I plan to stick around

The notes on Rogers Speed Test (which apply to any other speed test service) state.

• Other devices in the home online during the test
  • WiFi signal interference
  • The technical capabilities of your device 

So the limitation can be due to the device you are testing with as 57 says. Using the 2.5Gb port on my modem and a 10Gb port on my desktop using a short run of shielded CAT5E I got 1.8 Gb with my 1.5Gb service. My laptop on Wi-Fi got about 200 Mb. 

Iamnotmarty
I've been here awhile

Correct. I ran Rogers speed tests on both my laptop (1GbE and Wifi6 2.4Gbps) and my desktop (2.5GbE and Wifi6 2.4 Gbps) with a 2 foot cable directly to my modem (provided by the 2nd Rogers technician). Both consistently getting about 80Mbps; same as my phone one floor up.... My previous landlord had the 500 Mbps service, and both my laptop and desktop were able to achieve ~400Mbps one floor up on the opposite corner of the house so I've pretty much ruled out everything to do with my hardware capability.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You may have been improperly provisioned.  I assume you checked a few different speedtest sites.  I suggest you PM the mods as I outlined in my previous posts. It may take some back and forth, but it should result in you getting the speed you pay for, or more.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation