cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite home phone

KR110
I've been around

I am having many issues with the landline home phone. Many times you can't hear the caller on the other end o they can't hear you. Rogers has supported but the issue does not go completely. My question is, is it possible to use a DSL Filter? Would this filter help?

Thank U

*Added Labels*

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Ignite home phone

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KR110 no, you can't use a DSL filter.  The two technologies are absolutely different. I'm assuming here that you're running one of the newer ignite modems, XB6, XB7 or XB8.  If you have the legacy Arris telephone modem, then the following paragraph still applies, but, you won't have a downstream OFDM channel or upstream OFDMA channel.  You would still be running the traditional Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) channels. 

If you have a situation where the caller can't hear you, then you have an upstream signal issue.  If you can't hear the caller, then you have a downstream issue.  Its possible that you have both issues on the go due to an external cable or connector problem.  The field techs have to look at both Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex (OFDM) downstream frequencies, and the Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access (OFDMA) upstream frequencies to see what the problem is.   That means getting out of their van and actually using the appropriate test equipment to check both frequency bands, not sitting in their van and looking at the information which the modem supplies, and which the first line techs have access to.  Fwiw, assuming that you have an XB6, 7 or 8 modem, the downstream channel table will show you where the downstream OFDM channels start.  The upstream table will show if there is an upstream OFDMA channel running. If you don't have an upstream OFMDA channel running, then you definitely have a low frequency signal issue.  

Re: Ignite home phone

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KR110 I have not noticed any problems with my Ignite Home Phone service but I also don't use it frequently.

How often does this problem actually happen for you?  Constantly?  Most calls?  Some calls?  Does it happen more frequently  with long distance/overseas callers?  Does it happen when calling on the Rogers network, e.g. when calling to check voicemail?

Have you tried doing 5 successive test calls to friends/family?  If some of those calls are fine, others not, it's probably not signal-related.

It might also be a problem with your cordless phone system, if you have one.  It could also be a problem with your modem.  It might also be a problem with Rogers' infrastructure in the back-end.

It's hard to assist you further without more information, but a DSL filter won't fix this.  Actually, you need to make sure that the connection between your telephone and the modem is direct and clean.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation