cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers IPv6 Status

foodgodessto
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I'm wondering what the current IPv6 status is within Rogers.  A search on the forums only shows 10 topics over the past year that even mention IPv6, and there doesn't appear to be any official communications from Rogers since IPv6 day last year.

I know that Rogers (supposedly) supports IPv6 tunneling (although the only person to ask about it did not get any responses).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers IPv6 Status

I am pleased to announce that 100 percent of Rogers' broadband network has been fully deployed to support IPv6 dual stack connectivity.

At this point, the following devices are compatible and enabled for IPv6 functionality:

o              Rocket or Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN3ACR/ACSMR or Hitron CGNM3552 (factory reset may be required to enable IPv6)

o              Advanced Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN3 (factory reset may be required to enable IPv6)

o              Wi-Fi Modem: Hitron CGN2

o              Older modems: Scientific Atlanta/Cisco DPC2100, Motorola SB5101

We will be enabling IPv6 on all future gateways as well. We unfortunately have no plan at this stage to enable IPv6 on other already launched devices due to technical or compatibility issues. If you have an older generation modem and wish to exchange it, you can contact our customer care team to swap it for one of our advanced Wi-Fi gateway. We are also working on deploying IPv6 for our FIDO customers in the coming months.

For all these devices, IPv6 is fully supported in bridge mode (with an external router). In gateway mode, some modems may require a factory reset (in the GUI) to enable IPv6 functionality. With an upcoming firmware update, IPv6 will be enabled for all customers without additional user intervention.

At the moment, the delegated prefix length is limited to a /64. We understand that some of you are eager to get a larger prefix in order to take advantage of some of the advanced functionalities IPv6 has to offer. Now that we have completed the rollout, our engineering teams are currently assessing the effort required to enable this functionality.

The deployment of IPv6 is a critical step in supporting the growing needs of the Internet as IPv4 resources are becoming extremely scarce. Rogers is pleased to have completed this significant achievement and to be supporting the Internet community in providing access to the latest generation networks. In parallel, our wireless teams have been working diligently to enable IPv6 functionality on our state of the art HSPA/LTE network. Stay tuned more updates on this to come.

View solution in original post

602 REPLIES 602

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is pretty much it, so far.

http://ipv6.rogers.com/

Pretty much, they only support the tunneling, so far.  I think most of the newer D3 gateway will support IPv6, but have not yet been rolled out yet.

SimplePanda
I plan to stick around

Can anyone from Rogers comment on: 

a) http://ipv6.rogers.com - this seems like it's been down for a while?

b) Does 6rd still work (even if unsupported)? 

c) Is Rogers getting any closer to native dual stack (a la Comcast 2 years ago). 

Before anyone else comments: my reasons for wanting IPv6 are my own, I'm well aware what it is, and no I don't care if you erroneuously think that it's "not important yet". 😜

Can't help with your question, but the link you provided is no longer working. Maybe there's a connection (no pun intended) between that and your question.

_0101_
I plan to stick around

My net is laggy tonight, youtube and other streaming sites are really struggling to load. Even this site has worked faster before.  Now I notice my ipv6 status says no connvection, and I swear it had it before.  Is there a link between that and my slow connection tonight?  How can I check it and fix it?

gth
I plan to stick around

Same problem over here....

cutting in and out ALLLLLL day yesterday, and looks like its doing it today as well.

Does any one know if changing the DNS will help?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Worth a shot, but not guaranteed.

A DNS change, will only change time/speed on an initial lookup/connection to something.  If a session of something is already established, etc.. would not cause it to cut out in the middle, etc.

gth
I plan to stick around

I changed it to 208.67.222.222

So far its holding with no cut outs...

Is it safe to leave it, or should I change it back later on?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats your choice.

You do not HAVE to use the rogers DNS servers, if you so choose not to.

Currently, all the DHCP clients in my house.. the phones, and one laptop, all use the rogers DNS servers, as its alot less critical on them for me.
Any device that has a STATIC address (which is just about everything else), all use the google DNS servers.. and i have been using them for well over a year now, no issues.

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

To answer the OT question regarding IPv6 deployment, it is in progress. In order to launch the service, multiple systems have to be upgraded first and this takes time.

Efforts are curently underway to launch IPv6 for wireless subscribers first (on newest LTE devices) and then followed by cable subsribers but there should be a lot of activity in this space in 2014.

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor
@DaveM - how many external IP addresses will I get with Rogers Ultimate internet?

@wayner92 wrote:
@davem - how many external IP addresses will I get with Rogers Ultimate internet?

The number of IPv6 addresses depends on the modem/gateway capability, not the service tier.

At a minimum, once the service is available to Rogers High Speed Internet customers, the modem will receive a /64 prefix which contains 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPv6 addresses. In the future and for modem/gateways that can support it, the service will include prefix delegation, likely at /56 or /60.

For Rogers Wireless Internet customers (LTE network), the current standards allow us to deliver a /64 to a phone, Rocket Stick or Rocket Hub. Work is still in progress in international standardization bodies (3GPP and IETF) to provide a viable solution for prefix delegation.

timlocke
I plan to stick around

@DaveM      Given that you don't support it  and given that the IPV6.rogers.com  web site has disappeared  can you please post  the magic numbers, the prefix and the ipv4 boundary address for 6RD.  Up until yesterday ( when I inadvertantly lost the router configuration) the system worked very well for the last two years and I'd like to get it back.

I sure can provide this information...

Provider Prefix   2607:F090
Provider Prefix Sites   32
Mask Bits   0
Relay Address   66.185.95.192

If you need anything else, let me know.

Is there any MTU option? Thanks

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

So what all has to be set for settings to get a IPv6 from Rogers. I'd like to get that setup too

Hwaiting
I plan to stick around

Should we all be having ipv6 connectivity by now?

When I visit ipv6 test websites, it shows I have no ipv6 connectivity.  If I go into my external router's settings (attached to the CISCO modem) and try the manual 6rd settings, it still shows no connectivity.

Check the following thread. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29521047-Internet-ipv6-6rd

Hopefully that will help.

ljl004
I've been around

Does 6rd still work?  I have set up my D-Link router with the info.  Device on the LAN side gets a private IPv6 address,   And when i check with http://test-ipv6.com, it says i dont have an IPv6 address.  Am I missing something?

Take a read through the following thread.  Hopefully it will provide the info that you need. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29521047-Internet-Rogers-IPV6-6rd-

You could send a message to damir on that thread or post a question regarding IPV6 configurations that work with the Rogers network.

The Rogers 6RD service is still active using the following parameters:

Provider Prefix   2607:F090
Provider Prefix Sites   32
Mask Bits   0
Relay Address   66.185.95.192

This is however an unsupported service.