cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting home phone on two floors

Nemuritai
I've been here awhile

Bell Canada is discontinuing their legacy copper phone system in my area to be replaced with Fibre.

I already have Rogers Ignite Internet so Roger's might be the easiest path forward. However I need 2 phones on separate floors to be connected and I'm not sure the current home phone wiring will work on a modem system.

Will it work, and in case it doesn't what is the best alternative to connect two phones on different floors to one plan via Rogers? Is there a wifi or wireless solution?

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting home phone on two floors

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nemuritai : I hope the following comments are helpful.

1. Lots of people have this working.  You place the Rogers Gateway near where you have an existing telephone jack/outlet. You feed the phone signal from the Gateway to that jack via a normal phone cable and this should automatically "backfeed" all of the other telephone jacks in your home if your home is wired like most.  You should then be able to connect your other corded phones elsewhere in the home to the existing phone jacks / wiring already in place.

2. The only time this will not work properly is if you have an alarm system that you want connected to the phone system - typically at the demarcation point in your home wiring. In that case it becomes more complex and usually requires a professional to wire everything correctly so that the alarm system "grabs" the phone line regardless.

3. The other very simple option is to purchase a cordless telephone system with however many handsets you need for various areas of the home. These come with 2 to 5 or more handsets depending. You plug the base station's phone line into the gateway and all of the handsets work cordlessly.  I suggest a good system like Panasonic.  Make sure it has all the features you want like call display, name display, call blocking, a directory that will hold the phone numbers of all your contacts, etc.  Inexpensive systems can be problematical for various reasons.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Nemuritai : I hope the following comments are helpful.

1. Lots of people have this working.  You place the Rogers Gateway near where you have an existing telephone jack/outlet. You feed the phone signal from the Gateway to that jack via a normal phone cable and this should automatically "backfeed" all of the other telephone jacks in your home if your home is wired like most.  You should then be able to connect your other corded phones elsewhere in the home to the existing phone jacks / wiring already in place.

2. The only time this will not work properly is if you have an alarm system that you want connected to the phone system - typically at the demarcation point in your home wiring. In that case it becomes more complex and usually requires a professional to wire everything correctly so that the alarm system "grabs" the phone line regardless.

3. The other very simple option is to purchase a cordless telephone system with however many handsets you need for various areas of the home. These come with 2 to 5 or more handsets depending. You plug the base station's phone line into the gateway and all of the handsets work cordlessly.  I suggest a good system like Panasonic.  Make sure it has all the features you want like call display, name display, call blocking, a directory that will hold the phone numbers of all your contacts, etc.  Inexpensive systems can be problematical for various reasons.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To properly answer this question, we need to ask you some questions first.

Does your existing Bell copper phone service work on multiple floors of your house already? if the answer is Yes, then you can wipe away any sweat from your forehead, as your house appears to have the proper inside wiring for home telephone service, it should not matter who your provider is at this point.

Do you have a "monitored" alarm system, not just an alarm, specifically a monitored alarm that is monitored thru your phone lines? if the answer is NO, then wipe away any remaining sweat as you just struck the jackpot.

By the way, just because Bell has discontinued to deliver phone service over copper, does not necessarily mean you have to discontinue using them if you are happy with the service you are getting from them, however if you are unhappy and or looking to bundle all your services with one provider, then sure, cancel them and sign up for the rogers ignite home phone service since you already have the ignite internet. you already have the equipment in your house to provide the phone service they just have to turn it on at the back end.

Also I want to give you a little more techy information on the home phone service how it works, most homes have inside wiring which has phone jacks daisy chained to one another.  The home phone wiring in the house s part of the home and does not belong to the phone company. the phone company simply "connects" to it to provide dial tone,  that's it in a nut shell

Nemuritai
I've been here awhile
Thank you! One more question, my Rogers Ignite Internet modem doesn't have a phone jack, will I likely need a new modem?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To answer your question, Yes you will get a new modem. The old internet modems were still called ignite even  though they were not compatible with the ignite iptv system.  you will get a new ignite modem which has phone support  built in

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation