cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV and Slingbox

catman1008
I've Been Here Awhile

I previously used a Rogers PVR and a Sling Box, with HD cable, without any problem.  But I just switched to Rogers  Ignite TV, and now my sling box does not seem to function. It only shows what is on live tv, but you can no longer change the channel or use any other sling box functions.  Is there a way to enable the sling box to work with the Ignite TV?

***Added Labels***

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Ignite TV and Slingbox

Tiger99
I Plan to Stick Around
Able to get mine functioning awhile back,think i had to select one of the comcast remotes for x1 gear as slingbox not supported for some time so not showing the rogers ignite gear.

jpullam
I'm Here A Lot

I have a Slingbox too and I just switched my Rogers service to ignite so I appear to have the same issue. From what I read, the latest Rogers ignite set top box is called an XI6-A and it does not use IR for channel changing. I presume that means that the remote only sends out some sort of RF signal. (Sorry, this is not technology I am very familiar with.)

So if there is no IR signal, then the Slingbox will never be able to tell the XI6-A to switch channels. And I also understand that all Slingbox models work on IR.

The XI6-A predecessor (XI5) appears to support IR. Does anyone know if the XI6-A will too? And if so, how to get it to do so?

Ignite tv dies RF AND IR. harmony one remotes work fine with it.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Here's some specs on the  XI6-A: Notice the IRDA

Xi6-A Specs.jpg

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_AX061AEI_(Xi6-A)

Yeah, I saw that page. But the term "IrDA" under flags didn't tell me anything.

I've spent the last few hours reading articles and there is some hope that I can communicate with the XI6-A using IR. Is anyone doing that now? If so, did you have to do anything to the XI6-A first to get it to use IR? If you used a Harmony One, what did you tell that device? I'm not adverse to buying more components if others have gotten them to work.

The box definitely does have IR, and shouldnt have to be turned on, etc.  
I was able to set my harmony remote up OK with it, right out of the box.

As a user mentioned above..  and i believe what the harmony uses for its 'remote codes'

is the Comcast X1
(the older remote for those series of boxes)

catman1008
I've Been Here Awhile

I purchased a Logitech Harmony hub and remote, and it does solve the problem. Now I can change channels, and control the Sling Box,  using the Harmony app.  It’s an extra step than previously just using the Sling Box app, but at least I can now control it remotely again, so I will be able to watch my own programs and recordings when I am away from Canada.

Thanks to everyone who helped solve this problem.

you should be able to change the channels just fine without having to spend extra money on a Logitech Remote control. The problem you have is a configuration with slingbox and the new ignite tv box. Since the slingbox is giving you trouble, in the future, you would need to contact their own technical support hotline and have them help you to fix the issue, since its a slingbox issue and not a rogers issue. but glad you got it working.

jpullam
I'm Here A Lot

I'm working through this problem now and I can tell you that there is no Slingbox support. The company has announced that there will be no more models and they are just doing basic in-warranty stuff for free, and "per incident" charges for products out of warranty. As my Slingbox is an M2 (a somewhat older model) there is no meaningful support from them. Just forums like this one.

It's good to know that the Harmony Hub route works because that's clearly my fallback approach now. 

At the moment, I'm buying an HDMI to composite converter because the ignite box only has HDMI and the Slingbox M2 takes composite but no HDMI. After I get it , I will try to tell the Slingbox that the cable box is a Comcast X1. If I can get it working I'll report on what I did. If not, it's time to buy a Harmony Hub.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I personally have a slingbox myself. Mine was originally connected to a bell receiver and I changed the receiver to Rogers. Obviously it did not change the channels and I had to go into the slingbox account and re-run the setup and change the configuration so it would work with the Rogers Set Top box to change channels.

Just like you I struggled with this but after reading the help pages and support section I was able to figure out how to do it and changed the config so it sends the correct signal to the rogers box now and change channels , I did not have to buy anything from logitech for this to work.

catman1008
I've Been Here Awhile
You are right, I reconfigured the composite connection on the Sling Box and used Rogers Ignite, pvr, and Comcast X1 as settings, and the Slingbox works okay again. I am returning the Harmony remote to Best Buy, it is not needed. Thanks for saving me $170, plus don’t need two apps to control Sling Box anymore.

My picture shows up as blue whenever I connect remotely to the Ignite box. Is there anything I can do to get it to work properly. The remote functionality is fine I can use the Slingbox remote to control the box but I have no visual when remote connection is on.

fwd1955
I Plan to Stick Around

If you're connecting the Ignite box to the slingbox and on to the tv via hdmi, the the copy protection is still in place, resulting in the blue screen.  That's why you had to use analog cables as well as hdmi to connect the old box to the slingbox.  I got one of these, it strips the copy protection as the signal passes through it.  There are a couple of ways to connect it, but as long as it's between the Ignite and Sling boxes, it works great.   https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LAILGN0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Copy protection? That's the first I've read about that.

I tried unsuccessfully to get my slingbox to work with ignite and couldn't figure out the problem. I bought an HDMI to composite converter and although the TV still worked fine (using the composite out signal from the slingbox), the sling itself said that it didn't have any video. It had audio but no video. I finally removed it in frustration.

So how does an HDMI splitter figure into this? The model listed doesnt say anything about removing copy protection that I can see.

fwd1955
I Plan to Stick Around

Does your converter also have an HDMI output? If so, I would try sending both HDMI and component to the SlingBox from the converter, and then HDMI only to the TV, same as you would have done from a NextBox. If not, I think the Sling should still work with component only. You could try using an HDMI out of the SlingBox into the TV, not sure if it would be active with component only input. In either case, make sure to select the component input in the SlingBox setup. As far as my splitter goes, I think I read somewhere in the reviews or comments that it stripped the HDCP as the signal passed through it. I can confirm that its output does work as input to the SlingBox. If you do this, select HDMI as your input source, and ignore the warning. Also, I should point out that I have not yet made the switch, just preparing for the inevitable. However, the output signal from the NextBox should be the same as that of the Ignite box.

My config is not what you think. I replaced an Explorer 8300 (not a nextbox), and my sling is a solo.

I now follow what you meant about copy protection. I'd been hoping that might be a new explanation for why my video signal isn't good enough for the sling but is good enough for the TV.  The following is my config that failed.  The TV signal goes from ignite box, using HDMI, to my HDMI-composite converter. Then using its composite output, the signal goes to the slingbox input. The signal then goes from the slingbox output, still using composite, to my TV.  The TV works great, even with all this stuff in the path.

The Slingbox Solo does not accept HDMI and I believe that the 500 is the only model that does. I won't buy another slingbox, now that it is a dead product.

Given that the TV works with the composite signal that has already passed  through the sling, I have to ask why the sling doesn't like the signal it is passing?

I figured that it might be a software issue and I did a factory reset and tried to reconfigure the box. But that is a hassle too, as the old setup software isn't there and you have to use a different program.

Anyway, after several days of lost time I decided to give up and look for alternate approaches to the sling. My next scheme is to use Windows Remote Desktop. I think that ill work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jpullam wrote:

The TV signal goes from ignite box, using HDMI, to my HDMI-composite converter. Then using its composite output, the signal goes to the slingbox input. The signal then goes from the slingbox output, still using composite, to my TV. 

I assume you mean component video (red/green/blue), not composite (yellow) (plus analogue audio)?  You may wish to check again to make sure the output video setting on the ignite box is 1080i and not "auto".  For kicks, try setting it to 480i and see what happens.  Also check the signal incoming to the TV it should also show 1080i (or 480i for the test).  There is usually an 'info' or similar button on the TV remote to show the incoming signal, or it shows temporarily when you turn the TV on, or when you switch TV inputs.  Make sure the Sling is set to the correct video input, not composite, not HDMI.

fwd1955
I Plan to Stick Around

The output of the 8300 should be the same as the NextBox, not likely causing the issue, although dumbing it down to a lower resolution might help.  The problem is likely with the Solo, I'm not sure if it can handle the newer signals.  The SlingBox 350 is a lesser featured version of the 500 (which I'm using), perhaps you can find a used one.  If not, the app should give you live access to your channels, although only from within Canada, use a VPN with a Canadian IP if out of the country.  Unfortunately, this doesn't get you PVR access, which is what I was looking for in the first place.  Good luck!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fwd1955 wrote:

The output of the 8300 should be the same as the NextBox, not likely causing the issue, although dumbing it down to a lower resolution might help.  

He's got an Ignite box, not a Nextbox, hence his posts in this thread. The output signal on the Ignite boxes can be different (up to 4K). It also uses HDMI-CEC to automatically set the video output when connected to a TV.  The video output of the Ignite box needs to be set manually to something compatible with the Slingbox (like 1080i, not 1080P or 4K) when using such a device.  Also, any devices (like a splitter or converter box to CV) needs to have the appropriate specifications for the HDMI signal.

gutes13
I'm Here A Lot

I just tried the HDMI splitter, it works the first time but after I logout and try to connect to the Slingbox again it doesn't work and I get the weak signal message on the screen. I got a powered splitter with HDCP 2.0. Suggestions? Canada Computers didn't have an HDMI to Component adapter. I found another place that does in Brampton which is a bit of a pain for me so anything I can do at Canada Computers would be much easier.

@57 wrote:

@fwd1955 wrote:

The output of the 8300 should be the same as the NextBox, not likely causing the issue, although dumbing it down to a lower resolution might help.  

He's got an Ignite box, not a Nextbox, hence his posts in this thread. The output signal on the Ignite boxes can be different (up to 4K). It also uses HDMI-CEC to automatically set the video output when connected to a TV.  The video output of the Ignite box needs to be set manually to something compatible with the Slingbox (like 1080i, not 1080P or 4K) when using such a device.  Also, any devices (like a splitter or converter box to CV) needs to have the appropriate specifications for the HDMI signal.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 13 in conversation