cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Legacy to Ignite TV

ablatt
I plan to stick around

I have some questions about Ignite TV, moving form a Legacy setup.

I'm assuming the XI6-A and XI6-T are the newest TV boxes for Ignite TV, and the XB7/XB8 is the latest modem.

Can the XB7/XB8 be put into bridge mode with all WiFi disabled?  Or is there a hidden WiFi that works all the time?

If using the Ignite TV boxes via Ethernet, do they need to authenticate to the Rogers XB7/XB8 via WiFi in any way or can they operate strictly on Ethernet with the XB7/XB8 in bridge mode?

Can the Ignite TV boxes be set up to use my own WiFi Access Point that is connected to the Rogers network with my own SSID's?  Any downside?

Thanks in advance.

**Labels Added**

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Migrating from Legacy to Ignite TV

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ablatt  I think that most of your questions have been asked and answered here: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Need-Guidance-Re-Switch-to-Ignite-with-Router-in-Brid...

Re: Migrating from Legacy to Ignite TV

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ablatt wrote:

I have some questions about Ignite TV, moving form a Legacy setup.

I'm assuming the XI6-A and XI6-T are the newest TV boxes for Ignite TV, and the XB7/XB8 is the latest modem.

The XiOne is the latest set-top box to be released.  It has updated electronics internally but most people would be hard-pressed to tell any difference between it and the Xi6.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Xi6-T-versus-XiOne-box/m-p/508405

Rogers has the XB6, XB7 and XB8 in circulation.  See here to see which one you qualify for.  The XB8 tends to be in short supply and is often only available to multi-gig XGS-PON FTTH customers.  If you only have DOCSIS (cable) Internet available in your area and plan to run in Bridge Mode, there is no advantage to getting the XB8 over the XB7.

Can the XB7/XB8 be put into bridge mode with all WiFi disabled?  Or is there a hidden WiFi that works all the time?

If using the Ignite TV boxes via Ethernet, do they need to authenticate to the Rogers XB7/XB8 via WiFi in any way or can they operate strictly on Ethernet with the XB7/XB8 in bridge mode?

Can the Ignite TV boxes be set up to use my own WiFi Access Point that is connected to the Rogers network with my own SSID's?  Any downside?

I think you will find all the answers you are looking for here and here, and searching the forum.

I can't stress enough that running Ignite TV over your own network gear with your Ignite Gateway in Bridge Mode should work fine, if configured. correctly, but it is NOT supported by Rogers.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation