cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two sim card with same number

momars09
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,
New in Canada, having rogers mobile service.

I have two phones and I want to use one number on both. Do Rogers provides Multiple Sim for one number.

Experts your answers will be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Two sim card with same number

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @momars09

Welcome to Canada and the forums!!

Unfortunately Rogers and all Canadian carriers do not do that. You would need to have 2 wireless numbers and 2 accounts sadly

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @momars09

Welcome to Canada and the forums!!

Unfortunately Rogers and all Canadian carriers do not do that. You would need to have 2 wireless numbers and 2 accounts sadly

Hey @momars09
@Meowmix is right, you can have 1 account and two numbers. (I know what he meant, just clarifying it for you).

but do you mean like a proxy sim card?
You can add 2 sim cards in one account and one number. but only 1 sim card can be active at a time for the same number. Just not simultaneously.

Cheers

IF the two phones use different type of sims...

One thing you could try, is getting the newer multi size sim.

where it pops out down to the size you want. Could try fitting the micro back into one size up, and fit in sort of thing.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Gdkitty

The OP isn't asking about that. The OP is asking if there is a way that they can have a sim card activated under one line to use 2 phones at once.

momars09
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi every one,

Thank you very much for the quick and prompt reply.

Let me make it bit clearer.
I work for Microsoft, I am not suppose to use Samsung, I phone etc, only Microsoft Lumia.

So, I was wondering If rogers provide two sim for the same account and number, off-course wont keep both active at same time, will use one at a time.
For eg. when I m at job I can just turn off or dial a code to activate the line on microsoft Lumia and when off  activate other phone. One phone at  a time.

Possible?

Oh your right.. i missed that. Sorry.

I dont think i have ever seen that really active before ever.. other than the case of maybe illegal cloning of cards, etc.

Would be kind of hard, as it wouldnt really know where to route a call to, etc as its in two locations, etc.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Gdkitty

That is true. In the UK it is possible but in Canada it's not. Rogers doesn't have those systems in order to do it

@momars09
So technically what you are asking is what I stated earlier.
You can have 2 sim card in same line (same number) and only have 1 active...
if you want to switch, there isn't a code I am aware of but you can use MyRogers online profile to swap sim. Not the easiest way you may be use to, but it is possible without calling in everytime.
(Which you can also do; call in everytime - but if you are doing this on a daily basis. Loggin into Rogers.com sign in to MyRogers go to change your sim card in your profile and enter the same sim card already on account it will activate it.)

This is one way of doing it.
Hope this helps @momars09

You can also just set your Lumia to forward everything. Calls and Text to another number (which will be your non-microsoft
phone).

Though, I would say, you better not be cheating on Microsoft and using iPhone or Android 😛 haha joking.

jonmep
I've Been Around

This would be a really useful/intelligent service for Rogers to implement given the ubiquity of smart phones, which are getting bigger and more expensive every year. At this stage it is risky sticking one of these in your pocket or bag if you are going mountain biking, skiing, trail running, etc.. But at the same time you always want to carry a phone so you can call for help or arrange to meet people on the hill. I have a cheap flip phone for this but swapping the SIM all the time isn't feasible as it will get damaged or lost. It is definitely techincally possible - they had this service over a deacade ago in Europe - so the limitation is caused by something else. 

@ShakTib wrote:
@momars09
So technically what you are asking is what I stated earlier.
You can have 2 sim card in same line (same number) and only have 1 active...
if you want to switch, there isn't a code I am aware of but you can use MyRogers online profile to swap sim. Not the easiest way you may be use to, but it is possible without calling in everytime.
(Which you can also do; call in everytime - but if you are doing this on a daily basis. Loggin into Rogers.com sign in to MyRogers go to change your sim card in your profile and enter the same sim card already on account it will activate it.)

This is one way of doing it.
Hope this helps @momars09

You can also just set your Lumia to forward everything. Calls and Text to another number (which will be your non-microsoft
phone).

Though, I would say, you better not be cheating on Microsoft and using iPhone or Android 😛 haha joking.

@ShakTiburon
Hi Shaktib,

Where can I go to have a proxy sim with 2 sims under the same number but activating once at a time only?

I've gone to the local rogers stores here and they claim this is not possible.

Please advise.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats just it.. its really activating/de-activating.

You would be activating A, and de-activating B... then back to the other.

Both would not be live at once.

And sometimes you can not go back to a card which was already activated.

I am intersted in 2 sims with the same number, but only activating one at a time via My Rogers.

I am ok with that, but just want to know how to set this up and tell the people in the stores in a way they can understand since they dont know of this proxy simming business.

Hey @gfdgdf

It really isn't a proxy sim.

You are going to have 2 Sim cards and activate only one? But want both sim to be on the same phone number?

you can activate as many SIM cards as you want on 1 number, but only ONE can be active (and working) at the any given time.

Everytime you want to change the sim card, you have to call in customer service OR go online and update sim on your phone number.

What exactly is the purpose of 2 sims? Different devices or Different numbers?

Edit: sorry didn't read the last message.

Same number.

myRogers will be the Rogers.com ... NOT myRogers app.

@ShakTiburon

the purpose is switching from android to iphone and vice versa. and they both take different sizes of sim, so I can't even pop it in and out.

How long does it take to activate and deactivate, would i be stuck in limbo, or have one that cant be activated?

How reliable is this?

Thanks!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If thats it.. One option may be to go and get one of the NEWER sims?

Most of the new sims, are all multi type.. they do full, mini, micro.. you just pop the outer part off.

You possibly could just put it back and forth.. putting the micro into the outer part and then into the android, etc.

@Gdkitty makes a good point. Which brings me to my next point:

If that's all you are really doing this for @gfdgdf

Then you might as well get a SIM ADAPTOR.

Those things are like $5 bucks at a flea market.

Or $1.40 on ebay and other online stores. You just have to wait slow delivery of EMS lol

SimAdaptors.jpg

This is MUCH simpler as the SIM card will be the same that is active through out both.

So you get a NANO (for iPhone) and get a Micro adapter for your android. Problem solved without any constant SIM swap. 🙂 😄 😮

@ShakTiburon@Gdkitty

thanks guys.

Did shaktib said I can doing this without swapping sims? But i thought you still need to swap the sim from one phone to another with the sim adaptor.

Also have you guys seen this ?

http://www.androidcentral.com/warning-using-sim-adapter-incorrectly-brings-down-world-hate

sounds like it is not worth the trouble and better to have 2 sims with the same number but alternate the activation.

Unless one is willing to risk a 700-800 dollar phone with a sim adaptor....

Hello ello (jello?) @gfdgdf

Sim Adaptor is a good option.

However moving the sim card from one phone to the other is the alternative way from the original Idea.

First Option:

Have Two Sim Cards. 1 Nano and 1 Micro.

Both Sim are added to the same phone number. (Last one added becomes the "ACTIVE" sim.

When you want to use the other phone, call in and request to "Activate" the Sim card number. The Customer service agent will just activate it. (Since it's already on file). You'll just need to confirm the SIM number to make sure correct one is activated.

Alternatively you can do it yourself on myRogers on www.rogers.com > myRogers > Sign in > Select your number > Change my Sim.

Second Option:

Have One Sim card. 1 Nano. 1 Micro Sim Adaptor.

VERY carefully (and attentively) know which way the adaptor sits on the sim tray with the nano sim inside, and physically swap it over.

Either way, EVERYTIME you want to switch phones, one of these two options will be done.

The safer way, is the virtual option and physically have two sim cards.

The more practical way is to have one sim cards and swap it with an adaptor.

Personally speaking, you are asking for trouble for having two phones. Why is two phones required? Work and Personal phone? or just preference?

Either option you choose, it will be a sacrifice of either convenience (doing it physically without accessing myRogers/Customer service) or  Safe / Risk free (by doing it virtually without risking physical damage in case of accident.)

If you know which way the sim card goes and you don't rush it, you can do it the physical route (option 2).

If you are uncomfortable and the video (a lot of them on the net of phones being mis-handled) scares you; you can do it virtually (option 1).

The choice is yours, but your requirement for 2 phones and 2 different sm card size makes it very hard to give you further alternative options.

I am not willing to have two phones, but if I MUST have two phones, I would choose models based on same sim card to avoid adaptors and the hassle of activating sim cards alternatively.

"Cheap adaptors" are not an issue, as long as they aren't made of thin plastic (that melt in slight heat or bend when popping in or out the sim tray). Those are rare, but negative reviews will flood the Internet faster than positive ones. It's a common trait anywhere.

Hope this helps and clarifies your further questions and concerns. o(^__^)b

Edit: Spelling errors corrected

@ShakTiburon

So I went to Rogers again and they said deactivating and activating the same SIM card is no longer possible as of Jan 25. They said you cant reactivated a SIM that was already activated before.

Also he mentioned there is no option or no way you can change it on myRogers.

help!

Well whoever you spoke with is wrong. There were changes made to activating new SIM cards as of 01/25/2016, yes. But you can always reactivate a SIM card under the same number it was activated on originally. There is also still the option of completing it via MyRogers.

I would suggest you go to that store and speak with the manager because his employees are giving out incorrect information.

Topic Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 9 in conversation