cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

434 REPLIES 434

Re: Can't create App password

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

If you rent Outlook 365, that most likely explains your success. I bought my Outlook 2013 once. I see no reason to re-buy it every year via a subscription to Outlook 365. But by disabling my purchased Outlook, by requiring a password that neither they nor Rogers will provide, forces people to rent Outlook 365. Perhaps this type of business behavr (no need for the o or the u!!) explains the success of Apple! 

I've had an MS O365 Subscription for years, everything was working fine until a few months ago.  So whether you have a subscription or whether you have a stand-alone copy is irrelevant.  Rogers Yahoo Mail runs on Yahoo's platform.  So yes, I'm . at Rogers, but the technical issues are with Yahoo.   Someone posted on here earlier which I think hit the nail right on the head.  Yahoo wants you to use the web-portal to get your mail simply because of the ads, it's how they make more revenue.  In outlook, you wouldn't be bombarded with ads...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Smeegle wrote:

1. I've had an MS O365 Subscription for years, everything was working fine until a few months ago.  So whether you have a subscription or whether you have a stand-alone copy is irrelevant.  

1. Correct, to a certain extent.  Some people have been able to get the latest version of Outlook (MS365 on IMAP?) working because that version bypasses the need for an app PW.  I also had my wife's Outlook (MS365) e-mail stop working in March due to the loss of her app PW during a computer upgrade and the fact that a new app PW cannot be generated to replace it.  For several reasons we prefer to run POP instead of IMAP.  Luckily my MS365 Outlook is still working for several e-mail addresses that I have, but if it ever failed I'd switch to Gmail in a heartbeat.  My wife is only an occasional user.

2. It has now been 6 months without the app PW generator working.  This is unacceptable and we should be getting feedback from Rogers - either when it will be fixed or if it won't be fixed at all so we can all get on with our lives.

3. This is conjecture my part, but perhaps this is somewhat money related (not ads) but rather what Rogers "pays" Yahoo for this e-mail service and that contract is under renegotiation...

Pa_V
I plan to stick around
“3. This is conjecture my part, but perhaps this is somewhat money related (not ads) but rather what Rogers "pays" Yahoo for this e-mail service and that contract is under renegotiation...”

This last point makes sense considering that Shaw internet customers are still on a different email platform and will need to be integrated somehow.

Pure speculation on my part, but with all the problems Rogers have had with Yahoo, wouldn’t it make sense for Rogers to use Shaw’s email platform for all of its customers?

Lexx124
I've been here awhile

Hey,

Like the rest of you, I've been waiting for months to get my Outlook back, and hated the web based access to my emails. I saw the posts here in August about Office 365 handling the issue well, so finally decided to head to Youtube to see what I could do.

There are several videos about getting 365 for free. I used this one but they all follow the same general plan and it involves joining the MS Developer Program. I followed the instructions, and it certainly works. I have my Outlook back and it does all the correct syncing to my iphone.

The big 'possible' issue is that the program is only 90 days, however, there are numerous comments in several of the videos saying that "so long as you use the product (Outlook, Word etc.) the Developer Program will automatically renew after the 90 day period."

We'll have to wait and see, but just thought I'd pass this along as a possible option to other fellow 'frustratees'.

Cheers

lucho1970
I'm here a lot

It is now September and still no fix. They are aware of the issue, but not able to fix it. When are they going to bring a team of experts to do it for them if their internal people can't handle it. App passwords were working, just fix it already!

Because 7 months later and it's still not working...

davec2012
I plan to stick around

September 13th 2023. Rogers Ineptitude strikes again! NOT SOLVED!

I can't logon into MAC MAIL from my new MacBook Pro with my Rogers Email. "Authentication Failed" Try again later. Apparently people have been trying for months with the same message.

I can't create an APP password either "Generating an app password is currently unavailable".

This affects more than Mac Mail btw, because I synch my contacts from my Rogers Email, all I see now in my messages are phone numbers. 

Did I mention how much this sucks.

Rogers Management perhaps it’s time you guys get out of the email business all together, clearly you’re incapable of fixing much these days.

davec2012
I plan to stick around

I think I will bite the bullet and port all email and contacts out of rogers to gmail. It's a definite drag to say good bye to that address because it's been my address for so long, but enough of these endless issues. I will choose gmail over yahoo as it simply has a better security track record and ease of use. I wouldn't count on rogers for these additional services anymore. Has anyone ever heard of this app password garbage before? Had to have been some hack out of Toronto who came up with this non industry standard solution. These guys still can't implement MFA on their rogers accounts yet and its 2023! It's time to move on I guess. 

App passwords have been around for years. It's how you connect applications when multi factor authentication is required. It certainly wasn't invented by Rogers. But why it isn't working is beyond me.

Breeze99
I've been here awhile

Need an app password for new computer outlook.  Member section of my account not working for this.

davec2012
I plan to stick around
Rogers doesn’t use MFA for email. Like gmail it’s web based. If you have a MAC try connecting to gmail in System Settings/Internet Accounts, it actually launches a web session. There is something odd in the way Rogers authenticates period. It doesn’t launch a web session. Other non rogers Yahoo accounts also authenticate with out the use of an “app password”, just fine. Only Rogers has the issue, and of all the email providers, is the only that hasn’t implemented MFA, and is the only one that insists on an app password. I apologize if I am coming across as harsh, but I am frustrated with Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Breeze99 : It looks like your post was moved to this existing thread on the topic. As discussed in this and other similar threads, the app password part of Rogers/Yahoo has not been working since early March and there is not an ETA on when, or if, this will be fixed. 

You will need to either use Webmail on a browser, or an app on a phone or tablet that doesn't require an app PW.  It appears that Outlook as part of MS365 using IMAP will work, but regular Outlook and Mail on a computer will not because they require an app PW, which Rogers/Yahoo will not currently generate.  Please read recent posts in this or similar threads for additional information.

davec2012
I plan to stick around

Yeah so much for that idea. You can't even use the import feature on gmail to import all of your email from Rogers, seeing the same sort of authentication errors and I suspect for many of the reasons why their email infrastructure is so incredibly broken. So, not only is their email restricted to web only now , you couldn't even migrate your emails to a new account if you wanted to. All my email and contacts are trapped at Rogers. Pathetic!

Jonogrant
I'm here a lot

Hello! I'm new to the forum, not sure how to start a new post but it relates to this issue.

It's almost a year the "Authorized Applications" part of Rogers has been broken.

I have my own domain, which makes it impossible for me to use my own email I've had for 20 years.

If they can't fix it after all these months, REMOVE THE FEATURE!!!

I can't use Outlook on my computer and I can't use standard email on my iPhone? What the heck?

How can users not be complaining about this anymore?

I don't want to change providers but what other choice do I have if Rogers won't fix this problem or offer a work-around.

PS> Using a Rogers account with webmail is not a workaround.

Also, why is Yahoo any part of this? It's the most antiquated system there is.

***How can I escalate this further? Their tech support are ridiculous and only qualified to help beginners reset their modems.

Must be a solution here.

PLEASE HELP! 🙂

Jono Grant

Smeegle
I'm here a lot

I’ve been doing a lot of research on this issue.  Most folks on here are angry with Rogers and rightly so, but what they may not know is that Rogers DOES NOT own Yahoo.  If you do your own research, you’ll find that “Roger’s email is powered by Yahoo”, meaning Yahoo manages the email services for Rogers and its customers.  This also means the issues we’re all experiencing stem from how Yahoo configures their email infrastructure; Rogers has no say in how they manage it.  If you want to get angry at somebody, get angry with Yahoo. 

I’ am now convinced this issue requiring an app password only to find that the app password generator function has been disabled is strategic in nature, see Yahoo mail App Password not available.   When you login to your Yahoo mail via webmail, you’re exposed to all their ads.  Ads make them $$.  When you use an app like Outlook, it filters all those ads out, so you’re not bombarded with them.  It’s one of the primary reason people use Outlook, but it also means Yahoo makes less $$.  Yahoo created this situation to force you to go back to using webmail.  So don’t expect any fix from Rogers or Yahoo anytime soon.

As of August 2, 2023 Microsoft issued a fix for this in Outlook, How to add a Yahoo IMAP account to Outlook Desktop without an App Password.  I applied this fix, but it only works during the initial creation and sync of the account, it fails to synchronize every time after that. So, I’ve since reverted to Current Channel from MS Insider Program.

So as far as I can see, the only option is to create an equivalent named account with another service provider, i.e. Outlook, Google, etc.…You can add the new account to your Outlook and you can still keep the old account in Outlook to refer to any old emails, just turn off the update function so you’re not prompted for the app password on that problematic account. 

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor

Where can I find detailed instructions on your workaround? Do you mean setup a gmail account in Outlook and forward my rogers.com emails to my gmail account? Or setup an @outlook.com email and forward my rogers.com email to that address and pickup my rogers emails in my  @outlook.com account in my Outlook 2013 app? It seems to me that switching to another ISP is the best way to be done with this problem. Rogers obviously isn't leaving Yahoo. There is also a level of contempt for its customers by Rogers in how they have dealt with their customers. Every sales person that calls me from Rogers, to add more services with them (home phone, cell phone), I tell them what a huge mistake I'd be making my bundling. Yet, Rogers still doesn't get it. Worse, the CRTC and the federal government let Rogers take over Shaw!! Such contempt by Rogers for its customers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chdiamo1 wrote:

1.  It seems to me that switching to another ISP is the best way to be done with this problem. 

2.  ...forward my rogers.com emails to my gmail account? 

1. Moving to another ISP is probably the worst thing you can do because if you move locations or don't want that ISP any more, you'll have to change your e-mail address again.

As discussed numerous times in this forum, what you can do instead is switch to say Gmail or Yahoo or your own domain which may cost a few $/month.  That way you can keep your e-mail address "forever" and utilize Outlook or any e-mail client.

2. This is no longer possible.

Thanks for the reply!

I still like to blame Rogers cause I pay them a lot of money!!! lol

jgpuckering
I plan to stick around

Much to my surprise, I tried connecting to Rogers mail today via Microsoft 365 Outlook version 1.2023.920.900 (Production) on Windows and it worked like a charm using my Rogers Yahoo mail credentials.  I did not need an app password.

I also tried with Mozilla Thunderbird 102.10.0 (an older version) and it worked as well.

The other desktop software I connect to Yahoo mail is MailStore, an archiving app.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't connect to Rogers mail via IMAP.  However, I am able to work around that by having MailStore connect to Outlook -- but after archiving I have to manually delete the messages via Outlook or Yahoo webmail.

If you haven't tried connecting Outlook to Rogers Yahoo mail using your regular credentials, you should try it.  Maybe you don't need an App Password anymore.  

carleke1
I've been here awhile

Or, you can switch to Bell, as I'm going to do today out of frustration with Rogers. I can't believe they don't want to fix this.