cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xi6-T VS XiOne-SC (B) Bluetooth Specs

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

Can someone please tell me the Bluetooth difference between the 2 set top boxes? I have 2 different Bluetooth headphones. Both with BT 5.0 support

Xi6: one headphone set pairs fine (JBL) and receives audio (although with frequent drops and skips) the other earbuds pairs (headphones say 'Connected' and the Xi6 says paired), but no audio is received.

XiOne: Connected with both pairs of headphones and transmits audio no problem.

Tried on 4 different Xi6. Problem persists. Also tried2 different earbuds of the exact same brand. Neither pair work with the Xi6, the one JBL does. 

- Tried with multiple different TV brands connected to the Xi6 - Not a TV settings issue

- Changed all possible settings related to Audio in the Xi6 - Not a set top settings issue

- Changed HDMI cables - Not a bad HDMI issue (HiSpeed. Rogers cables and personal cables)

- Tried on 4 different Xi6 - Not a bad/damaged set top box (unless the firmware requires updating)

- Tried on XiOne/Clee phone/PC and works fine - Not a bad/damaged earbuds

.. It's odd, to me, that the headphones pair, but no audio is sent.. Would like to have BT working with these Xi6. But if compatibility is an issue, I would also like to know the specs so I don't waste money on another pair that won't work..

TIA for any info/help/insights to this issue

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Xi6-T VS XiOne-SC (B) Bluetooth Specs

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bigdee2015  The XiOne set-top box supports Bluetooth 5.0.  I believe that the (Arris) Xi6-A and (Technicolor) Xi6-T STBs only support Bluetooth 4.2.  I do not recall whether or not the Xi6-A and Xi6-T variants share common Bluetooth hardware.

Comcast also does not make any guarantees about Bluetooth compatibility.  If you experience any interoperability issues, they only suggest trying different headphones.  Neither Comcast nor the manufacturers provide any technical information either, at least not publicly, beyond what they submit to the FCC to get their devices certified.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bigdee2015  The XiOne set-top box supports Bluetooth 5.0.  I believe that the (Arris) Xi6-A and (Technicolor) Xi6-T STBs only support Bluetooth 4.2.  I do not recall whether or not the Xi6-A and Xi6-T variants share common Bluetooth hardware.

Comcast also does not make any guarantees about Bluetooth compatibility.  If you experience any interoperability issues, they only suggest trying different headphones.  Neither Comcast nor the manufacturers provide any technical information either, at least not publicly, beyond what they submit to the FCC to get their devices certified.

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

Thanks very much for the reply -G-! I know it's difficult to comment on specific headphone specs and compatibilities since there's just so many flavours out there. But, in my experience, most BT hardware are backwards compatible. I think the headphones that do not work in my case, may not share that standard..

I appreciate you clarifying the BT versions for both set top boxes. I think I'll be in the market for a new pair of ear buds.. I've marked your reply as the solution. 

Take care

@bigdee2015 you didn't indicate if you were running the set top box via wifi or ethernet.  If you are running the set top box via wifi, have a look at the following:

I was looking at the FCC site for any information that might shed some light on this.  Fwiw, here's the link to the FCC database for the Xi6-T:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/VUITX061AEI

Within that database listing is the following pdf Attestation BT and WLAN Declaration:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/VUITX061AEI/3816241

Pegatron Corporation
5F.,NO. 76 LIGONG ST., BEITOU DISTRICT,
TAIPEI CITY 11259, Taiwan

Date: March 27, 2018

Declaration

To whom it may concern,

This is a WLAN/Bluetooth combination antenna with FCC ID: VUITXO6AEI.
This WNAL/Bluetooth co-existence mechanism is to ensure that the WLAN and
Bluetooth transmitters would not simultaneously operate. Therefore, WLAN and
Bluetooth antenna in FCC ID: VUITX06AEI should not be considered to be able to
transmit simultaneously.
Though the users can use WLAN and Bluetooth simultaneously, but the real
situation is that WLAN and Bluetooth are used by time sharing and no overlap
transmission.
Should you have any question, please have my best attention.

Sincerely yours,

So, this is rather interesting that the same antenna is used for Wifi and Bluetooth, with no effort to combine the two broadcasts.  So, thinking aloud here, I can see in a situation where the modem has kicked the set top box down the 2.4 Ghz band as the set box isn't able to use the 5 Ghz band for whatever reason, and, if you're in a typical neighbourhood where the 2.4 Ghz band is oversubscribed, that could lead to circumstances where the Wifi bandwidth is limited, and as a result, the wifi communication with the modem takes precedence over Bluetooth.  The result would be that any Bluetooth connected device, with the ability to store enough data to last thru any data delays might be ok, but for any Bluetooth device that relies on a constant data stream from the set top box, where that might not be available, then the device might run short of data, resulting in audio gaps. 

So, this is all speculative, but, you could see if this is a plausible explanation by disabling the 2.4 Ghz network in the modem, forcing any and all devices onto the 5 Ghz band, which should include the set top boxes, whether they like it or not.   See if any of the Bluetooth headphones or buds work properly with this configuration.  I wouldn't guarantee success, but, its worth experimenting with.  In theory, if the 5 Ghz network supports the set top box as required, it should result in a higher data rate, leaving more time and transmit opportunities for the Bluetooth transmissions. 

The second experiment would require an ethernet connection from the modem to the set top box, even it was a temporary long ethernet cable. If you have one kicking around, connect the set top box, reboot the set top box and ensure that its running via ethernet.  When that's done, check out the Bluetooth performance to see if the connection type make any difference.  In theory, there shouldn't be much wifi traffic between the modem and set top box.  Assuming that's the case, the Bluetooth traffic to the headphones and buds should run as expected as long as you're within range of the set top box.  

Here's the link to the FCC database page for the XiOne:

https://fccid.io/P27-XIONESCM1#Exhibits-1

I suspect that there is more than manufacturer for the XiOne, but, I wasn't able to find it in the FCC database.  Perhaps my search criteria was incorrect.  Anyone who has an XiOne can look at the bottom of it to see who manufactured the box and what the model number happens to be.  

Taking a quick look thru the listings of that page, I didn't come across a similar attestation letter regarding the Wifi and Bluetooth antenna.  Perhaps looking at the internal photos might show which antenna are which.  Again thinking aloud here, there should be two antenna for wifi purposes.  I'm assuming that they would support both 2.4 and 5 Ghz network.  That is a typical configuration for equipment such as this.  So, any other antenna would probably be for Bluetooth purposes.

bigdee2015
I plan to stick around

Thank you a million times for your info.. I know your reply took a good amount of time so I appreciate your hard work and details you've included.

I believe your assumption is 100% correct. I may run an ethernet test, but when I explain some details I'm not sure the testing will be necessary. I have to apologize for not including this info in my OP, but, quite honestly, I wasn't expecting such a detailed explanation..

I have 4x Xi6-T boxes. 1x in my living room and 3x in bedrooms located on my second floor. On my second floor I also have a Gen2 POD (2.4ghz). My XB8 is in my basement. Most devices connect to the POD - even the Xi6-T that is in my living room. I cannot force any device to my XB8 in order to use the 5/6Ghz band due to limitations on the modem backend and using the HomeConnect app..

I will say the HomeConnect app has not worked (infinite setup loop) since the XB8 was installed in my home. 5 call tickets have been created, and all 5 have been closed without resolution - the last being this past Saturday. I keep  contacting Rogers to re-open the call ticket, but no one seems to be able to fix the problem, and I keep requesting the call ticket not be closed until they verify with me that the issue has been resolved. But that never happens.. This has been verified to not be an app issue nor an issue with the device used for setup. The last tech that was here late last ween tried on his phone and had the same results. I have tested everything including removing the app, clearing cache|data, logging into MyRogers app (works no problem) logging out of MyRogers, Using PC for first setup then app, factory restoring modem many times.. Nothing works and Rogers can't seem to fix it. Without the App I am extremely limited with my network setup and cannot use functions that I require to setup my home network the way I want it.. 

I do believe that when you look at the modem backend, (Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi) the list of SSID's are in order 2.4|5|6Ghz and I setup a MAC filtering (allow|deny) list for each device via MAC address. I would try that again with the Xi6-T to see if that helps any, I believe disabling the 2.4 band will disable the POD? **EDIT** just realized the Gen2 POD will work on 5ghz band.. I have disabled the 2.4 using the modem backend and will test BT functionality*** But may be worth testing just to see. But again, without the HC app working, I can't 'remove' any devices from connecting to the POD. I could unplug the POD and test - but it wouldn't matter since  plugging the POD back in will make the Xi6 connect to it. So, although it would work for testing, I still won't be able to use it the way I want to without leaving the POD unplugged. It would be really nice if users were able to change the SSID for each band. 

Specs of the XiOne-SC (B) device that I had and was working - just for info and may assist with search criteria. Model: SCXI11BEI IC: 5604A-XIONESC2 CAN ICES-003(B)/NMB-003(B)

As someone who has tested many pieces of hardware and software over the past 35+ years, It's difficult to do so when I can't revert to a 'clean' state each time due to the Home Connect app not working. It's my understanding that the POD shouldn't even be working without the app, since it needs to be registered through it. But it works fine. I have a PC connected to it via ethernet and devices seem to be utilizing the 2.4 band. This causes a bigger issue when attempting to test because I cannot guarantee things are functioning as designed.

Again, I appreciate your help, time and knowledge!

***Edit #2** Tested with the 2.4g band turned off at the modem end. One pair of earbuds work now - the other pair does not. This is an earbud device issue and will not expect Rogers to assist  with this. You've pointed me in the right direction, once again! Now if only Rogers can get my HomeConnect app working I'll be all set..

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation