cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't create App password

eltbrown
I've been here awhile

When I tried to generate an App password to connect to Outlook.

I receive the following message:

Something went wrong on our end. Please try again later.

I tried calling Rogers Support I was told I would have to wait between 20 to 30 mins...

Not happy!

**Labels Added**

438 REPLIES 438

Re: Can't create App password

mwlcom
I've been here awhile

YUP! SUCCESS! I guess it all comes down, as always, to a price tag and revenue-generation.

I just took out a one week trial for 365 to see if Outlook 365 would connect to my Rogers Yahoo mail, like others have said. It did, fully works. Very happy - not so much at now having to spend $109 per year in subscription fees (my old Office 2016 worked just fine until they did this mess-up on passwords), but that is life. Thanks everyone. 

Pa_V
I plan to stick around

Microsoft does sell a standalone version of Office.  The current version is 2021 and Outlook is only included in the Home & Business version ($319).  The Home & Student version ($169) does NOT include Outlook.... 🙄 

danno100
I plan to stick around

The Yahoo password generator has been down since early Spring 2023.

My wife's outlook stopped working and now has to use the dreadfull online web browser.

Can't anyone get this thing fixed? I called many times and they blame Yahoo, then they say it's almost fixed, something to do with a mult-factor authentication? I think time up Rogers....otherwise I will cancel this email account and use something else. Pretty sad!!!!

chdiamo1
I'm a reliable contributor
Does anyone know how to get Yahoo IMAP email to work with Outlook 2013 or 2016 without having to purchase a yearly Outlook subscription? Thanks in advance for your help,

Same here.    Brand new Mac and can't get yahoo rogers mail.  Contacted them again yesterday and got the same old BS.  "We're working on it - use webmail".  So frustrating!  Not sure how long before I switch ISP but not going through the hassle till the weather changes for the worse.  Not looking forward to it.....unacceptable Rogers!  

Taza
I've been around

The Rogers App has not been working since end of feb 2023. I check every month with someone from the President's office; Rogers is still trying to find a fix to this problem. 

murphypaul
I've been here awhile

This has been going on, as far as I can confirm, since March 2023 .. and to date Rogers will not confirm a date when it can be solved ... specifically I have a @roogers.com email address and I wish to down down and populate my outlook365  .... No body at Rogers can help except to make continuous apologises stating they cannot advise when it will be resolved ... blaming a 3rd party .. I assume Yahoo ... Rogers keeps sending the monthly invoices no matter what and advise that the best they can do is offer web mail !!  I have been a Rogers subscriber since 1986 and told there is no point escalating the issue because the answer will be the same.  Rogers knows that ultimately the CRTC have their back thus enabling their high handed dismissive attitude towards their clients.    

Exact same situation with me.  I'm on MS O365.  I've started from scratch several times.  When I add the problematic IMAP account, I'm prompted for the password (regular NOT app password), I'm prompted for the 2FA, then it proceeds to create the account and fully synchronizes, great!  Then when it tries to sync the account after that, I'm prompted for my Rogers/Yahoo login credentials again.  It won't recognize my IMAP account credentials, only my Rogers account credentials.  Once I put that in, all the mail for my IMAP account gets resynced to my Rogers Account credentials.  Haven't found a fix for this yet.

chdiamo1

As of March 2024, this problem will be one year old. Since no one has come up with a definitive answer-other than to purchase Outlook over and over and over again every year via an Office 365 subscription-it looks like there will not be a solution. Either we forget ever having made a one time Microsoft purchase of Outlook (useless now with Rogers email accounts) and using it, or we buy it anew every year. Perhaps this is yet another reason Apple maintains its appeal with a seemingly growing number of people.

chdiamo1

Whether it's $319 for the Home and Business version of Office, the $169 Home and Student version that doesn't include Outlook, eventually we will all have to ditch Outlook and/or Rogers and move to subscription versions. Since the corporate world has seen subscriptions as the way to go, it would not surprise me if our purchased Office software starts to quit working, forcing us to, essentially, annually rent a product we used to own outright. This might even spread to products that must be renewed every year. Maybe we'll have to pay an annual service fee to get our fridges and stoves to keep working or lamps to accept new bulbs etc. The ideas are endless.

chdiamo1

There seem to be isolated instances where one person here and another there has found at least a solution for now to this application password problem (deliberately placed?). But there seems to be no ongoing fix that everyone with an @rogers.com email can use. One thing is for sure, we need the CRTC, the federal government to bring in policies  and MPPs and Senators to bring in legislation that increases competition, not reduces it by allowing companies like Rogers to buy the competition. We are all paying the price of the anti-competition policies of our federal government.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
There is a solution. Stop using ISP email and get a NON-ISP email address. Simple.

chdiamo1

Will Gmail and Hotmail work with Outlook? If so, what is the difference between using Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail's web based webmail and getting Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo emails (i.e. joedoe@yahoo.ca or @yahoo.com) on Outlook?

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
Yup I have my yahoo.ca account on outlook. All will.work.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:
There is a solution. Stop using ISP email and get a NON-ISP email address. Simple.

I like this idea too. I learned my lesson 15 years ago when I cancelled my rogers internet to switch to Bell and my email stopped working while I was waiting for a email reply for a job interview.  By the way I ended up getting the job because I called the recruiter and explained to them about my email issue and gave them an alternate email and they used that to contact me, so how many people go out of their way to contact everyone to inform them to update their records? not many.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chdiamo1 wrote:

Will Gmail and Hotmail work with Outlook? If so, what is the difference between using Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail's web based webmail and getting Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo emails (i.e. joedoe@yahoo.ca or @yahoo.com) on Outlook?

Yes you can use pretty much any email provider such as Outlook/Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail  with your Microsoft Outlook email client.

trojea01
I'm here a lot

Is it a Rogers problem or an Outlook problem?

qsgrampy
I plan to stick around

I think if you check all of the other posts you will find it is only a Rogers problem and nothing to do with Outlook.

stanbec
I'm here a lot

CAN;T BELIEVE IT!!! WORKING! (at least if you don't mind IMAP)

Firstly it is absolutely nuts that this happened, with no communication from rogers, and also no notification about any solutions. If not for reading this today and giving it a shot before spending more time changing my email on various services to something else, I'd have never have known.

The Outlook 365 approach with the Insider change allowed me to re-add the account. I removed them. Then I found out one of my bluemail accounts on my phone had still been sitting and it started working.

Not a fan of IMAP as prefer a single inbox but this is MUCH better. Shame on Rogers for not sending out an update

I've removed my IMAP account several times to no avail.  When I add the account back, it works and synchronizes all the mail for the account.  But once it tries to sync after that, it starts prompting for the password again and fails.  

chdiamo1

The reason it quit working is because you don't have an annual subscription to Outlook. I bought Outlook 2013 and see no need to repurchase it over and over and over every year. So, this probably is easily resolved IF you basically buy Outlook over and over every year. By making the pre Outlook 365 versions unable to work, it forces Rogers customers to rent the 365 version on an annual basis. My cousin in the U.S. uses Cox as his ISP. They don't require a third party password to work with Outlook. I assume Rogers could have made the same arrangement. Something is certainly not right here and no one is fixing the problem, for an obvious reason. Rent Outlook 365 because we made your purchased version useless. This is what Microsoft did did with Skype. They disabled Skype telephones. So, if your Skype phone worked before Microsoft purchased Skype, Microsoft "improved" the functionality of Skype to make every single Skype phone a piece of junk! Now we see what they and Rogers have done to our purchased Outlook programs!! Junk. I should note here that my Windows 10 Mail also needs this third party authentication password that no one can get!! Way to go Rogers and Microsoft!!