cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to a Location where there is no rogers service - Use of ignite

Peterberry
I've been here awhile

Hi,

We are moving to a location where Rogers does not offer any service....

We do however have internet, and have been watching ignite from the internet, 

The Internet is provided by a third party, not rogers.

My Question is this.

Can I keep my rogers ignite tv (access through the internet) product without subscribing to a rogers internet service?

thanks

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Moving to a Location where there is no rogers service - Use of ignite

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peterberry wrote:

So the only solution is to use a friends account.... and not pay Rogers any $$$ for using ignite?

Seems something is missing here.... Lost Revenue for Rogers????

It's not quite that simple.  In Canada, pretty much every IPTV service provider is required to deliver their TV service over their own Internet service, and this is because certain content providers require that their channels be delivered over a closed private network.  There are some streaming TV services, such as River TV and Stack TV, that don't have any such restrictions.  However, those services are also missing many notable, popular channels; they can't even rebroadcast over-the-air channels that can be viewed for free with an antenna.

Even services such as Ignite TV has restrictions when using their service outside of your own home or over a third-party ISP.

What general area are you moving to and who is your ISP?  How do you connect to the Internet?  You may have other legal IPTV services that you can subscribe to but you can only get Ignite TV when you also subscribe to Ignite Internet.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
Simple answer...no. you must have rogers internet to subscribe to ignite tv.
Sorry

Peterberry
I've been here awhile

So the only solution is to use a friends account.... and not pay Rogers any $$$ for using ignite?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Peterberry wrote:

It's not quite that simple.  In Canada, pretty much every IPTV service provider is required to deliver their TV service over their own Internet service, and this is because certain content providers require that their channels be delivered over a closed private network.  There are some streaming TV services, such as River TV and Stack TV, that don't have any such restrictions.  However, those services are also missing many notable, popular channels; they can't even rebroadcast over-the-air channels that can be viewed for free with an antenna.

Even services such as Ignite TV has restrictions when using their service outside of your own home or over a third-party ISP.

What general area are you moving to and who is your ISP?  How do you connect to the Internet?  You may have other legal IPTV services that you can subscribe to but you can only get Ignite TV when you also subscribe to Ignite Internet.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

"So the only solution is to use a friends account.."

So are you talking ignite TV on a set top box or ignite TV app?

I had both internet+ignite from Rogers and internet+Fibe from Bell. In the same time. And Ignite TV box can connect to any WiFi and any internet provider. I was able to connect Rogers Ignite TV box to Bell Router (via user settings WiFi +password) and stream ignite TV with no problem. Just Rogers want to oversell and Ignite TV is only available in bundle (plus internet).

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

You say you connected ignite TV box to Bell wifi, but did the ignite TV actually work?

Yep. It worked with no problem. Ignite TV box is just an IPTV with Roger proprietary software and user-friendly interface. It says somewhere in terms of use that has an open source software on. But should work with any internet provider as long you have an active ignite TV Roger account and you have the login credentials to an WiFi. Basically should work in a hotel room, cottage it is mobile IPTV plug and play.
With Bell internet I had a different IP than Roger internet. So the TV box is not linked to a location or IP.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just because it "worked" the one time you tried it, does NOT mean it will continue to work for ever that way.

Rogers did build IPTV different than Bell where the TV traffic is combined with the internet browsing lan traffic.  Rogers could very well put some geofencing technologies in place that stop it from working

bell the iptv NEEDS to work on the bell network but it uses a separate network vlan separate from your internet traffic, hence why bell can offer a zero rated internet with TV. I do not believe rogers has the technology to offer such service due to technical limitation right now of the technology they chose

It worked very well for over a month until I cancelled my Roger service, because Roger doesn't wanna sell IPTV other than bundle. 

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation