cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Folks,

I have attached an external 1TB Hard Drive to my Gateway/Modem. How do I map it to access it?

Thanks.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Maping an external drive on CGN3 Gateway

DoWAN
I've Been Around

Here's what I did:

1.  Log onto your router by typing http://192.168.0.1/login.html into the address bar on your web browser  and enter your username and password into the prompt when it comes up

2.  Now that you are logged onto your router, across the top of your browser window you will see a navigation bar that says Status Basic Wireless Admin Security.  Select Admin

3.  Now, a few lines below the navigation bar on the top, you'll see another navigation bar that says: Management Diagnostics Backup Time Setting USB Storage Device Reset.  Select USB Storage.

4.  Now, if you USB device is connected, you should see it listed under either No. 1 (the top USB port) or No. 2 (the other USB port).  While you are here, make sure that the Shared status is Enabled.  Where you USB is listed, you will see a path that looks something like this: file://192.168.0.1\share\26FE2EBDFE2E8561 Copy this path starting with the IP address (192.168.0.1\share\26FE2EBDFE2E8561).

5.  Open your Computer folder from your desktop or start menu.  Click map network drive on the top navigation bar, or right click on the Network folder and select Map Network Drive

6.  In the prompt, select the desired drive letter, and where it says folder insert two backslashes and paste the path that you copied in step 4.  It should look like this: \\192.168.0.1\share\26FE2EBDFE2E8561

7. Click Finish and voila your drive should be mapped.

View solution in original post

128 REPLIES 128

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think part of the problem is that hitron hasnt really released a manual for this thing yet 😞

I would ASSUME its probably SMB

hopefully someone here who has it, can give you a hand.

Yatti420
I Plan to Stick Around
It probably wont work.. Even D-Link's ports require proprietary software. Use the ports to charge your USBs.. Hopefully it'll kill the 5v caps getting you a new modem/gateway!..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
All depends.
I know on the linksys routers you just need to do an smb to the up of the router.
I'll try and make some inquiries on it.

Someone posted this on another board.

file://192.168.0.1\share\diska1

mapped a drive, this is the path.  (the ip being that of what you have your gateway set)

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Gdkitty for the info. I succeeded in mapping a flash drive connected to the CGN3 Gateway. However, I could not succeed in getting it to recognize an external USB hard drive. 

Working on it...! Please stay tuned.

Hmm.. my next guess would be..

Format?  Its possible it will only read say a specific format... say FAT formatted.. not NTFS or similar..??

Hey! someone found the manual for this guy 🙂  STill DIDNT have the answer of how to map the drive in it 😛

But it did have this about the USB ports.

The CGN3 provides two USB 2.0 host ports on the rear,
allowing you to plug in USB flash disks for mounting and
sharing through the LAN interfaces via the Samba
protocol (network neighborhood).
The CGN3 supports the following Windows file systems:
FAT16
FAT32
NTFS
USB devices must not drain more than 500mA
from the USB port. USB devices requiring
more than 500mA should be provided with
their own power source(s).

So looks like file system format, is fine.

BUT.. what type of drive were you plugging into it?  I am wondering, if you were trying say a portable USB only powered hard drive, it may not have enough power to drive/run the thing properly?

mubashir56
I Plan to Stick Around

Breaking news !! Although CGN3 did detect the USB flash drive, it only shows it as an 8 Meg drive (instead of 64 Gig).

Regarding what kind of external hard drive I plugged, it is an NTFS formatted  1TB 3.5" drive that comes with a power adapter.

BTW, what is "Samba Protocol" and how can it be used to map a drive?

Thanks.

Ok, that one is powered.. so it should be OK..

SAMBA protocl, is SMB.. its a type of file connect.. often used between windows/mac/linux for file sharing on a network... little more universal than windows file share

Try maping a drive with this format

smb://ServerName/ShareName

So smb://youripaddress/

and the sharname possibly as it you had it working on the one above?

Unfortunately, thats about all the documentation says on it 😞

Maybe next would be to put in a support ticket with Hitron? They might be able to send you the right info.

fishon
I Plan to Stick Around

I can get a flash drive to be recognized if it is formatted as Fat32, but the very same drive is not recognized as NTFS?  According to the manual either should be fine.  Any thoughts?

BTW ... Even though this gateway is labeled CGN3 it is actually the CGNM http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgnm/, not the CGNDM that someone had mentioned in an earlier post, which only has one usb port.

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

I've got a 32 GB Verbatim Store-n-Go USB flash drive installed in it right now. It is formatted NTFS.

On Windows 8.1 File Explorer it says 7.85 MB free of 8.0 MB

However, when I go into the indivdual folders I see the Videos folder as 3.19 GB and Documents folder as 653 MB both of which are the correct sizes.

Just playing around with this before buying an external drive.

fishon
I Plan to Stick Around

I have now tried several different flash drives.  All are recognized when formatted to Fat32, but none are recognized as NTFS.  I was hoping to use NTFS as there is no 4GB limitation on file size.

Under Fat32, they show as ................. disk No. 1 "file://192.168.0.1\share\diska1"

Under NTFS they show as ................. "no disk"

Weird?  Any thoughts anyone?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you able to connect to it, via the other method i mentioned on pg 1 in a later post?

fishon
I Plan to Stick Around

I have tried direct access, and smb.  No luck with NTFS?  If I log directly into the gateway all fat32 disks show as shared disks, but the very same disks formatted to NTFS show as "no disk".  Weird hunh?  No problems mapping drives in Fat32, I can access it from my media player, tablet, phone, and other pc's, without a hitch.

Thanks all, especially GDkitty!!!

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

I just find it strange in that I've been able to use BOTH Fat32 & NTFS formatted USB flash drives. Perhaps a firmware issue?

I was planning to add an external drive but am waiting to see if what experience other users are having,

maybe its possibly differnt types of drives, etc.. some may work some may not..

fishon
I Plan to Stick Around

So I have now tried six different USB flash drives of varying sizes ... all of them are mappable if formatted Fat32, none of them work if formatted NTFS.  Tried exFat, as this breaks the 4GB file size barrier.  None are mappable under exFat. 

My quest goes on .... 🙂

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have NEVER had any luck, with any form of those USB based network adapters.. on routers, 3rd party stand alone, etc.. always seemed flakey 😛

Have a server PC thats always on.. easier to have them in there, and easy to map to.
Also, picked up a NAS style ext hard drive over the weekend.. SOOO easy to setup and access.

Hey Guys 

Once i logged into the Admin console for my CGN3ROG, I was able to navigate to the Admin Link and then to the Sub link - 'USB Storage'. The first time around when i enabled the USB storage, i was able to access the Network drive. The link that was generated for me in the Admin console was file://192.168.0.1\share\diska1

I was able to view the files etc for my Hard Drive(with its Own Power Source) over WIFI. After sometime this stopped. When i called in Rogers(Waste of time), they mentioned that the USB ports have been blocked by the Manufacturer by default...

🙂 

Kindly help out if you had a similar situation as i dont buy Rogers recommendation...

Cheers

AlternateGeomet
I've Been Around

if i use the USB ports and try to reach them directly i simply build a shortcut to map the drive or "add a network location" (or in an old XP add a "network place"), the address path of the usb storage attached to the usb port of the router on the network will be whats given in the settings under the "usb storage" tab (which of course will have to be set on Enable using the button in the same tab). This address will be in the format: file://router ip\share\a string of letters and numbers that identifies the usb storage

If we copy and paste the path as it is it wont mean anything for a pc we have to type it in the format  \\router ip\share\etc omitted file: and switched the // to \\

If we are mapping the drive then check the "Reconnect at sign-in" check box if available

smb:// will be for linux

So far various formats of usb and external HDD worked for me

Topic Stats