Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

I am hoping the IPTV wont be a 100% hard cut.. that you have to get completely different boxes, etc.

The NB3, and the 4k boxes, are fully IPTV compatable.
(technically, i think the NB2 might have been as well.. but its WAY too underpowered).

You and me both. I have two 8300's and two DTA-50's.  If IPTV obsoletes these I'm not spending another cent new on Rogers hardware and cutting the cord.

For those complaining about Navigatr,  I do not have any evidence that anything anyone has complained about so far has been fixed with Navigatr. Today I heard geese flying south, so it must be the end of summer. I think it is finally time for me to uncheck the box "Email me when someone replies" as we don't seem to be getting anywhere with our suggestions or complaints here. 

Maybe we should all just go to the lounge where we can talk about this malaise created by Rogers and how or when to leave.  It was set up on 22 July 2014 and there is only one post so far. 

The Lounge

"Welcome to the Community Lounge!

The Lounge is a place to kick back, relax and chat with your fellow community users.  Wanna talk about the Blue Jays?  Cool!  How about music, movies, sports?  Check!  Essentially, the Lounge is a place for friendly and casual discussion that is considered off-topic in the rest of the community. "

We can chat about anything off-topic.  

park
I'm an Advisor

What a wonderful idea, sending us off to a section that has one post and not been used since 2014.

NOT !

Actually Rogers has fixed some of  problems with Navi though I suspect this forum was only one of the many inputs. 

As I see it there are 2 core problems.  

The fundamental design of Navi is flawed.  Tiles and a single list are just bad ideas. 

The other problem is the hardware. NB2s are grossly underpowered and NB3s get lost every so often and have to be rebooted to restore sanity.

park
I'm an Advisor

Dibs on the 8300s !  NO TILES  !!!

@OLDYELLR wrote:

--------. I have two 8300's and two DTA-50's.  If IPTV obsoletes these I'm not spending another cent new on Rogers hardware and cutting the cord.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

I am hoping the IPTV wont be a 100% hard cut.. that you have to get completely different boxes, etc.

The NB3, and the 4k boxes, are fully IPTV compatable.
(technically, i think the NB2 might have been as well.. but its WAY too underpowered).

You and me both. I have two 8300's and two DTA-50's.  If IPTV obsoletes these I'm not spending another cent new on Rogers hardware and cutting the cord.

Start shopping for antennas.

While the NB2 and 3 series are hybrid QAM/IP boxes (both have integrated DOCSIS modems), the 8300 is a pure QAM box.

Unless there's gonna be some kind of box between the wall and the 8300, the 8300 isn't gonna work with IPTV.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, it certainly is interesting discussion over what can and can't run IPTV - only time will tell, since we wouldn't even know that they are developing and have tested and demonstrated the new IPTV box in house and people that have seen it have been impressed.  Only way we know about these things is by reading the quarterly financial reports notes, or by having a member with shares speak up at the AGM and ask questions.

None of this comes as a surprise, since the long term stated goal was to put out an IPTV box.

What those like ourselves who have posted to this thread the most are more than aware of is that Rogers has been aiming in that direction for quite a while - yet, we are now 9 years since the major competitor put out their pilot, and for the last number of years, they have completely rolled it out and continued to expand the territory and improve the product. And all the while, some are just moving to Internet services and changing lifestyle choices around tv viewing.

We also theorize that the experiment to keep the legacy boxes in place as they move to a full IPTV box, using Espial's RDK framework turned out to be the best case study of how not to do things.  Due to clearly poor implementation and testing, the framework got rolled out without RDK in place back last July and we heard through financial reports by Espial that it most likely will never roll out. Things have changed since, with the 4K box coming out, but no PVR (not surprising when they can't get the existing PVR's to run in a stable or predictable manner, with an interface that requires hours and hours and tons of videos and FAQ's to barely understand as there is no consistency or logic in the box)

This post is not intended to criticize, it is actually just a bit of venting, as we now are at the end of summer, with no indication of the promised changes that would make the use of our current boxes more rationalle.

I was wandering through Shomi today, and did a search and found two search tile listings of My Robot, with lists of the episodes in no logical order having to wander through both of them to find the first show of the first season. Just an example of just how useless the search tools on the box are - forgot that it would have likely been easier through the Anyplace App.  It still remains a bit insane that we have to work back and forth through differing interfaces between Shomi, On Demand (I chose the alternate listing methods to go back to old text lists rather than poster art that takes for ever to scroll from one episode to the next).  This is the type of listing of our recording shows that we have consitently said we want to have a choice of using, and we were even told it was coming, but not surprisingly to me, the proposed targets have not been met on most of that list from the spring.

And the other thing with it now being fall, is that we have lots of shows that my family wants to record and watch, and we are now up to 9 rows of tiles to work through, and some with series, and some individual recordings, as we deal with the reality that shows move around due to the presidential debates next week that has cancelled some shows and moved some around. And we are going through another steep learning curve to learn to reuse the functionality, although I will agree, it at least is just relearning now, not trying to find and communicate workarounds.

So I now go through the exercise of remembering how to work with this convoluted mess, with the impression, that although we were told changes were coming, I no longer have any confidence that it is coming any time in the new future, and that we may see a final revised product, working well just before the IPTV model comes into play.

But who knows, we the users of this forum are left to do our own research, ask questions now and then, and nothing against the resident experts and others who support us here, you know no more than we do and I understand that, and even the ones who represent Rogers directly generally have no information and occassionally vent. Fortunately, there are those pinned video tutorials and FAQ's availble. I don't remember the link where we learned about all the plans - it would be nice to have that pinned too, but I can find it if I wish.

We are told often that Rogers staff monitor the issues and do hear us and they are working with them, I even heard that from the presidents's office last week that they monitor all social media, but as I pointed out, you listen, but we rarely hear anything of any substance and pointed out that if high quality customer service is the goal, that this model leads to misconfusion, frustration for all, both the support and CSR staff, and even the president's staff, and most importantly the customer.

For now, I will go through the learning process - I am setting my series up as new shows, anytime, any channel, and I will clean up the duplicates later as I go along, or catch it through on demand, or online when they get missed. and working with the Anyplace app to help me along.

Over one year and I and others, still have no idea just where Rogers is taking us when it comes to Cable.  My contract has a little over a year left, and many changes are occurring as the CRTC imposed rules around bundles, and choice are implemented, so I will just enjoy my shows as best as I can, do my best to not get frustrated by it all, and just accept that this is what we are stuck with for now, so I will use all the workarounds, that we have all developed over time.

I have had 3 reboots since starting to use the PVR again on a frequent basis, so I will also return to rebooting my box on a regular basis, say once per week, just like the old PC DOS days.

But as I said, I just felt like having a vent that so little has changed since last spring when we were told that so many of our issues would be dealt with this summer - Well the days are getting shorter, the temperatures are dropping, and as said, the geese are getting ready to head south, and for now, I as with others, will continue to wonder just what will come to us next and try to enjoy our viewing as much as possible in spite of the poor designs and issues.  

Thanks for listening all - no responses really needed since we really have no additional information.

Life goes on, and it is just TV - time to complete my piloting of online viewing of TV and movies, and using a digital antenna to see just what I can achieve.  Spent a few days with my daughter in the US this summer - they have a small TV package with their unlimited Internet, which they actually only watch via the Internet along with their other three movie and TV viewing packages, and on demand from the Cable/Internet company, a digital antenna, and they even have those red boxes in the stores and other similiar services, which they rent a movie for 1.99, ordered online, pick it up on the way home from work, and return it the next day on the way back to work.  A total very impressive and cost effective model of pick and pay, and choice, along with ability to watch their desired shows anywhere they go in the U.S.

May we get there here sooner or later.

Have a good night, Bruce

Johnrc123
I Plan to Stick Around

BS: Thanks for the great post, Bruce. You may just be venting but many of us appreciate your encapsulating key issues.  It's been more than a year for some of the people here.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Call it constructive criticism - I believe that it should always be given and respectful recipients generally accept it, comment on it and provide point by point responses as to what they plan to do or not do.

That is all I ask for, a little respect - I do pay the bills after all. And I too am one of the more than a year "beta testers", of a product that has never been well aplha tested, nor focussed group reviewed by real life users - Rogers has never admitted this, but in my professional opinion and anlysis, as with others who do have the creditionals and skills to comment on what we see with valid concerns, I remain convince that his produce was rushed, poorly designed, poorly tested, and no direct feedback on what has happened or directions has ever really been give.

Thanks Bruce

Bruce

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

I thought I had read somewhere that rogers was cutting the cord with Espial (I assume because of the botched navigatr) and that Espial would not be involved with the roll-out of IPTV. I wonder if this has anything to do with navigatr fixes being delayed. From what I read, many of the fixes were promised for early to mid summer, and guess what - autumn has now arrived. 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dugi wrote:

I thought I had read somewhere that rogers was cutting the cord with Espial (I assume because of the botched navigatr) and that Espial would not be involved with the roll-out of IPTV. I wonder if this has anything to do with navigatr fixes being delayed. From what I read, many of the fixes were promised for early to mid summer, and guess what - autumn has now arrived. 

There is lots of romours out there about Espial and their relationship with Rogers - nobody was even admitting who the top tier cable provider in North America was and on the first rollout - ANT was still listed as the company providing the navigation side of the box, but on the rollout in December/January, we finally see the Espial name showing up in the software listings.  In various articles, as best as I can recall, business reports on Espial indicated that there was disappointment that the top tier NA cable provider (still unmentioned) was not going to go with the implementation of RDK as the middleware between the guide and the PVR, but that they would still be involved in the rollout of the 4K box.

Back in MESSAGE 51 OF 308 of the thread Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR, member @Lurker referenced the following,

"

Here's the link, and I have a bit of a different read on it...

http://www.cantechletter.com/2015/10/espials-long-term-prospects-remain-excellent-despite-setback-sa...

If you read the analysis of the announcement, its that Rogers (maybe) isn't deploying their NEXT gen software.  They'll still be using their previous gen s/w and using Espials 4k middleware, if I read the analysis correctly."

So who really knows anymore who the players are - probably a 4k box owner can say whether the software found under troubleshooting still includes Espial, and or Technicolour/Cisco, or Cisco Vantage, but I digress.

It has been a long journey of mishaps as Rogers has tried to work with Espial, Cisco, then Cisco sells out to Technicolour for settop boxes, and yet we now sit on Cisco (Vantage) software build 6.1..., which is not part of the standard Cisco line earliest documented version with Cisco I could find was in the version 4 series - We started this ride back on the version 3, which was being deprecated by Cisco before they sold out, so my guess, only a guess is that this version 6 is unique to Rogers and they may be using Technicolour for the work, or doing it themselves. The industry is a shifting as Rogers tries to figure out just how to meet our customer needs.

And to top it off, their big competitor in the TV side of things with IPTV has announced in September http://www.digitaltvnews.net/?p=27904 that the company is going to provide their a new fully wireless hub/modem for their 4k television solution, as well as http://www.digitaltvnews.net/?p=27972 that purchasers of their Optic Fiber TV solution will no longer be required to sign up for for their Fiber Internet service to access their TV solutions.  Planned for Q1 of 2017.

Rogers recently announced to shareholders in recent quarterly reports that they are aiming for IPTV solution by the end of this year.

Maybe they need to stop worrying about keeping up with the competitor on this one and nail down its own solution with solid customer service and reliability.  Or do they move to plan C or plan D. Plan A reached a few of us in July last year, Plan B is what this thread is about, Plan C is whatever it is they plan to do to deal with the current outstanding issues, or maybe Plan D, a completely different direction, and now with the competitor plans, will we see a plan E, and let's not forget where 4K is taking this dog's breakfast.

Oh well, for now, I give up, just struggle with what I have and have been refreshing myself along with my wife on the workarounds from the pinned FAQ's that show us how to get around and use the box as is.

As I have said, I think I will just wait it out until my contract runs out next year and who knows what the offerings will be by then.

But one last question to Rogers (not the forum people), but Rogers itself - given the announcement of things to come mid summer - are they ever coming, or are you off in another direction - all I ask for is some upfront honesty to you paying customers.

Bruce

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor
Thanks for the additional info Bruce. It all sounds very confusing and one has to wonder if rogers really knows what they are doing. Sad!

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dugi  I sometimes wonder if they know what they are doing, but they seem to have backed themselves into a corner and not moved fast enough or in well researched way in attempting to keep their existing boxes running on QAM, and preparing them to move to IPTV and/or 4K.  While they struggle to build a well working model, the competition just plugs along and certainly seems to moving rapidly ahead with investments and improvements in the technology, while aiming for a 50% increase in consumers of their TV product lines.

But Rogers seems to have lots of money and too many of us "loyal" customers - yes I am guilty too, who put up with it and hang on, and they get away with these obvious blunders.  And then the practice is to say nothing, and hope they can fix what they choose to fix on their own schedules (except for things like the power saving feature - which was there to catch up with everyone else because they were already there - total failure on that one, and the CC changes - again, pressure from CRTC related to accessability, and the adaptations to support visual accuity problems.  So if it isn't something that could lead to government intervention, it seems that we wait on a lot of it while they figure out what they are doing.

The mess that technology can create for its users when providers don't move fast enough with the changes and make solid choices on providers and programmers.

I think we have beat this one to death again, but unless we hear something from Rogers directly, which they remain silent on any rollout of changes, we remain in the dark, so I think I will back away from any more discussion unless I hear other things that come along.  I will monitor what people say, but this horse was dead a long time ago.

Bruce

DrMike

@BS wrote:

I think we have beat this one to death again, but unless we hear something from Rogers directly, which they remain silent on any rollout of changes, we remain in the dark, so I think I will back away from any more discussion unless I hear other things that come along.  I will monitor what people say, but this horse was dead a long time ago.

Bruce

I think this is spot on. I was a very vociferous and disgruntled poster here for a long time, even tried to get the consumer press involved etc but sooner or later we all started backing away because of the "banging your head against a wall" syndrome, not because of any semblance of renewed satisfaction.

My sole concern is that now that the volume of angry messages from very unsatisfied customers is meandering to a trickle of what it was, that Rogers wins in the war of attrition. They can now accurately say that there is not much discontent shown on the message boards and use that as their *excuse* for continuing to do nothing. 

But I suspect that most, like me, have either just given up, or have moved over to a competitor.

You win Rogers. But its a Pyrrhic victory in that, in "winning", you have lost what little good reputation you had left, and hopefully lost a lot of good quality customers thanks to your disrespect and your arrogance and your stonewalling of your own customer base. 

Selgie
I'm Here A Lot

Or, perhaps take to social media.

Selgie
I'm Here A Lot
I have been at this since it first went live myself. It's very frustrating! I feel like we are being pacified with this thread and then have no updates.

DrMike

@Selgie wrote:

Or, perhaps take to social media.

Oh I have done that, believe me....  😞  Rogers treats us with impunity even as we (truthfully and appropriately) besmirch its reputation

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike wrote:

@BS wrote:

Bruce

I think this is spot on. I was a very vociferous and disgruntled poster here for a long time, even tried to get the consumer press involved etc but sooner or later we all started backing away because of the "banging your head against a wall" syndrome, not because of any semblance of renewed satisfaction.

My sole concern is that now that the volume of angry messages from very unsatisfied customers is meandering to a trickle of what it was, that Rogers wins in the war of attrition. They can now accurately say that there is not much discontent shown on the message boards and use that as their *excuse* for continuing to do nothing. 

But I suspect that most, like me, have either just given up, or have moved over to a competitor.

You win Rogers. But its a Pyrrhic victory in that, in "winning", you have lost what little good reputation you had left, and hopefully lost a lot of good quality customers thanks to your disrespect and your arrogance and your stonewalling of your own customer base. 

@DrMike That describes my own experience - I posted contantly, contacted president's office, social media, even went traditional media, but nothing really changed.  Thousands of comments on the multiple threads on this topic, and where are we now - we know little more about what is going on now than before, we hear about IPTV - that was announced a few years ago, but they can't get it to work seemlessly, 4K, no PVR, Gb Internet announcement to rollout to all the footprint to support 4K and PVR as we all buy these - how many people bought 4k last Christmas - not me, and if I did, it wouldn't have been from Rogers - they beat the competitor by a couple of weeks, but have been outpaced in every level, and pricing is very similiar and the usual playing around with contracts, installation charges, cancellation fees, bundling - anyting to get us into every service possible - call it forced loyality. While it appears that the technilogical model in place with the competitors is very solid, many more things coming down the pipe (call that the FTTH pipe), and Rogers is not even ready to support it yet - so I believe we don't hear anything, because I believe Rogers has dropped the baton and is stumpling to catch up - they will eventually, but as a very long term customer, I have to seriously start thinking about where do I go next - my contract holds me back for the  moment, but I am wiling to eat the cancellation fees if necessary to ensure I get a quality product - yes, I pefer the customer service from Rogers, but maybe it is time to give the other players a chance, since they seem to be winning on the IPTV, mix of OTT, plus traditional TV choices, wel designed setbox and wireless connections and so forth.

We will see, 

Bruce

User14

@BS wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@BS wrote:

Bruce

@DrMike That describes my own experience - I posted contantly, contacted president's office, social media, even went traditional media, but nothing really changed.  Thousands of comments on the multiple threads on this topic, and where are we now - we know little more about what is going on now than before, we hear about IPTV - that was announced a few years ago, but they can't get it to work seemlessly, 4K, no PVR, Gb Internet announcement to rollout to all the footprint to support 4K and PVR as we all buy these - how many people bought 4k last Christmas - not me, and if I did, it wouldn't have been from Rogers - they beat the competitor by a couple of weeks, but have been outpaced in every level, and pricing is very similiar and the usual playing around with contracts, installation charges, cancellation fees, bundling - anyting to get us into every service possible - call it forced loyality. While it appears that the technilogical model in place with the competitors is very solid, many more things coming down the pipe (call that the FTTH pipe), and Rogers is not even ready to support it yet - so I believe we don't hear anything, because I believe Rogers has dropped the baton and is stumpling to catch up - they will eventually, but as a very long term customer, I have to seriously start thinking about where do I go next - my contract holds me back for the  moment, but I am wiling to eat the cancellation fees if necessary to ensure I get a quality product - yes, I pefer the customer service from Rogers, but maybe it is time to give the other players a chance, since they seem to be winning on the IPTV, mix of OTT, plus traditional TV choices, wel designed setbox and wireless connections and so forth.

We will see, 

Bruce

I agree with nearly all the comments being made, but I am still not sure what the average consumer can do about the Rogers "services" malaise. I feel that we are "talking to a wall" with Rogers. Now that Shomi is going to be abandoned by Rogers and Shaw in November what does it mean to the growing number of people watching TV programs and movies online?  I thought this product was in response to Netflix and other web streaming services. What went wrong? Is another business model to deliver internet services on the horizon? I had suggested continuing this discussion in "the lounge" as there are a lot of people wondering how to transition away from Rogers. I guess we are continuing this in the Navigatr thread. 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14 If someone wants to start up a discussion about ideas of moving to the Lounge to discuss the future of Internet and TV, and away from this thread.  I guess we get stuck here because we, like you have been here for so long - I agree, that all of our writing and communication has done little to help change this whole situation and the wall just got stronger with us throwing the bricks to build the wall stronger.

I agree, that it would be beneficial to move the ongoing discussion - and with Shomi, some stuff I have seen from relatvies in Toronto on Bell's moves in the market, the transitioning to full GB to the home in whatever form it is going to be in apartments and when it will come to homes - both companies talk that they are agressively expanding or bringing Gb to the full footprint, so who will be the winner of that race.

If someone wants to start something up in the Lounge, I am happy to move there - my only problem is I don't even know how to get to the lounge, or use it. So if we move over, I will definitely join in with what I know.  New things seem to be coming out every day - via quarterly reports, news announcements, industry reports, and things like Shomi going down.

Bruce

User14

@BS wrote:

@User14 If someone wants to start up a discussion about ideas of moving to the Lounge to discuss the future of Internet and TV, and away from this thread.  I guess we get stuck here because we, like you have been here for so long - I agree, that all of our writing and communication has done little to help change this whole situation and the wall just got stronger with us throwing the bricks to build the wall stronger.

I agree, that it would be beneficial to move the ongoing discussion - and with Shomi, some stuff I have seen from relatvies in Toronto on Bell's moves in the market, the transitioning to full GB to the home in whatever form it is going to be in apartments and when it will come to homes - both companies talk that they are agressively expanding or bringing Gb to the full footprint, so who will be the winner of that race.

If someone wants to start something up in the Lounge, I am happy to move there - my only problem is I don't even know how to get to the lounge, or use it. So if we move over, I will definitely join in with what I know.  New things seem to be coming out every day - via quarterly reports, news announcements, industry reports, and things like Shomi going down.

Bruce

@BS.  Key advisors and REs like yourself, GdKitty, Oldyellar and others have already posted to the lounge area.@BS.  Key advisors and REs like yourself, GdKitty, Oldyellar and others have already posted to the lounge area.

I believe you started this thread in The Lounge at the beginning of the 2016 year.

" Re: What new tech are you waiting for this year?  [ New ]

I only have a request or an interest for a couple of things - I so want to see the common platform that Microsoft has brought out, but currently is struggling because of poor uptake of the phone side of things - one device for all would be great."

Besides not getting anywhere pointing out the Navigatr flaws here, I also find that my posts get edited for various reasons and therefore what I say can be taken out of context especially when entire sentences or links are deleted.  The Lounge is supposed to be for off topic issues.

I did open one thread called "Big Telcos" in the Lounge to ask people for advice on where we can go to get better services or the same service for less cost.  As previously mentioned on this thread, we seem to be stuck in a hole with Rogers and there does not appear to be any intelligent plan to get us out. Rogers doesn't tell us anything as the Shomi announcement demonstrates. I know I would like to hear your views on the future as the business model in selling Phone, Movie and TV services on the internet seems to be changing. 

Here's the link to the The Lounge  area.  Cheers.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor
Thanks for the link - I will begin to think about using the lounge area - had completely forgotten about it - maybe it is time to actually close this thread, and a "new navigatr" thread can be opened whenever the next replacement, major upgrade comes. I think we have all worked this one to death, in particular the "black hole" effect that exists on may topics, not just this one. And that one is a topic of its own - communication to customer and high quality, honest and fair customer service and relations. Thanks for the suggestions, By the way, that topic wasn't mine, I just responded to it. I did post once on there, long time back. This brings an end to my discussions on Navigtr -unless I find something never reported or learn of something new along the way that noone has mentioned. Thanks for the input @User14

BeyondIrate
I've Been Around

I was on the phone today with Rogers arguing about a new deal as the one I had expired and I flat out asked where the big end of summer update was that was promised for all the people who were infested with Navigatr. She looked into it and actually told me that Rogers sent out a memo to all employees today that the new update will start rolling out on Oct. 3rd and is supposed to be comepleted by the end of November. She listed a bunch of things that were supposed to be fixed and a lot of them were things that people have complained about here. Including the tile problems.

I have no idea if what she told me was true but she mentioned a lot of fixes that I don't think were just brought up at the top of her head. She even gave the update number but I didn't pay much attention to any of it because I was too irked with the new deal she was trying to give me.

If the update for Oct. 3rd is true then perhaps someone from Rogers could come on here and let everyone know what exactly is being updated and exactly when. It really is the very, very least you could do after months of silence.

Thanks a bunch.