cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message Waiting Light Not Working on Home Phone

JimPaulin
I've been around

When I recently switched my home phone, internet and TV services from Bell to Rogers, the message waiting light for voicemail on my home phone stopped working.  I had Bell voicemail before and the message waiting light worked fine.  Rogers voicemail also works fine apart from the message waiting light issue.  The problem turned out to be due to the fact that one of my home phone sets was connected to a phone jack via a 'splitter box' that took an input phone line and split it to 1/ the home phone set, and 2/ the Bell modem for internet and TV service.  When I instead plugged that home phone set directly into the phone jack, not via the splitter box, the message waiting light started to work again.  The splitter box is labeled 'Comtest Networks  VDSL & ADSL/2+'.  It's now a boat anchor with nothing plugged into it.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Message Waiting Light Not Working on Home Phone

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you basically removed the "POTS Splitter" from your configuration, because its not needed on Rogers Cable home phone and Rogers Ignite Home phone.  There is no ADSL/VDSL signal on the line as it comes out of the telephony modem or ignite modem straight thru your inside wiring to your phone sets.   Yes it makes perfect sense to remove it, why keep it there if its not being used.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Message waiting light not working

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That would make sense.

The spliter device there is actually a Filter.
Designed to partially split the signal for the DSL and Phone, and to not cause interference, etc.
But could be blocking something else signal wise that rogers needs.

Re: Message waiting light not working

BS
I'm a senior advisor

If you have any other DSL filters floating around the house, that you may not be currently connected to, disconnect them all.  Makes total sense to me too - Bell, other than Fibre to the home is using DSL or ADSL, or ADSL2 connections and the filter is necessary to make your phones connect. Rogers is pure plain old telephone connection in the house to their modem, and the phone is isolated from the Internet and the Internet side of things.

Good catch @Gdkitty

Bruce

elanovx
I've been around

jim form your description, it seem the DSL filters needs to be reworked as the bell and rogers may not work in the same settings 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you basically removed the "POTS Splitter" from your configuration, because its not needed on Rogers Cable home phone and Rogers Ignite Home phone.  There is no ADSL/VDSL signal on the line as it comes out of the telephony modem or ignite modem straight thru your inside wiring to your phone sets.   Yes it makes perfect sense to remove it, why keep it there if its not being used.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation