Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

malcolmd
I Plan to Stick Around

Your post alerted me to check channel 100 - I get the same - "undefined" and loading (which eventually times out). The same happens on 300 (Shomi).

FWIW I just went online and requested a box reset. We only have one recording and it's no big deal to lose it. If that doesn't work I'll ask for a tehnician to come in and replace the unit.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@malcolmd wrote:

FWIW I just went online and requested a box reset. We only have one recording and it's no big deal to lose it. If that doesn't work I'll ask for a tehnician to come in and replace the unit.

The online request simply sends a "rehit" (reauthorization) to your STB. It will not cure anything mentioned here.  Same if you phone in and "press 1" for a rehit".  You could try a regular reboot for most issues.

For the issue of blank settings, reported by some people, you'll need to call Rogers and ask them to perform a "Factory Reset" on your STB.  I believe only some, not all 8642s (NB2) are affected.  Note that a Factory Reset will delete all recordings  and restore factory settings on the 8642.

Elsewhere someone posted the following to do a Factory Reset by yourself (no guarantees, as I have not tested this myself - I have a 9865).

"With the 8642HD powered ON, press (and continue to hold) both the POWER & SELECT buttons simultaneously.
Unplug the unit while continuing to hold the POWER & SELECT buttons.
Wait 3-5 seconds, then replug the unit.
After 2-3 seconds with the power reapplied, release the POWER & SELECT buttons.
Unit should now go through the firmware update attempt.
Note that a factory reset will delete all of your recordings."

If someone does the above factory reset and it works, please post here that it did cure your "Settings blank page".  Thanks.

@malcolmd wrote:

Your post alerted me to check channel 100 - I get the same - "undefined" and loading (which eventually times out). The same happens on 300 (Shomi).

@57 maybe you could chime in on your thoughts about it...

The RoD and Shomi showing undefined.. is  most likely SIGNAL related.

The settings not showing... SHOULDNT be signal related?
Unless it was maybe BAD/Not complete downloads, due to poor signal?

Gerim
I Plan to Stick Around

To those who have been talking about On Demand access. I had the initial navigatr download last July.  I have been without any On Demand access since the second week of November. Lots of conversations later the last information I was given was a fix would happen "hopefully" in February. So far nothing. Have sent another note to a contact in the "Office of the President" for whatever that's worth. So far no response. Still a wait and see. Have rebooted, reformatted and exchanged boxes. Had techs out to check signals and connections and all that resolved nothing. The last senior tech I spoke to acknowledged this as a software problem. 

Good luck to us all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, some on-demand issues are related to signal problems.  If you have signal issues, often you'll need to call Rogers to get that fixed in your home or in your neighbourhood.   Usually, but not always, people with signal issues also can't get SDV channels or the firmware won't download properly. This can usually be checked by Rogers remotely.

However, some on-demand issues are not related to signal, but rather to Rogers On-Demand problems. See my previous post on that topic below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I haven't had access to OD since November either and I know that my signal is good.

malcolmd
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @57 I also have a 9865 so I'll call tech support for a factory reset..

Note in reply to a related post re channels 100 and 300 - they were OK before the "upgrade", and I have also had a signal check for another problem (pre-Navigatr) and it was OK. Not necessarily the case now, of course.

I live in Ottawa and Rogers downloaded the new Navigatr 2 weeks ago. It is horrible. Why would they give it to us if there were still so many problems with it? I have some complaints that are not in your list.. Who can I contact? I tried Rogers last week and left my phone number and they never called back.

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Doing a master reboot now. Hold power button and unplug. Wait 5 seconds plug back in while still holding power buton in. Wait 5 seconds and release power button. Bunch of stuff comes up saying this box needs to be updated when the network is available.

When I do this for the Nextbox 3, I don't lose my settings or recorded stuff.

Deschjo
I've Been Around

How do you delete a series that is no longer needing to be recorded and has no upcoming shows?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Deschjo wrote:

How do you delete a series that is no longer needing to be recorded and has no upcoming shows?

That sort of tile is usually at the bottom of your recorded list - scroll down to it, click on the tile - scroll to the right where you see "Cancel All Scheduled Recordings".  Select that option and confirm.

Note that you cannot do it from your "Scheduled Recordings" if you use that filter. You can't do it from AnyPlace or the Rogers App either.

Check out my previous summaries and tips if you haven't already:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Ok this is a serious question (as opposed to a rant per se - I have already done that part).

I have to wonder why Rogers is so invested in this new guide. Whether or not it "looks" more modern is arguably a matter of taste as opposed to functionality, but I am trying hard to see what true "enhancements" or advantages this new Navigatr brings that the old guide did not have. It does seem to me that it still does most of the things we used to be able to do, albeit not necessarily any easier, faster or more intuitively. In fact, as the list of complaints grows and grows, it is clear that many of the functions are actually HARDER to achieve rather than easier, and some, like the "set reminder" have been rendered all but useless. Makes me wonder WHY is Rogers so wed to this?

And the real question for the experts - is there in fact ANYTHING that the new Navigatr has function-wise that is actually a NEW feature, or a truly ENHANCED feature? I can't think of any/see any but I want to be fair and ask the community since maybe there are some true improvements I am not seeing?

how do I record a "series" using Navigatr?

you used to hit select on the show you just selected record on and an option to "record series" would come up. how do I record an entire series now? and why is it so slow?????

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

not sure if this is a bug, or a feature to "enhance my viewing experience" Smiley Tongue

I was just checking my scheduled recordings - that's ALL I wanted to see, so I used the filter - once I checked to make sure my list of scheduled recordings was as it should be, I exited.  Then I decided to check once more, hit the list button, and it had reverted back to the shows that were already recorded, despite me having saved the filter to show scheduled recordings just minute earlier

Is that what it's supposed to do?  Only save the filter to show scheduled recordings up until you exit, then revert it back to the already recorded shows?

Also - all my tiles have the little picture except for 1 - NCIS - does anyone have the graphic, or is it just me that doesn't?

Don_T
I Plan to Stick Around

TV Mix Feature

How do I select what channels display under the various "Mix Feature" items?  Can I create custom lists?

@headhoncho wrote:

not sure if this is a bug, or a feature to "enhance my viewing experience" Smiley Tongue

I was just checking my scheduled recordings - that's ALL I wanted to see, so I used the filter - once I checked to make sure my list of scheduled recordings was as it should be, I exited.  Then I decided to check once more, hit the list button, and it had reverted back to the shows that were already recorded, despite me having saved the filter to show scheduled recordings just minute earlier

Is that what it's supposed to do?  Only save the filter to show scheduled recordings up until you exit, then revert it back to the already recorded shows?

Also - all my tiles have the little picture except for 1 - NCIS - does anyone have the graphic, or is it just me that doesn't?

the SAVE is more of a 'save it for this session', at least from what i have seen.

And i dont have one for NCIS either.

@squibby1 wrote:

you used to hit select on the show you just selected record on and an option to "record series" would come up. how do I record an entire series now? and why is it so slow?????

When you are in the guide, if you hit select on the show, it should take you to the INFO sort of page for it.
Where there is the description, etc for it.
On the right hand side, there should be Record Series

If you hit the RECORD button, i think it just sets it as a manual recording.

Don_T
I Plan to Stick Around

When you hit "Menu" there is an option for "Recorded" tv shows.  To see what is scheduled you have to sort/filter, choose scheduled, then save.    Too many steps unless I'm missing an easy way to do it.  Is there a better way to see what is schedlued?

Instead of including "Guide" in the Menu (Guide has it's own separate button on the remote), why didn't they include recorded and scheduled recordings in the Menu list?

Having the program pictures is a waste of space.  Was better when it was linear showing date, time, and program list.  

When you select one of the program pictures for "scheduled", nothing happens when you hit the "Info" button on the remote.  Info should show basic information as to what channel and time it will record.

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016 Re: TV Mix Feature

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @Don_T, the "TV Mix" channels are configured by Rogers and CANNOT be edited or changed.

If you haven't already, try downloading the Rogers Home Edition app for your iPad / iPhone / Android device - you can use it to search for programs in the guide (much faster/better than Navigatr guide on cable box) and view live channels directly on your device.

Don_T
I Plan to Stick Around

TV Mix - Kids =>  I don't have children in the household.  No use to me

TV Mix - News (grayed out) - "not subscribed" ?????? - OK is highlighted but pressing OK on the remote doesn't do anything.  Hitting exit takes me completely out of the Menu

TV Mix - Sports (grayed out) - "not subscribed" ?????? - OK is highlighted but pressing OK on the remote doesn't do anything.  Hitting exit takes me completely out of the Menu

Rogers Grid

Sorry....this "feature" is useless.  At the very least there should be a customizable list, or a "TV Mix" of channels I most often view.  

molly222
I Plan to Stick Around

Re:  NCIS picture tile...yes I have one...I have since the beginning of phase 2 (Jan. 12).  However, I have noticed that other tiles have pictures for days (sometimes weeks) then disappear.  As of yesterday all 56 tiles were showing the correct picture on the correct tile except for 22 minutes...which I know has a picture on file because "more like this" shows me a picture of that show (just to aggravate me I think).  After a famous Rogers download last night, I am now back to where I was a week ago with no picture for OJ Simpson trial, Good Wife, Real housewives...all had pictures yesterday.  Also, my "The Muppets" tile is now back to showing me a picture of "the Middle"...which it did for the 3 weeks previous.

Rogers moderators...can you please pass this info onto whomever needs to fix this...we know the pictures are there because we've seen them before...makes me dizzy going back and forth every few days...I would think this is a pretty small thing to fix since it was all fixed yesterday...or maybe just getting it right for one night is all I should expect from you now!