cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

I currently have Digital VIP cable (I was grandfathered), CRAVE, Hollywood Suite, all the time shifting channels and Internet 150u with mesh network.  I am paying $150 per month.  My contract ends very soon and despite my best efforts, I can't get anywhere near that price for a new contract and would have to shift to the Premier package as they won't allow me to continue with VIP.  Rogers is offering me free installation for ignite and 1g internet for about the same price I would be paying if I stayed with Digital cable.  My question:  given the troubles that so many are having with Ignite, should I make the switch?

*** Added Labels *** 

279 REPLIES 279

Re: Should I Make the Switch to Ignite TV?

Ignite TV and Large Projection Screens in home Theatre

If you are considering switching to Ignite and have a large screen (i.e. 100" +) with an HD projector in a real home theatre, you will likely not be happy with video quality.  With cable, I was getting crystal clear displays on all HD channels and excellent depth of colour.  Blacks are now washed out, leaves looks fuzzy.  The output was very similar to Blu-Ray DVD quality.  This has all but disappeared.  I also have a 62" projection TV and the video quality lacks here as well.

While the Ignite signal (I have 150 GB speed) is fine (no dropouts) or digital blocking, it is clearly not in the same league as digital cable.  I have a high end HD projector, that equals any move theatre I have been to.  There are no adjustments that can be made to the boxes.  Rogers will come down and go the settings and make sure that the highest HD mode is selected, something anyone can do.

I knew there was a chance this might happen and I am sorry I decided to switch.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hp9999 wrote:

Ignite TV and Large Projection Screens in home Theatre

If you are considering switching to Ignite and have a large screen (i.e. 100" +) with an HD projector in a real home theatre, you will likely not be happy with video quality.  With cable, I was getting crystal clear displays on all HD channels and excellent depth of colour.  Blacks are now washed out, leaves looks fuzzy.  The output was very similar to Blu-Ray DVD quality.  This has all but disappeared.  I also have a 62" projection TV and the video quality lacks here as well.

My general opinion about Ignite TV's picture quality is that it is better than Digital TV in some ways, not as good in other ways.  I always found Digital TV to be overly compressed.  It often looked good but wasn't always really that good.  I dunno.  Perceptions can be subjective so the things that bother me may not bother you, and vice versa.

With Ignite TV and IPTV in general, the IPTV encoders in the back-end can have trouble processing some source content, particularly when it is interlaced.  An IPTV stream is inherently progressive so interlaced content cannot simply be passed through.  (At the highest quality, we're talking about generating a 1080p stream at 60fps from a 1080i source.)  The fuzziness that you mentioned with leaves occurs partially because their motion is random, not linear.  When a complex scene pans, there can be annoyingly visible judder.  Rolling credits can also look absolutely horrible sometimes.  However, if you over-process when generating interpolated frames, you can get the dreaded "soap opera" effect.  Deinterlacing properly is also VERY compute-intensive.

I try not to let this bother me too much.  The Ignite TV picture normally doesn't look too bad.  We're also not subject to the same constraints as DTV when it comes to bit rates, and the encoders and codecs keep getting better, so I'm still hoping that we will eventually be able to get to the point where Ignite TV surpasses the quality of Digital TV in every way.

hp9999
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply,

My comments about leaves was geared toward natural scenes with very little motion.   On my system, I have not found motion to be an issue nor do I see blurring.

On my old system, especially on close-ups of animal or people's faces were quite outstanding.  The lack of depth is my biggest peeve with Ignite.

Are the encoders up-gradable via a FW downloaded by Rogers? or does the hardware need to be physically changed?

Ignite looks fine on my 42" plasma set, quite similar to DTV because of the small screen size.  With Ignite, screen size matters especially for a home theatre applications.  There must be other users who have experienced what I have written about.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hp9999 wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

My comments about leaves was geared toward natural scenes with very little motion.   On my system, I have not found motion to be an issue nor do I see blurring.

On my old system, especially on close-ups of animal or people's faces were quite outstanding.  The lack of depth is my biggest peeve with Ignite.

Ignite looks fine on my 42" plasma set, quite similar to DTV because of the small screen size.  With Ignite, screen size matters especially for a home theatre applications.  There must be other users who have experienced what I have written about.

As I said, perceptions of quality can vary from person to person, the program content that you are watching and the display that you are watching it on.  You might also need to make some minor adjustments to the settings/calibration of your equipment.

(For the problem with rolling credits, check out the end credits on a Doctor Who episode on Space CTV Sci-Fi.  On a home renovation show/program segment, you'll often see judder when the camera pans across a room to show off the completed reno.)

Are the encoders up-gradable via a FW downloaded by Rogers? or does the hardware need to be physically changed?

It can be either.  Encoders are EXPENSIVE so sometimes hardware upgrades are done incrementally, initially for the channels with the most challenging/problematic content.  I also don't have any specific knowledge about Rogers' current implementation or their future plans.  I'm only speaking generally from past experience.

The quality of Ignite TV has been getting better and better since its introduction.  The Rogers team also listens to our friendly, constructive feedback, and that's why I remain optimistic and don't get too upset about issues that come up; I'm confident they will be addressed over time.

J-Ashenhurst
I've Been Here Awhile
i absolutely hate ignite, mostly because i wasn't informed by the salesperson OR the installation tech that once you switch, if you hate it or have issues, you can't switch back. no matter what. which i personally think is nonsense, i think rogers is just refusing to switch me back to my far superior digital cable. i hate the boxes, i hate the controllers, i hate the interface, i hate the ZERO instructions that the tech gave us during installation. if you still have digital cable, hold on to it for dear life.

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, after reading all the negative postings on these forums, I get the impression that Ignite TV is not mature enough yet, and Rogers have a long way to go. I understand that there are probably many customers that are happy, but for those that are not, then they are not given the option of going back to digital cable. The upshot is that Rogers will end up losing customers.
My current promotions expire soon and so I have decided to sign up for another 12 months of digital cable.

Kromtara
I Plan to Stick Around

To be fair Rogers has earned a positive update from our family. We made the switch to Rogers Ignite TV four months ago and so I will call this our “Quarterly report + 1.”

1. Our set-up consists of the Rogers Ignite Modem (150) and three wireless Ignite TV boxes over three floors. We have three TV's, five heavy Internet users (two work from home), home phone, Rogers wireless phones, PlayStation and other connected devices.
  2. We use Harmony Hub to control all devices, D-Link PowerLine AV 500 for Ethernet and the Ignite App to control access.
  3. I can confirm our savings of ~$700 annually compared to separate providers for home phone and Internet / TV. Rogers offered free installation and waved all transfer/cancellation charges.
  4. The Home Phone, TV and Internet services have been consistent on every floor of our home. Zero complaints from all family members! We can access services from anywhere via the Internet. Performs as advertised.
  5. We have had to unplug / replug (reboot) individual wireless Ignite TV boxes twice so far.
  6. I posted the details on our personal installation experience here one month in: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Installation-Experiences-Questions/...

Thanks for the help from Rogers personnel and people on this Forum while tuning up our set-up. I definitely recommend working closely with your Rogers Ignite TV Concierge and Install Tech. Cheers!

synodontis
I've Been Here Awhile

I quickly wanted to add to Kromtara's post - in a likewise positive vote for Ignite.

I have had Ignite for a few months now and am very happy with the product/service/total package. Everything for us has been better - great voice command remote, better picture and general ease of use.

My only issues to date, like Kromtara, have been a couple of reboots required when connectivity had an issue - nothing concerning, at this point.

I would just like to add that for those on the fence and reading posts here, just bear in mind that often on boards like these, more people are posting with complaints, looking for answers or to vent (not discounting anyones issues), rather than people that are having good results looking to share their happiness with the world about a big, bad telecom company.

That isn't to say that anyone should take the plunge and expect my positive results as every situation is different. However, I would expect there are many happy subscribers.

Good luck with your decision.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So far, my experiences with Ignite TV have continued to be very positive as well.  When occasional issues have come up, Rogers has made every effort to resolve them quickly.  I also don't want to be dismissive of anybody who continues to experience issues with any aspect of the service either.  Hopefully their problems will be resolved as well and Rogers will learn from those negative experiences and use that knowledge to make Ignite TV even better for everybody.

seadooxp30
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Consider yourself one of the "lucky one"  if your ignite tv is flawless.
I have gone through every single issue and currently suffering from micro freezing
Btw- I am in gigabite internet and tv and home

As someone stated above.. i dont think its necessarily being a 'lucky one'.

Its hard to say without seeing exact numbers.  
But if you took each person on here expressing an issue, out of however many people overall currently have Ignite... thats going to be an Very small %.
Again without numbers.. its hard to tell.  How many more have issues but havent complained??  How many more are completely fine?

Personally I know about 20 people on rogers.  And about 3/4 of them have switched to ignite.  And not one of them yet has experienced any of the major issues (outside of the once in a blue moon reboot of the box).

Its all in perception.
For someone like myself who has been on here helping others with their experience, going back to PRE the nextbox 2.0 boxes, and have seen all the issues that can/have come up over time.  Digital cable has had overall I would probably say MORE issues than people here have experienced.   
There might be very few present now... but thats now that its approaching EOL.  

seadooxp30

Gdkitty ,

One unhappy customer is too many!

Your comment doesn't help. So Rogers should ignore people with issue just because 90%  don't have problem.

As I said I'm paying for service and expect to get what is advertised. 

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

And also the point that 

seadooxp30

And trust me as much as I hate BELL, as soon as gigabit is available in my area, I drop rogers and run!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was a former Digital TV customer and cancelled my service (twice) because Rogers could not resolve the constant pixellation and macroblocking that I was seeing on switched digital video channels or get bugs fixed in the set-top box software.

So far, I haven't experienced any major problems with Ignite TV.

I am curious about how many of those responding to my issue have large screen (100" +) projection system. That really is my main complaint. For my system Dgital TV and my HD projector, it was a perfect match in terms of high quality video.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its outputting the SAME video standards.. 720, 1080i, 1080p, etc.. so it really shouldn't change from the one box to the other.
(Unless you were using an older box, which wasnt doing 1080?)
One thing to look at would be the video settings.. change from AUTO to a fixed resolution, as that might improve stuff (rather than it trying to match a resolution from the display device)

The old Netbox3 was switched out and the new Rogers installed.  No changes at the projector settings.  Signal was 1080p so the Ignite box must be doing some "post-processing" otherwise, I would have expected it to be virtually the same video quality.

I tried changing the video settings (720p, 1080i) on the Ignite settings but no changes.

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello All

Rogers tech scheduled to come and install Ignite TV and Internet in my apartment this Thursday.

My only concern is thick concrete walls in my three bedroom apartment with no receptacles in the hallway to plug any pods! 
I would therefore, like for the technician to first make a thorough assessment because I don’t want to end up having 500 Mbps speeds in the living room where the cable jack is and 50 Mbps in the bedrooms!!

I also have three desktops hooked up by Ethernet to my present Rogers Cable modem and am wondering how will I deal with them with WiFi internet alone? Will I have to buy USB Wifi adapters? If yes then which ones? PCIE cards or USB?

I would like the option to go back to the present digital system if I am not happy with Ignite TV and internet.

Any advice to a newbie would be appreciated.

My understanding is you cannot go back once they switch you over as they are trying to migrate everyone to Ignite.   I  have also being told by Rogers that I can go back but they will charge you more for your old package.

Pretty much once its activated, yeah, its hard to go back.

3 bedroom.. it shouldnt be that horrible.   Even with the concrete.
Worse case, maybe put a pod in each room.. First room would get enough from the modem, then B from A, etc?

As for Ethernet, the modem does have 2 ports.
Rogers usually if you need more, will install a small switch there at the modem.  (or you could install your own).