cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soundbar HDMI ARC pass through has choppy audio and no video

Jables324
I've been around

I have an LG TV and LG soundbar. The soundbar has Dolby so I want to be able to hook up my Ignite box to the HDMI IN on the Soundbar and pass it through to the TV w. HDMI ARC.

I have it set, but I get choppy audio and no picture. The screen is blank so it has a source (normally with no source there is a screen saver) and I can hear some audio but it cuts out every few seconds.

My set up...
LG TV
LG Soundbar
Ignite TV box INTO HDMI IN on soundbar
XBOX X into HDMI IN 2 on soundbar
LG Soundbar HDMI ARC OUT, Into HDMI ARC on LG TV.

The XBOX works fine. Audio and picture show up no problem.

Thought it might be the HDMI port on the Soundbar so I switched the Ignite that doesn't work to the port where the Xbox worked....same result.

Also thought it was the cable so I used the same HDMI cable that works on the XBOX. No luck.

I disconnected the XBOX altogether and still no luck on either HDMI IN port on the Soundbar.

TV, Xbox, cables, both HDMI IN ports on the Soundbar ALL work.

My only guess is the Ignite box, but can't figure out how to fix it.

I have it set to Audio Expert Mode and no luck.

Is there a Video setting I need, or is the box defective?

*Added Labels*

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Soundbar HDMI ARC pass through has choppy audio and no video

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Just as an experiment have you tried setting the video output to say 1080P and the audio output to "Stereo"?

2. As a experiment, connect the box directly to the TV and try various audio and video settings, working your way up to the "highest" settings to see if there are any issues that way.

3. Sound bars are really not very sensitive to the type of audio fed to them, so the "stereo" output option of the box may actually be the best option since the bar should use Dolby Pro Logic II or similar to provide surround sound. It's not like you have an AVR with 6 discrete speakers.

Re: Soundbar HDMI ARC pass through has choppy audio and no video

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jables324 wrote:

I have an LG TV and LG soundbar. The soundbar has Dolby so I want to be able to hook up my Ignite box to the HDMI IN on the Soundbar and pass it through to the TV w. HDMI ARC.

I have it set, but I get choppy audio and no picture. The screen is blank so it has a source (normally with no source there is a screen saver) and I can hear some audio but it cuts out every few seconds.

My set up...
I have it set to Audio Expert Mode and no luck.

I suspect that this is what is causing your problems.  If you look at the explanatory text for HDMI Audio Output: Expert Mode, it says, The best available Dolby sound will be passed through to your audio system.  Not compatible with voice guidance and some audio systems.

First make sure that things are working when HDMI Audio Output is set to "Auto Detect" and HDMI Video Output Resolution is set to "Best Available".  Only then should you experiment with setting HDMI Audio to Expert Mode.  You don't need to use Expert Mode unless you are connecting to a device that is capable of processing advanced audio formats, such as Dolby Atmos.

Just to confirm that the set-top box is not defective, try power-cycling the box while it is directly connected to the TV.  When it boots up, you should a 480p "Welcome" splash screen.  You should then also get a good HDMI handshake with the TV, which will then also allow you to access the set-top box's Settings.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation