cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

justin4thewin
I've Been Here Awhile

When will the Rogers variant of the S6 Edge recieve the newest version of android? Telus has announced that their variants will recieve it on March 16th.

376 REPLIES 376

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Marshmallow Update?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @darthbr4d & @RAL69

( @RAL69 No i don't work for Rogers nor do I get free stuff for them. I do this on my own and on my own time and I have explained my reasons on other posts.)

Again you can't speak for eveyone. Not everyone is like you and the rest which don't care about the page. Some actually do care about it even after they get a update. The page was information waa posted to help out users. Now you can take that and now care or not even read it but the Mods are doing their job as they are supposed too. You be in their shoes but getting all this hate and heat when they aren't even at fault. Granted they work for Rogers, they are only here to keep the boards in line and make sure all goes well and once they get information, they post it.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @lucasberthault

While I agree with most of your post what is 100% correct , one thing that I do not agree is " no one care about WiFi Calling" you and no one on here can speak about everyone. You can't speak for the ones that actually need WiFi Calling in areas that they don't get either good service or no service at all and only have WiFi in their homes. Again i agree about the update being released this late and all that but many others want thus feature as well. Again as you pay premium for a device to get updates and the services that the manufacturer provides, so do the ones that bought the phone which were told that WiFi would work and the depend on that service in the areas I listed above.

Again the update should come out overall and should not be taking this long but I guess it's due to the WiFi Calling and the bloatware which won't work and needs major work

RAL69
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @Meowmix,

I don't think you are getting the point people are trying to make.  Rogers can  easily release the Marshmallow updates with the security updates and bug fixes and disable WIFI calling.  At a later date they can implement WIFI calling once they have the problems fixed.

The OS upgrade schedule page is another problem.  It has no useful information for users looking for the Marshmallow upgrade.  They should at least give target dates and reasons for the delay.  All it says is "COMING SOON".  Seeing that "COMING SOON" further infuriates the users.

The third problem is Rogers has been silent through this whole ordeal - further adding insult to injury. 

Believe me once they release the updates everything will be back to normal until the next upgrade.  That is what Rogers is banking on.  After all we are nice Canadians and tend to forgive very easily.  Trust me after the upgrade most users will thank you and the mods and apologize for being so nasty.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @RAL69

I get the point on everything here, don't think i don't. Yes they can release the update and disable the features that some want but i guess they see it as its easier for them and the developers to do it all at once instead of doing it separately. That is what i am saying. Should they have sent out the update a long time ago? Of course they should have as many are waiting but again there are other things coming into play here that none of us know. It could be that their own systems are having issues fixing this or maybe the developers are having problems. No one knows. Now again i see your and everyones points and i have said it many times i agree with everything. I just maybe see it differently then some others but i do agree the update should have been released earlier.

Again i have explained WHY they do not give concrete dates on the OS Upgrade thread. They tend not to put dates anymore because of this reason. They used to put dates but sometimes they missed the dates and had users on here getting angry and fighting because of it. So they removed that off. Now they need to figure out a way of getting the updates going on time and without a hitch but again sometimes it does happen ( late upgrades, not as late as this i agree)

iankthompson
I Plan to Stick Around

The main issue at stake here, and probably the biggest dissapointment, is the sheer lack of respect for the customers coming from Rogers.  There are so many questions about "Why isn't it out yet", but the fundamental question we're having is, why is there no communication.  It's literally a void coming from Rogers.  Heck an admission of "we're having trouble implementing wi-fi calling" would be a  good start, or whatever it is.  Instead of passing the blame to Samsung like they have, which has been proven false, and also the security updates from Samsung have been released, just never pushed out to Rogers users.   - see -  http://security.samsungmobile.com/smrupdate.html#SMR-AUG-2016 

Samsung is producing security updates regularly.  So it's not them.  Stop blaming them.  they've released 9 monthly security updates since the one that got pushed out to my phone.

Which brings me to the second major point of concern, we're not getting security updates, mine says updated as of November 2015.  There could be major security problems with my phone, that have been fixed, leaving me vulnerable, and Rogers is to blame for the security patches not being released plain and simple.  other major carriers release the security updates why can't Rogers?  

At this point, I could care less about Marshmallow, I've already decided I'm going Nexus for my next phone, even if I do like Samsung's products, at least with the Nexus I know I'm getting up to date security patches.  (a friend has the Nexus 6P on rogers, and Google pushes out the security updates without a problem.)  I don't care about release dates, as I know they're not going to meet them,  RogersDarrell stated a few months ago that one of the other phones was getting it right away (it did) and the rest should follow within a few weeks.  well it's been a few months, and we still don't have it.  so much for the "few weeks".  and as I've said, I'm more worried about the security updates than the OS upgrade really.  There have been a few big issues discovered in the past 9 months that affect lollypop, that have been patched by google and subsequently repackaged by Samsung for the S6, that we never ever see.  This leaves Rogers Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge users vulnerable.  That is unacceptable.  intentionally leaving customers vulnerable to security issues that have been resolved by both the OS vendor, and the hardware vendor, but not being deployed by the provider... That is the major issue here.  And I really want an official statement on WHY they do not release security patches, that's not "oh samsung hasn't made them available to us".  Which I direct you to the above link.  If samsung is holding them back from Rogers, I can look up some corporate lawyers for you if you're too lazy to do that yourself.  I'm sure you could get some big money if they're intentially withholding them.  

RAL69
I Plan to Stick Around

@kamiar wrote:

this is probably the entire rogers android department 

monkey_computer_perry_hall_pc_repair.jpg

Just a little comic  relief.  Hope it brings a smile to all the frustrated users in this thread.  It brings a smile to my face ever time I see it.  Thanks @kamiar.  You give the Rogers android department too much credit.  At least this chimp knows how to open a laptop.  

I promise this will be my last post unless I have something useful to say.  

catamtl
I Plan to Stick Around

I installed the Telus update using the XDA method few days ago and I can tell it's working great.

Battery performance it improved with 25% at least, no more keyboard lag, fingerprint sensor it's responding way better.

If you really want the upgrade there are multiple methods out there; don't wait for rogers. Probably they wait for android N to be releaseed to integrate that in the same time, looks like it is simpler for them that way.

if you are affraid of editing a text file to make use of fiddler method, make a backup with Smart Switch, change the CSC in your phone with a provider of your choice then the update will be ofered right to you at the second reboot;

Accept the update, change the CSC  back to rogers if you care about, restore your backup and you're done;

takes 20 minutes with a good wifi connection, the update is 1.7 Gb so will take a little to download and process.

Regarding the wifi calling, I don't know if so many people are expecting it so heavily, as there is not like they give you free calls over wifi using your phone; the minutes will be substracted from your plan.

from what I see it, it's more like they want us to use our wifi connection, decongestionate their network and still pay the full bill; and maybe pay a premium for the feature 🙂

Lexidias
I've Been Around

I am pretty sure it's not because of wifi calling.

It has been over 5 months since other carriers have got their updates and yet rogers can't even give us a specific date!!!!!!!!!!! or if it's really really becuase of wifi calling, then all the engineers and programmers who were working on it should get fired for not getting the job done.

OMG wifi calling? is that some kind of a super super good feature thats going to make my phone like it came from year 2050 or something? if it is, then sure I can wait for that hahahaha!!!

I am even using wifi calling with my text messaging app and there are more than enough third party apps in playstore that we can use if anyone wants to use it and they are saying that android M is getting delayed because of that?

wow rogers!!!! looks like someone is out of all the excuses!!!!

Now samsung realeased galaxy S7, and also note 7 just few days ago....and I am still stuck with my lollipop...wow I just can't believe it...

THANKS ROGERS FOR LEAVING ME BACK IN STONE AGE!!

GIVE ME MY OS UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MySynpai
I've Been Around

I signed up for the simple purpose of tellign Rogers representaives that I will be leaving their service as soon as my contract is up, possibly sooner.

Since switchign to Rogers in November 2015, I've had countless billing issues, issues with the extra programs such as NHL GCL and Shomi, and last but certainly not least, nearly a year delay getting Marshmallow on my Galaxy S6.

One. Freaking. Year.

I'm not sure who I'll go with, but anything (other than Wind Mobile) has to be better than Rogers. Terrible service, terrible support, just terrible...

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
@MySynpai
Unfortunately they all suck. Rogers, Bell, and Telus own all the other smaller companies. But on customer reviews Telus has gotten the best ratings out of the three. When I was talking to them, asking about plans, features, coverage, they were the nicest people. As I habe mentioned earlier, this thread is irrelevant to Rogers. It has pver 30k views and only one response from the mods that are supposed to be the voice for Rogers.

Sure, they might know as much as we do, but if you are looking at a PR standpoint, this is just sad. By the way, WiFi calling works on major US carriers already, like AT&T. Do not know why it has become such a puzzle for Rogers.

Arkdom
I Plan to Stick Around
Unfortunately the schedule they post for updates is also not correct. The Galaxy S7 according to the schedule has the update available but many S7 owners cannot download the update. I heard it was temporarily available but might have been pulled do to issues with wifi calling.
Rogers should just release the update for S6 and S7 without wifi calling and work on it for separate release as a separate app.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
@Arkdom
As much as that is the logical thing to do. Has Rogers acted logically in any of this. The update for the S6 was released initially by Telus in the beginning of June. We are mid August without a light in the tunnel. Rogers is just taking in all our complaints and basically telling us to screw ourselves because OS updates are not part of their service (exact words by a Rogers Business Manager). When they clearly are when the provider is responsible for the release. I want to stop posting on this thread, but the frustration is overwhelming. And it is not because of the update anymore, it is about Rogers basically telling us how worthless we are to them. I am stuck with them, with no way out.

Arkdom
I Plan to Stick Around
@lucasberthault that is great if Rogers doesn't feel that os upgrades are part of their responsibility.
Rogers - don't change the OS and have the manufacturers of the phones release the updates to consumers directly. Rogers then you should work on your own apps separately and allow us to download what we want. But alas @lucasberthault you are correct - that would be too logical for Rogers.

warned
I've Been Around

Where is it?  Rogers as one of North America's largest and preminent cell phone providers has yet  to approve and release the latest update whereas the most other North American Cell phone providers managed to wrap their minds around it.  

Also, the posted helpful solution link to OS upgrade schedule doesn't work......?

I just downloaded the update through smartswitch using XDA forum's guide on how to do it. I have the 6.0.1 update from Koodo and it just works awesome and it also has the april security fix. My device feels like the one out of the box. Happy that I upgraded!

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around

So do I go with Telus or Koodo?  LOL 

I tried to trick (with help from @aboganas on XDA) the updater into thinking I have an Eastlink phone in Fiddler to no avail. By changing the firmware version the updater is seeing: 

static function OnBeforeRequest(oSession: Session) {

if (oSession.uriContains("NF_DownloadBinaryInform")){

oSession.utilReplaceInRequest("RWC", "ESK"); }

if (oSession.uriContains("NF_DownloadBinaryInform")){

oSession.utilReplaceInRequest("G920W8VLU3BOJ7", "G920W8VLU3BOK1"); } if (oSession.uriContains("NF_DownloadBinaryInform")){

oSession.utilReplaceInRequest("G920W8OYA3BOJ7", "G920W8OYA3BOK1");

}

and then reversing it for second section.

The Telus one LOOKS newer (by a month on the Sammobile site) but I'm guessing it's probably almost exactly the same.

walls1234
I Plan to Stick Around
I went with TLS and it's working flawlessly. KDO has wifi calling enabled though if that's something you wanted to try and get working.
4Walls

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @walls1234 - I ended up going with TLS and so far so good. Wifi calling isn't important to me.

Arkdom
I Plan to Stick Around
Galaxy S7 family finally has the July android update as well wifi calling. Galaxy S6 probably should not be too far behind now. This is an unfair and unreasonably long wait though.

lucasberthault
I Plan to Stick Around
I still do not know how to feel about all this. So much hate, but there is literately nothing we can do. All we can do is be patient and hope that this update gives us discounts on our bill.

rzanatta
I Plan to Stick Around
We're in a contract and Rogers gets their money. They don't care about their level of service. They therefore have no incentive to deliver.