Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

2,250 REPLIES 2,250

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I'm glad my reality is different than yours.But this same problem occurred about 2 weeks ago and they apparently downloaded a patch to my box.So they say.

Regardless it isn't just me having problems is it?After 171 pages I don't think so.And if having to reboot my box on a regular basis is their idea of good software then I guess we disagree on wht is acceptable.I deal with business telephone systems.If I told a customer every 2 weeks they need to reboot just to make things run right guess where I'd be?Unemployed. Defend Rogers all you want the real truth is they are stii in beta test mode,The duifference now is all the customers are taking part with them.

rgottinger
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@yyz64 wrote:

Well I'm glad my reality is different than yours.But this same problem occurred about 2 weeks ago and they apparently downloaded a patch to my box.So they say.

Regardless it isn't just me having problems is it?After 171 pages I don't think so.And if having to reboot my box on a regular basis is their idea of good software then I guess we disagree on wht is acceptable.I deal with business telephone systems.If I told a customer every 2 weeks they need to reboot just to make things run right guess where I'd be?Unemployed. Defend Rogers all you want the real truth is they are stii in beta test mode,The duifference now is all the customers are taking part with them.

No defense of Rogers whatsoever. And design and testing (?) leaves a lot to be desired however your reality sounds more like the box you have can't cope with the software or it is defective. I have spent my entire working life in software development and much of what has happened with Navigatr is code written for the more powerful boxes without regard for older equipment as well as design without proper user input. That said, if you are rebooting frequently you should be worried about the hardware you have which, I suspect, you purchased.

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

Well then a reboot of the hardware would NOT fix a hardware problem.But it does fix alot of software problems doesn't it? Clears and releases the memory which is probably where the problem is.Its a rented box (9865) but I'm not about to exchange it for another box when this is a software problem. It is the most powerful box they have.And when freshly rebooted it works fine.Again not the point if I have to do regular reboots then it's not acceptable,.If the software is written that bad that they need regular reboots then they should incorporate that into a nightly or weekly maintenance routine .Like lots of phone and voicemail systems do.

rgottinger

@yyz64 wrote:

Well then a reboot of the hardware would NOT fix a hardware problem.But it does fix alot of software problems doesn't it? Clears and releases the memory which is probably where the problem is.Its a rented box (9865) but I'm not about to exchange it for another box when this is a software problem. It is the most powerful box they have.And when freshly rebooted it works fine.Again not the point if I have to do regular reboots then it's not acceptable,.If the software is written that bad that they need regular reboots then they should incorporate that into a nightly or weekly maintenance routine .Like lots of phone and voicemail systems do.

Depends on the hardware issue and how the code is accessing the hardware . As for the box, I have a 9865HD and i am not having any of the problems you describe nor have i rebooted since Navigatr arrived 6 weeks ago so explain how it is a software problem. After all, its the same software and the same box isn't it so I should have exactly the same issues that you are having?

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around
You're assuming you have the same hardware and software versions as me.I'm also not the only person on this forum to have this problem.Others also posted the same symptoms.

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

Besides,I can tell you alot of product updates that I see from the manufacturer I deal with it's not a software feature that causes a problem.More likely the culprit is feature interaction where the problem only occurs if you are doing "A"  and then trying to do "B" at the same time. It's easy to make a feature work, but that can cause problems when other features are active at the same time that testing doesn't catch. Alot of people say the 8642 NB2 was terrible on Navigator.Now I only use my 8642 as a digital box and don't use it PVR at all but it seems fine to me,no complaints.

Plenty of reports of this exact same remote slowwww  response on the "other forum".Appear to also all have the 9865. Sorry to much of  coincidence for me to think that's a hardware problem.

rgottinger

@yyz64 wrote:

Besides,I can tell you alot of product updates that I see from the manufacturer I deal with it's not a software feature that causes a problem.More likely the culprit is feature interaction where the problem only occurs if you are doing "A"  and then trying to do "B" at the same time. It's easy to make a feature work, but that can cause problems when other features are active at the same time that testing doesn't catch. Alot of people say the 8642 NB2 was terrible on Navigator.Now I only use my 8642 as a digital box and don't use it PVR at all but it seems fine to me,no complaints.

Plenty of reports of this exact same remote slowwww  response on the "other forum".Appear to also all have the 9865. Sorry to much of  coincidence for me to think that's a hardware problem.

@yyz64 wrote:

And yet none of what you are experiencing has ever happened to me. How is that possible? Feature interaction as you call it still boils down to bad coding and that is the hallmark of the Navigatr experience and that is what you get when you contract out.

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

Because feature interaction won't affect everyone.Unless they do the exact same sequence of events.

How can it affect me and others but not you ?Easy read above. Or like I mentioned before different software versions/ hardware versions. A reboot cannot repair hardware.

Look here and you'll see I'm not alone ,others have the eaxct same problem

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/243074-new-rogers-navigatr-firm...

rgottinger

@yyz64 wrote:

Because feature interaction won't affect everyone.Unless they do the exact same sequence of events.

How can it affect me and others but not you ?Easy read above. Or like I mentioned before different software versions/ hardware versions. A reboot cannot repair hardware.

Look here and you'll see I'm not alone ,others have the eaxct same problem

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/243074-new-rogers-navigatr-firm...

Interesting that signal strength is mentioned there. I had that dealt with a year or so ago and it included all the coax cable being replaced.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

Interesting that signal strength is mentioned there. I had that dealt with a year or so ago and it included all the coax cable being replaced.

And what was the signal strength like after that? Apparently the Nextbox requires a much better signal than the older boxes. What do you get presently?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

You don't actually think that signal strength could affect the fact that I cannot enter channel changes because the remote response is so slow.Or use the guide or watch a recorded show.

And again a reboot is not going to affect your signal strength.You'll also notice in the thread some people are speculating that there might be a memory leakage issue.But that would just point back to where? Oh yeah software.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @yyz64,

@yyz64 wrote:

You don't actually think that signal strength could affect the fact that I cannot enter channel changes because the remote response is so slow.Or use the guide or watch a recorded show.

And again a reboot is not going to affect your signal strength.You'll also notice in the thread some people are speculating that there might be a memory leakage issue.But that would just point back to where? Oh yeah software.

Just my 2 cents - low signal strength will definitely cause slow response and drag the performance of the box down. I am not sure if this is because the tuner has to work harder to receive and process the signal, but it does cause slowdowns. I have seen this on my NextBox 2 and 3. 

You are correct - rebooting will not fix a signal strength issue - only a technician can do this. 

Barb53
I've Been Around

In this new guide when a reminder is set it waits for you to chose whether or not you want to go to the channel.  In the old system it automatically tuned the channel in.  Is there a way in the settings to set it up to automatically tune in?  If not, will this issue be addressed and possibly changed as this was, to me, one of the best features of the box.

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@yyz64 wrote:

FWIW, I have also experienced the same issues. Everything works fine (well to the extent you can call the Navigatr "fine" ...) for about 2 weeks then gradually everything starts to slow down, just as described. A reboot fixes it immediately. Sure seems like either a memory leak or similar to me.....

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

I did have signal level issues a couple of monthsd ago pre Navigator where only my 3 Next Boxes would lose a bunch of channels.I had a tech out who determined it was a bad tap feeding my neighbuorhood.That was when Rogers kept saying it was my issue in the house but I talked to a few neighbours who were experiencing the exact problem.One complained and at least 2 I know of didn't ever call in about it.Haven't had that issue back since the Rogers subcontractor escalated the problem and Rogers would actually sent out a tech to fix it the next day.Sad really that young kid should be working for Rogers he ws good and took the time to actually own the problem,

So at this point I'm pretty sure I don't have  signal issue again.

DrMike

@Barb53 wrote:

In this new guide when a reminder is set it waits for you to chose whether or not you want to go to the channel.  In the old system it automatically tuned the channel in.  Is there a way in the settings to set it up to automatically tune in?  If not, will this issue be addressed and possibly changed as this was, to me, one of the best features of the box.

Many of us have commented on this new "feature" which, for me, renders the whole reminder thing utterly useless. So far no one has found a workaround other than 1) being in the room to manually switch (in which case why have a reminder feature) or 2) record instead of remind (in which case why have a reminder feature).

Whether or not this will be fixed is anyone's guess, but considering the sorry state of affairs of Rogers' communications to us, or the level of respect they show us by not giving us a product that actually works, I would not hold my breath....

DrMike

@yyz64 wrote:

I did have signal level issues a couple of monthsd ago pre Navigator where only my 3 Next Boxes would lose a bunch of channels.I had a tech out who determined it was a bad tap feeding my neighbuorhood.That was when Rogers kept saying it was my issue in the house but I talked to a few neighbours who were experiencing the exact problem.One complained and at least 2 I know of didn't ever call in about it.Haven't had that issue back since the Rogers subcontractor escalated the problem and Rogers would actually sent out a tech to fix it the next day.Sad really that young kid should be working for Rogers he ws good and took the time to actually own the problem,

So at this point I'm pretty sure I don't have  signal issue again.

As I said, I have the same slowdown issues, and when it happens, I check the signal strength and it is always within acceptable (i.e. normal) parameters. In any case, it would be hard to imagine what could cause the signal strength to wane over a two week period and then miraculously be OK again as soon as the box is rebooted....

rgottinger

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

And what was the signal strength like after that? Apparently the Nextbox requires a much better signal than the older boxes. What do you get presently?

It made a huge difference in clarity of picture and responsiveness and this was long before Navigatr. The cables were 20 years old

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with you.I am pretty sure it's a software issue but it's hard to convince some people

rgottinger

@robindp wrote:

Hello @yyz64,

@yyz64 wrote:

Just my 2 cents - low signal strength will definitely cause slow response and drag the performance of the box down. I am not sure if this is because the tuner has to work harder to receive and process the signal, but it does cause slowdowns. I have seen this on my NextBox 2 and 3. 

You are correct - rebooting will not fix a signal strength issue - only a technician can do this. 

I agree with you but yyz64 has his mind made up that its software

rgottinger

@robindp wrote:

Hello @yyz64,

@yyz64 wrote:

And that was my point but someone has made his mind up and that is that