cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Change Wi-Fi Settings on XB7

nuklz96
I've been here awhile

So I have been told that I can no longer change any of my wifi settings on my XB7 using the web interface?

All interactive areas are greyed out, I can't change the SSID, password, channel, or mode.  my 2.4Ghz network only broadcasts wifi g/n (5Ghz network is broadcasting up to ax) but it doesn't make any sense that Rogers would lock me out of basic admin privileges like making changes to the SSID and network password.

I placed a a call over a month ago and when i called in this evening I was told no service ticket was generated, which is infuriating to say the least. 

And today this is what I was fed after being on hold for 45 minutes.

Personally I think the rep didn't care or didn't understand the problem.  I was also told at the end of the convo that Rogers made these changes right around the time I initially placed the service call, sadly I noticed the issue weeks prior to placing said service call and didn't call in right away, so that smelled a little funny to me, not to mention the "tech" gave no specific date as to when these changes were implemented, just was told "around the time you called us".

I was also told that every time I log in (10.0.0.1) I should see a pop up telling me about these restrictions, which I have never seen.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the case? Or was I just hurried along to get to the next caller.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot Change Wi-Fi Settings on XB7

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, we are no longer have manual control over any Wi-Fi settings on the Ignite gateways.  The only thing that we can change are the SSID and passphrase; everything else is auto-selected.

Several users have vented their frustrations about this in multiple threads, and I also publicly expressed my opinion as well and provided technical reasons for why we should be allowed to have full control over our Wi-Fi settings.  Nevertheless, both Rogers and Comcast are standing firm and don't show any signs of reconsidering their positions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, we are no longer have manual control over any Wi-Fi settings on the Ignite gateways.  The only thing that we can change are the SSID and passphrase; everything else is auto-selected.

Several users have vented their frustrations about this in multiple threads, and I also publicly expressed my opinion as well and provided technical reasons for why we should be allowed to have full control over our Wi-Fi settings.  Nevertheless, both Rogers and Comcast are standing firm and don't show any signs of reconsidering their positions.

DevonK
I'm here a lot

I found a workaround for this just recently when I upgraded to Ignite from the Hitron modem. Because I don't currently have any device with cellular data access, I could not use the Rogers Wifi Hub app to set up my wifi as obviously the app needs to communicate with the modem to work, and as the app does not run on a PC or laptop you can't get around not having cellular data access by using an Ethernet connection to get it talking to the modem.

The workaround turned out to be relatively simple: with an Ethernet connection to my Windows PC, I started the modem up for the first time, waited for the blinking white light, and then entered 10.0.0.1 into a browser address bar. I then got a screen asking me to set up an SSID and pw for wireless access. After doing so I was told the wireless was now functional. (It did take a a few minutes longer for my PC to get internet access through the modem, but doing so did not require any action on my part beyond OK'ing the creation of a new Windows network in a pop-up window.)

I then closed the 10.0.01 tab I had been using and opened a new one to the same address, and got the admin login screen. After creating a new login password, I got access to the settings parameters and they were all functional with the exception of port forwarding - when I went to that I was told it had to be set up through the wifi hub app. But that aside I was able to fully customize my wifi setup, choosing the wifi modes, selecting channels, etc. I created 2 separate networks, one on the 2.4 Ghz band for my older phone that does not support the faster wifi modes, and a wifi 6 network on the 5 Ghz band for everything else.

If you want to try this with a currently operating Rev 2 box, you will need to do a factory reset first - once you have used the WiFi hub app to do any setup all these customizable configuration options get greyed out in the browser management windows.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DevonK Check back in a few days, or perhaps even after just a few hours, to see if you still have access to your Wi-Fi settings.

DevonK
I'm here a lot

Still have access 36 hours after initial setup. I have NOT attempted to do anything with the wifi hub app, which is installed on an iPad, even though I got a notification from the app that new devices had been installed on the wifi network and I should give them a name via the app. I fear that using the app for anything is going to lock out the browser setup access.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DevonK  You will always have access to the web admin UI.  The problem is that if you go to "Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi", then click the "Edit" button, you will eventually see all the Wi-Fi settings greyed out.  I have seen this happen on even on installations where the mobile app was never used or even installed.  The Ignite WiFi Hub back-end is active on new installations and it is only a matter of time before you lose access to your Wi-Fi channel settings.

DevonK
I'm here a lot

Well they aren't greyed out yet, and if they do get greyed out at least they are currently locked into the configuration I want.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DevonK wrote:

Well they aren't greyed out yet, and if they do get greyed out at least they are currently locked into the configuration I want.

Once the Wi-Fi settings get greyed out, everything gets auto-selected.  When you click edit, the UI will still show that you manually selected a channel, but the greyed-out channel number will display whatever the gateway auto-selects.

wetdog
I've been around

I would like the return of function to assign my own channels to 2.4 and 5ghz WIFI. All my neighbours using ignite WIFI are assigned the same channels for 2.4 and 5GHz so we're all in competition for those same 2 channels. Currently waiting for reasonably priced routers with 2.5G (or greater) LAN ports so I can go back to bridge mode with greater control/functionality of my WIFI setup.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation