cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

602 REPLIES 602

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

NorthGraves
I plan to stick around

FYI, just enabled IPv6 on my Edgerouter Lite, and working just fine with Rogers.

Ottawa West (Kanata).

up-n-atom
I've been here awhile

@VivienM wrote:

@up-n-atom wrote:

/64 is an Ok start, I'll be looking forward to the day where for me personally I can get atleast /60. As of now I operate with a modest 3 subnets: LAN, WIFI, and DMZ. Using the /64 for LAN as it gets the most use for v6.

How have you been finding a separate wifi subnet? I tried doing it years ago... and gave up because it broke essentially all 'consumer' broadcast-based protocols...

Not exactly sure what you're asking... I've setup my network on an isolation model where LAN, WLAN (WIFI via AP), and DMZ each have their own class C subnet:192.168.1.x/24,192.168.2.x/24, 192.168.3.x/24. These are seperate LAN but could be VLAN. They can't cross communicate unless explicitly allowed to, which only my administration hardware can. As for DHCPv6 PD you can't split a /64 delegation but I'm now wondering if I could request another?

timlocke
I plan to stick around

If you look around this thread  you'll see that I asked this question in a different way and got a reply from DaveM.

I read his reply as being:    When deployment is finished and everything is calm then maybe they will offer /56 prefixes which is the correct way to do what you want under the rules of IPV6. 

up-n-atom
I've been here awhile

@timlocke wrote:

If you look around this thread  you'll see that I asked this question in a different way and got a reply from DaveM.

I read his reply as being:    When deployment is finished and everything is calm then maybe they will offer /56 prefixes which is the correct way to do what you want under the rules of IPV6. 

Yeah I read that and my 1st post just further up was trying to be a reply to DaveM's post but I forgot to quote and it missed that context. They seem to be following a similar conservative deployment strategy to that of Comcast which is perfectly sensible. Anyway, as a intermediate solution I've since modified my setup to request a 2nd /64 delegation and was provided 1 which I've set towards my WLAN.

Here's a thought for anyone running IPV6 and looking for a second address.  If your network setup allows it, connect a second device, presumably a second router to the modem if its running in Bridge mode and restart the modem.  When you run IPV4, the modem will supply two IP addresses.  Maybe it will do the same for IPV6 without any problems.

@up-n-atom wrote:

@VivienM wrote:

@up-n-atom wrote:

/64 is an Ok start, I'll be looking forward to the day where for me personally I can get atleast /60. As of now I operate with a modest 3 subnets: LAN, WIFI, and DMZ. Using the /64 for LAN as it gets the most use for v6.

How have you been finding a separate wifi subnet? I tried doing it years ago... and gave up because it broke essentially all 'consumer' broadcast-based protocols...

Not exactly sure what you're asking... I've setup my network on an isolation model where LAN, WLAN (WIFI via AP), and DMZ each have their own class C subnet:192.168.1.x/24,192.168.2.x/24, 192.168.3.x/24. These are seperate LAN but could be VLAN.

I was just asking about your experience/successes trying to run a network that way... 

I had tried doing it, and I found it broke too many things that were designed around the assumption that everything is in the same broadcast domain. So gave up and switched back to a single subnet for both wired and (bridged) wireless...

up-n-atom
I've been here awhile

@VivienM wrote:

@up-n-atom wrote:

@VivienM wrote:

@up-n-atom wrote:

Not exactly sure what you're asking... I've setup my network on an isolation model where LAN, WLAN (WIFI via AP), and DMZ each have their own class C subnet:192.168.1.x/24,192.168.2.x/24, 192.168.3.x/24. These are seperate LAN but could be VLAN.

I was just asking about your experience/successes trying to run a network that way... 

I had tried doing it, and I found it broke too many things that were designed around the assumption that everything is in the same broadcast domain. So gave up and switched back to a single subnet for both wired and (bridged) wireless...

Ah ok, it's been smooth sailing for many years. I'm running a pfSense VM in VMware vSphere 6 hypervisor which encapsulates the virtual and physical aspect of my network and pfSense is none the wiser. These days pfSense hides most of the gritty details and does a good job of automating the setup from a wizard. Obviously I had to add a few firewall rules and play a little with NAT but mostly for my totalitarian control, ie. intercept/force DNS but also for my VOIP ATA. On the wireless end it's just an AP and a repeater both running a typical DD-WRT setup.

Just an update: I'm in Richmond Hill, I have a CGN3ACSMR, running 4.5.8.16 firmware.

When I put the modem into Bridge Mode, I can get an ipv6 address, in Gateway Mode I don't get an ipv6 address. Is Rogers going to release a firmware update so those of us running in Gateway Mode can use ipv6?

timlocke
I plan to stick around

An earlier post says you have to do a 'factory reset on the device.  On my old CGN3 that is a recessed button that needs to be pressed with a paper clip or similar.    I don't remember if it has to be held in while pressing power , held in for several seconds or just pressed. 

From the CGN3 user manual, page 25 comes the following:

Here are two ways to reset the CGN3:

1.  Press the RESET button on the CGN3, and hold it in for ten seconds or longer.

2.  Click Admin > Device Reset. In the screen that displays, click the Factory Reset button.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I reset the CGN3ACSMR by pressing the reset button on the back, with the same results. I then logged into the modem and reset to factory defaults through the GUI, that also gave the same results.

Bridge Mode: ipv6 works

Gateway Mode: no ipv6

Is anyone getting ipv6 to work in Gateway Mode, or is this strictly for Bridge Mode only?

My area should be running the latest hardware, since gigabit is available, and ipv6 works in bridge mode.

I am pleased to announce that 100 percent of Rogers' broadband network has been fully deployed to support IPv6 dual stack connectivity.

At this point, the following devices are compatible and enabled for IPv6 functionality:

o              Rocket or Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN3ACR/ACSMR or Hitron CGNM3552 (factory reset may be required to enable IPv6)

o              Advanced Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN3 (factory reset may be required to enable IPv6)

o              Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN2

o              Older modems: Scientific Atlanta/Cisco DPC2100, Motorola SB5101

We will be enabling IPv6 on all future gateways as well. We unfortunately have no plan at this stage to enable IPv6 on other already launched devices due to technical or compatibility issues. If you have an older generation modem and wish to exchange it, you can contact our customer care team to swap it for one of our advanced Wi-Fi gateway. We are also working on deploying IPv6 for our FIDO customers in the coming months.

For all these devices, IPv6 is fully supported in bridge mode (with an external router). In gateway mode, some modems may require a factory reset (in the GUI) to enable IPv6 functionality. With an upcoming firmware update, IPv6 will be enabled for all customers without additional user intervention.

At the moment, the delegated prefix length is limited to a /64. We understand that some of you are eager to get a larger prefix in order to take advantage of some of the advanced functionalities IPv6 has to offer. Now that we have completed the rollout, our engineering teams are currently assessing the effort required to enable this functionality.

The deployment of IPv6 is a critical step in supporting the growing needs of the Internet as IPv4 resources are becoming extremely scarce. Rogers is pleased to have completed this significant achievement and to be supporting the Internet community in providing access to the latest generation networks. In parallel, our wireless teams have been working diligently to enable IPv6 functionality on our state of the art HSPA/LTE network. Stay tuned more updates on this to come.

Great news that it's deployed on the entire network!

I just factroy reset my CGN3ACSMR again through the GUI, still no ipv6 in gateway mode. When will this firmware update be released? also does it contain fixes for the other issues with this gateway?

-Can't login to the gateway after two weeks or so

- 2.4Ghz Light staying on in bridge mode

howi
I plan to stick around

In gateway mode, some modems may require a factory reset (in the GUI) to enable IPv6 functionality. With an upcoming firmware update, IPv6 will be enabled for all customers without additional user intervention.

I am not sure if I interpret it right... So for those who don't brigde with an separate router, the IPv6 gateway functions toggle will also be available after a factory reset? Is that right? There are few others here have already tried to reset with their qualified modems but still do not see the changes in IPv6 gateway functions.

gp-se wrote:

I just factroy reset my CGN3ACSMR again through the GUI, still no ipv6 in gateway mode. When will this firmware update be released? also does it contain fixes for the other issues with this gateway?

-Can't login to the gateway after two weeks or so

- 2.4Ghz Light staying on in bridge mode

Gp-se, it seems that your gateway is somehow not accepting the configuration from the network to enable IPv6. There may another underlying issue here and I would suggest that you swap your gateway for a new one. This should resolve the issue.

I can't speak for the other problems but I will make sure that our engineering teams are aware and tracking these issues. 

@howi wrote:

In gateway mode, some modems may require a factory reset (in the GUI) to enable IPv6 functionality. With an upcoming firmware update, IPv6 will be enabled for all customers without additional user intervention.

I am not sure if I interpret it right... So for those who don't brigde with an separate router, the IPv6 gateway functions toggle will also be available after a factory reset? Is that right? There are few others here have already tried to reset with their qualified modems but still do not see the changes in IPv6 gateway functions.

If your modem is in gateway mode (without an external router), it likely does not have IPv6 enabled at this stage. In order to enable IPv6, a factory reset is required. This will force the gateway to download the latest configuration from the network and enable IPv6 (it is a one time action).

With the next firmware release, IPv6 will be enabled by default.

howi
I plan to stick around

DaveM,

Thanks for your reply. But like some others have mentioned, it is not the case EVEN after factory reset. The IPv6 with Bridge Mode using another gateway router has been working for me for a while here. I also look forward to seeing the Hitron gateway modems we are using can do DHCPv6 without bridging.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Can someone with a CGN3ACSMR running the latest 4.5.8.16 firmware put your Modem into Gateway Mode and confirm they are getting an ipv6 address? I don't wanna swap my modem if I don't have too. 

howi
I plan to stick around

gp-se,

Greetings. Like you and some others with the same setup COULD NOT get the IPv6 related GATEWAY functions with the qualified modem gateways even AFTER factory reset - both via GUI and hard button.

I can confirm with you the Hitron CGN3ACSMR with firmware version 4.5.8.16 that I am using will NOT get IPv6 related features in Gateway Mode, but work in Bridge Mode with a separate router, even after factory reset at this moment.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

That is my result as well, so I wont waste time swapping the modem. Hopefully they release the firmware update soon.

ge-se, howi,

This is not the intended scenario obviously. Our engineering teams will look into this specific problem and try to identify if these are isolated cases or not.

Rest assured that all reports of issues being posted in this thread are thoroughly investigated.