cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Prefix on Fiber

David92
I plan to stick around

Is there a way to get a larger prefix than /64 on IPv6 over fiber? I'm trying to figure out if it's something on my end or if it is even supported?

There are many posts all over where other people make reference to using a /56 prefix without issue. Is this something that is only partly implemented and it depends on where you are?

***Added Labels***

39 REPLIES 39

Re: IPv6 Prefix on Fiber

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JKnott wrote:

The other thread I linked to mentioned it's a Nokia problem.  Are other ONTs available?  If so, perhaps getting one of those may help.

The ONTs are relatively dumb devices that connect to an OLT and provide Ethernet connectivity to the CPE.  The IPv6 PD comes from a delegating router, and there is nothing about the Nokia gear (I'm assuming that they are using Nokia SRs) that restricts you to a fixed /64 prefix.  It's just how Rogers has the routing infrastructure servicing their XGS-PON endpoints configured.

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

The router would be in the CASA CMTS, IIRC.  As I thought, the ONT is essentially a bridge, just like my cable modem in bridge mode and should be transparent.  I expect the provisioning would also be in the CMTS.  In addition to the Internet, the CMTS also provides the other services, such as digital TV, phone, etc.  There are coax cables on the other side of the CMTS, which connect to splitters for the other services.  IIRC, there are 80 coax cables, connecting to banks of splitters for each CMTS.

Regardless, limiting people to a single /64 is dumb, given the huge IPv6 address space.  When I first got IPv6 from Rogers, I had only a single /64.  However, that changed shortly after to /56.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

Rogers Network engineers must be very busy integrating the recent Shaw acquisition to be bothered with existing customer woes like this ipv6 prefix delegation ...  Shame on You Rogers SHAME ... 4+ weeks and counting 

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

David92
I plan to stick around

I finally got an answer from Rogers directly. They don't support prefixes larger than /64 on their fiber network.

JKnott

That's stupid.  Remind me to not get fibre.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

I cannot believe that Rogers are THAT stupid ….. this makes absolutely no sense …. But it’s Rogers after all ….

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

mozerd
I plan to stick around

So let me get this straight: Rogers supports a /56 on RFOG but does not support a /56 on Pure Fiber?

So The Fiber Powered Network that Rogers hypes does support a /56 BUT the Pure Fiber Network Rogers is also hyping does not support a /56 ..... from  a technical perspective THIS is absolute nonsense

The Fiber Powered Network and the Pure Fiber Network is one of the same NETWORK ... the separation lies at the CMTS  in supporting COAX via RFOG ... 

Who is in charge of the Technical monkey Show ? Can any one spell mediocrity  ...

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Okay, but even with a /64 PD, do you realize that you are getting more address space than the entire IPv4 Internet?

JKnott

In fact, it's the entire IPv4 address space squared!  However, people often want to have multiple networks.  For example, I have a guest WiFi SSID, which has it's own prefix.  IIRC, the best practices says a minimum /56 for customers, though some ISPs provide /48.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Generally, network operators will make a decision up front as to how much IPv6 address space they allocate to their residential and to their business customers; how many subnets per customer.  /48 is a typical allocation to business customers.  For residential, a typical allowable PD is /56, many only allow /64, some split the difference and allow requests of /60.

I suspect that Rogers is in the process of redoing their IPv6 address plan, and I hope that common sense will prevail and that they will allow for at least a /60 PD to all residential customers.  If the math allows allocation of a /56 PD, even better, but Rogers seriously needs to have a plan in place to accommodate customers that require more than a /64 PD.

mozerd
I plan to stick around

I got talking to someone who I cannot ID involved in implementation .... Rogers embarked on a Multi-Layered Network Configuration -- bottom line is that they have not finished converting many Regional Plants to this multi-layered system. Fiber Powered, DOCIS 4.x so eventually /56 will be across all layers .... the Shaw merger throws everything into a black hole ...

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

JKnott

@-G- wrote:

Generally, network operators will make a decision up front as to how much IPv6 address space they allocate to their residential and to their business customers; how many subnets per customer.  /48 is a typical allocation to business customers.  For residential, a typical allowable PD is /56, many only allow /64, some split the difference and allow requests of /60.

I suspect that Rogers is in the process of redoing their IPv6 address plan, and I hope that common sense will prevail and that they will allow for at least a /60 PD to all residential customers.  If the math allows allocation of a /56 PD, even better, but Rogers seriously needs to have a plan in place to accommodate customers that require more than a /64 PD.

There are enough global addresses to give every single person on earth over 4000 /48s.  No need to be stingy.  However, as another post shows, the single /64 is just temporary

MarcelB42
I've been here awhile

Are we still restricted to the ridiculous /64 for the IPv6 prefix delegation on the fiber network. Could see in posts like https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/IPv6-Prefix-on-Fiber/m-p/506541 that it was a restriction but the threads seemed to indicate that it shouldn’t remain that way (and already wasn’t the case for the older non-fiber connections) so wasn’t sure if that restriction was still in place. 

Have my OPNsense router directly connected to to the ONT - and think I have it configured to request a /56 (also tried a /60) (although not 100% sure I’ve got all the right settings as my previous ISP didn’t support IPv6 at all) but only seem to get a /64. 

This unfortunately makes IPv6 completely useless to me as you can’t sensibly subdivide to provide proper isolation to my guest or restricted networks. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MarcelB42 wrote:

Are we still restricted to the ridiculous /64 for the IPv6 prefix delegation on the fiber network.

I'm pretty sure that this is still the case.

Have my OPNsense router directly connected to to the ONT - and think I have it configured to request a /56 (also tried a /60) (although not 100% sure I’ve got all the right settings as my previous ISP didn’t support IPv6 at all) but only seem to get a /64. 

Unfortunately, this is also a configuration that Rogers cannot provide any official support for.  The service that they offer is a turnkey solution with your devices connected directly to the Ignite Gateway.

I'm not defending Rogers here.  Just saying that anybody who uses 3rd-party hardware faces the possibility that they could run into technical limitations or other unexpected brokenness at any time.

This unfortunately makes IPv6 completely useless to me as you can’t sensibly subdivide to provide proper isolation to my guest or restricted networks. 

Yeah.  For now, you are kinda stuck with those other networks being IPv4-only.

@MarcelB42 have a look at the following thread, specifically page two, bottom of the page, post from @mozerd.

IPv6 Prefix on Fiber - Rogers Community

Looks like the plan is to allow a /56 from an Optical Network Terminal eventually, but, Rogers isn't there yet, according to your post. 

Fwiw, your post should be moved to the other thread.  That's for the moderators to do. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MarcelB42 wrote:

The configuration for IPv6 subnets (and the security policy for traffic flowing to, from and between them) can be a bit tricky but the first step is confirming that you can request a /56 PD, or anything larger than the standard /64; that is straightforward.  If you can't get that far, your journey ends there.

JKnott

@-G- wrote:

@MarcelB42 wrote:

The configuration for IPv6 subnets (and the security policy for traffic flowing to, from and between them) can be a bit tricky but the first step is confirming that you can request a /56 PD, or anything larger than the standard /64; that is straightforward.  If you can't get that far, your journey ends there.

What he can do is run a packet capture on his WAN connection to see what's being requested and provided.  OPNSense has a built in Packet Capture that can do that.

MarcelB42
I've been here awhile

Just tried setting up a packet capture and doing a release/renew cycle. Can see in the captured data that it is requesting a /56 - but only getting back a /64. At least that confirms that it is because of restrictions on Roger’s side vs some possible misconfiguration on my side. 

A bit disappointing that we can’t get something useful for advanced setups - guess I’ll have to stick with a pure IPv4 setup for now. 

mkourlas
I've been around

I'm running into this issue as well on Rogers FTTH. Requesting a /56 using OPNsense but only getting a /64 back.

As a result I can only use IPv6 on one of my subnets. 😞

Topic Stats
  • 39 replies
  • 32 Likes
  • 7 in conversation