cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubles with Call-waiting and other

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

After about 6 weeks of trouble-free service, Rogers home phone has developed two issues, starting on Sunday 27th.

1.  When a call is in progress, and another call comes in ..."call waiting" ... we "flash" to pick up the other call.  It immediately goes to "rapid busy" and the party is not heard.  "flash" again to get back to the original party, and THAT goes rapid busy as well, dropping the original call.

2.  In the course of a normal conversation, the other party will cease to hear us.  We can still hear them fine, but they don't hear us and eventually give up.  A reconnection can be made, and the conversation continued, and it may or may not happen again.

Both issues seem to have started at approximately the same time (Sunday 27th).  Not EVERY call goes bad like this, but it has been episodic in these last 3 days.

Anybody got ideas?

***EDITED LABELS***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Troubles with Call-waiting and other

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The telephony support on the Technicolor XB6 has always been a bit glitchy and Rogers seems to be limited in their ability to support Ignite Home Phone.  I noticed fewer voice-related issues with the Arris XB6.

I don't have enough "activity" on my home phone to notice any of the issues that you pointed out.  I still have unresolved issues with the Voicemail Waiting Indicator not working properly, which is another problem that is either specific to the Technicolor XB6 or is caused by problems/limitations/interoperability issues with Rogers Home Phone systems that Rogers uses, configures and maintains.

The only thing that I can suggest is that when you notice any specific problem, to note down the exact date/time of when it happened and to notify Rogers support.

Comcast does not publish ANY technical documentation about the XB6's internal workings, capabilities or its provisioning options, so that nullifies our abilities to have an informed technical discussion with support.  (VERY frustrating for someone who started working with VoIP/IP telephony professionally 20+ years ago and who knows how frustrating it can be to integrate components from multiple vendors.)

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@-G- wrote:

The telephony support on the Technicolor XB6 has always been a bit glitchy and Rogers seems to be limited in their ability to support Ignite Home Phone.  I noticed fewer voice-related issues with the Arris XB6.

Is one of those "newer"?   I do have the Technicolor.  

I haven't had any problem with readability or that kind of stuff, except for this recent occasional one-way comm.

@-G- wrote:

I still have unresolved issues with the Voicemail Waiting Indicator not working properly, which is another problem that is either specific to the Technicolor XB6 or is caused by problems/limitations/interoperability issues with Rogers Home Phone systems that Rogers uses, configures and maintains.

I think I saw an earlier post of yours about the voicemail issue, and was concerned about it.

But mine set up perfectly, and the VM indicator, stutter dialtone, and flashing light, all come up as expected.   Been getting to see that a lot recently.... what with all the dropped call-waitings 🙂  

There are only two vm settings on the Panasonic: 

VM Tone Detect: on

and the "access number" storage: *98, plus one P for a pause, plus the password.

On the Rogers settings, I have 

Outcall notification: OFF

Message waiting notification: ON

The panisonic has a "access VM" button under the menu, which sends out the access number and password as stored above.

And strangely it all seems to work.  Again, this is the Technicolor.

I normally pick up with the panasonic's local recorder after 4 rings, but the Rogers VM will pick up ignored Call-waiters after 6.  With the problems the last couple of days, this system has been getting a bit of a workout and has worked fine.

An outstanding problem I have is that my online phone management does not work.  Accessing "voicemail online" gives the "online-voicemail is currently unavailable" ALWAYS.... and trying to access phone "features" online... such as setting voicemail rings... always gives the "404 page not found".  

I have a ticket in about that for a couple of weeks now, still waiting.

@ColdGranite wrote:

@-G- wrote:

Is one of those "newer"?   I do have the Technicolor.  

I haven't had any problem with readability or that kind of stuff, except for this recent occasional one-way comm.

It's not about being newer.  Comcast likes to be able to source hardware from multiple vendors.  The Arris and Technicolor XB6's were codeveloped at the same time but are based on totally different hardware and software internally, and that can result in subtle (and some not so subtle) differences between the implementations, with each having their own strengths, weaknesses and quirks.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation