cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Screen Saver

MonCheri
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there a way to turn it off? I like to wake up with the TV on.
Also, when I turn on my tv it always displays the screen saver, I have to press the Rogers button for the TV to come on.

*** Added Labels ***

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Ignite TV Screen Saver

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think that Rogers could also make this whole issue go away if they would allow their customers to watch Ignite TV using apps on Roku, Fire TV and Smart TVs.

RSJS
I've Been Around

ROGERS,

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come up with a way to disable the screen saver! My dog has anxiety, and we use the tv to help calm him when we're not home. On work days, we need the tv going for longer than 5 hours. Not having the ability to turn off the screen saver is making me regret our switch to Ignite.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are just looking for something to keep your pets entertained, in many areas you can pick up several TV channels using a simple paper clip antenna.  (Also works great for watching Saturday night hockey on CBC in full uncompressed HD.  Add a second paper clip, to form a "T", to bring in more channels.  Sorry, this won't help if Rufus likes to watch The Weather Network while you are away.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTULDSQ86cc

jjjjy7
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@-G-   If they let you watch Ignite through other apps, Rogers would lose revenue from renting you their fantastic set top boxes!!

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around
There is an Ignite TV app for iOS and Android and Ignite is also accessible by browser on Windows. When any of these devices are connected to your TV you should be able to stream without interruption. The real point is we shouldn’t have to resort to this as a work around.

just4fun1290
I've Been Here Awhile
Would be nice if the People who do the coding could make an option in the screensaver menu to set it to a single channel so when it kicks in only that channel would stream. This could set rogers apart from others. I am looking at other options then rogers and will let this community know if i find a better option or work around. Cant Waite till Bell Fiber is fully installed in our building at least they offer a better discount then rogers does to long term customers now. Rogers was better before iptv to long term customers now.

@just4fun1290 wrote:
Would be nice if the People who do the coding could make an option in the screensaver menu to set it to a single channel so when it kicks in only that channel would stream.

The problem is not that the screen saver is kicking in, it's that the channel's network stream gets terminated after 5 hours of inactivity.  They do not want any channel to stream endlessly.  I'm sure that Rogers is using a default profile setting for the inactivity timer... and the folks that control how Ignite TV is provisioned can probably extend it to 8 or 12 hours, or something longer, but I don't know for sure because I don't know the "internals" of the X1 platform.  I seriously doubt that they would ever disable the inactivity timer or give you the ability to do so in a setting... unless you were on a plan where you paid for your Internet usage.

If you want to get the inactivity timeout changed, then posting here probably won't get you any farther than yelling at the pigeons in the park.  You need to share your concern with Rogers and have the management team escalate the issue internally: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around
There is no difference in streaming using the Ignite app or browser and the TV box. The app and browser streams do not stop after 5 hours so it makes zero sense to do this with the TV box, it’s all still using the internet to stream!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:
There is no difference in streaming using the Ignite app or browser and the TV box. The app and browser streams do not stop after 5 hours so it makes zero sense to do this with the TV box, it’s all still using the internet to stream!

It's not as much of a problem because App and PC users make up a small percentage of active Ignite TV users, and there is a limit as to how many of those streams can be active inside and outside of your household.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

I have ONE TV and therefore only one stream is possible at a time!  Forcing single TV households to suffer with this screen saver needs to stop!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

I have ONE TV and therefore only one stream is possible at a time!  Forcing single TV households to suffer with this screen saver needs to stop!  It’s all BS!

I don't disagree with you or anybody here.  I'm just providing the technical justifications why IPTV platforms are provisioned the way that they are.

Reactions to the inactivity timer on set-top boxes would also be quite different if TV and Internet were priced as a utility where you paid for usage, like you would with voip.ms for telephone service.  Somebody, in this case Rogers, literally has to pay some cost (for power and infrastructure) for every bit of data that gets streamed (and stored) by the Ignite TV service to each individual subscriber.  There's a reason why you don't leave your water tap running all day.

Again, I'm just saying why things are the way that they are.  (having had to do business cases for infrastructure investment and estimating/forecasting operational costs, ROI and EBITDA)

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

The reasoning still doesn’t hold water when you can stream without limits on the internet and IPTV is using the internet.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

The reasoning still doesn’t hold water when you can stream without limits on the internet and IPTV is using the internet.

If this ever becomes a problem. they will close that loophole too.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

It they do they will lose customers on mass.  I’ll go to Beanfield!

Can I disable screen saver? My mother is .89 in long term care home and stares at screensaver most of the day.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

Sadly no you can’t disable it, that’s what we’re complaining about 👎

Kerri151515
I've Been Here Awhile
Similar to the issues below I would like Rogers to fix the screensaver issue and enable an option to be set to never. I like to sleep with the tv on at night and it wakes me up when the tv goes off. Also I like to leave the TV on for my dog when I am at work. My current Rogers ignite promotion is ending soon and I will be switching providers if this is not remedied. It seems like a pretty easy solution to allow customers to disable this feature.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

Even when the box is set to 5 hours the screen saver kicks in after 4 hours. Fix it Rogers!!!!!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mascf1 wrote:

Even when the box is set to 5 hours the screen saver kicks in after 4 hours. Fix it Rogers!!!!!

FYI, here is Comcast's response (from a few days ago) to a long-time customer's complaint about the screen saver:

Thank you for your post. There are many customers who utilize this feature daily, and the customizable delays also help a lot. With that said, I know you want to completely disable this feature. I get not having this as an option has not worked out for you which has led to much frustration. We appreciate your 20 years of business and would hate to lose you as a customer. At this time, I don't see we have plans to disable this yet. We will, in the meantime, take all feedback from our customers and listen closely.

mascf1
I Plan to Stick Around

The box isn't even obeying the 5 hour setting!!!!!   So this needs to be FIXED!!!!!!

Kerri151515
I've Been Here Awhile
Mine doesn’t either. It shuts off after 4 hours. Which isn’t even an option.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats